Last visit was: It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:47 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:29 am 
i love orange

OMG this is priceless, someone please stop me from laughing, I'm loving this topic, it's hilarious! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:43 pm 
exploring my potential!

i only wanted barbie so i could brush her hair
i was never alowed to have long hair as a child
hair was the only thing i was ever jealous of barbie lol
and now that i am an adult, i have a beautifule tumble of long wavy auburn hair
kiss my ass barbie, ill snap you like a twig

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:56 pm 
orange you glad?

Mine did have sex. But the storylines came first. With eleborate escape attempts and punishments. Mind you, they were the original opressors*nodnod*.
I don't feel so weird now.
I had a Pink Rhino, who ran a "Barbie Brothel" if I recall right.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:48 am 
i bite back hardcore

I'm just going to add something back to the original topic. I actually won this at my work today.

http://www.barbiecollector.com/showcase/product.aspx?id=1003735&t=modern&t2=series&x=series&y=s150054&sort=name

I'm still not sure what to think.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:28 pm 
orange you glad?

Eeek. But wait, isn't that kinda what Cher has made her self look like anyway? I mean made she's alittle more human but...

Same body type as the Dallas Cowboy ones. Apparently they are making quite afew with this body type now. *sigh*

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:42 pm 
stranger in an orange land

dark angel wrote:
OMG, I feel sooo normal, lol, I never did anything weird with barbie dolls! Aawwhh, why didn't I do that stuff, now I feel like I'm not disordered at all! Haha, I've always thought I was the strange one, but now I feel so much better... Just joking, I'm laughing my a$$ off here, about all the comments on ripping the heads offa barbie dolls, yeehh, I'd so love to do that now! Shame I don't have a barbie doll to play with! Pouts, and sulks... :brocolli: :carrot: :banana: :pickle:

I didnt do that either, but I sure want to stick my finger down those barbies throats and show little girls how they dont want to be that skinny, dont want to worry about their waist size and whether something makes them look fat, dont want to be obsessive about their weight, dont want to look at thinspo, now in fucking barbies, just wishing they could be that beautiful... Maybe they should make an emaciated Barbie, and teach little girls that unless there bones are all showing, and their body fat is 0, theyre fat, ugly and worthless... *eye-roll* I bet they're gonna do that someday, and make even more little girls, even younger than all of us, "anorexic beauties." God, dont they realize how much it hurts to see barbies that tiny, and know that looks considered impossible? They need to take that barbie off the line!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:20 pm 
the original orange

gothicluvergrrl wrote:
I didnt do that either, but I sure want to stick my finger down those barbies throats and show little girls how they dont want to be that skinny, dont want to worry about their waist size and whether something makes them look fat, dont want to be obsessive about their weight, dont want to look at thinspo,

How would sticking your finger down a barbie's throat convince them... lol that's like George W. Bush wanting to start World War III to prevent World War III. (Which he indicated some months ago he wanted to do, giggling as he said it.)

Quote:
now in fucking barbies, just wishing they could be that beautiful... Maybe they should make an emaciated Barbie, and teach little girls that unless there bones are all showing, and their body fat is 0, theyre fat, ugly and worthless... *eye-roll*

The current body structure of Barbie is already unrealistic... and already impossible for a human to achieve without extensive surgery. You would like to see things made worse? For what reason?

Quote:
I bet they're gonna do that someday, and make even more little girls, even younger than all of us, "anorexic beauties."

I'm not anorexic. I recovered nearly two years ago. Moreover, I think the "thin is in" bandwagon will run into a backlash as more people discover that crash dieting is not a sustainable lifestyle.

Quote:
God, dont they realize how much it hurts to see barbies that tiny, and know that looks considered impossible? They need to take that barbie off the line!

If you don't want to support the maker of a toy, boycott the toymaker. Stop buying their products. Tell others why you boycott them. This is in essence putting "sanctions" on that particular company... hopefully to urge them to clean up their act and make better toys, better products.

If you don't like something about society, you have the power to stop it... by refusing to participate in it. That choice is powerful.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:29 pm 
exploring my potential!

Here are some real role models for Women and young girls:

Karen Horny
Mother Jones
Rachel Carson
Anita Hill
Gladys Tantaquidgeon
Bella Abzug
Maya Lin
Mary Wollstonecraft
Georgia O’Keeffe
Dorthea Dix
Simone de Beauvoir
Dolores Fernandez Huerta
Shirley Chisholm
Julia Morgan
Alice Walker
Charlayne Hunter-Gault
Mother Theresa
Margaret Fuller
Luisa Capetillo
Dolores Fernandez Huerta
Betty Friedan
Shirley Chisholm
Grace Murray Hopper
Jane Adams
Marie Curie
Rita Mae Brown
Margaret Sanger
Mary Cassatt
Helen Caldicott
Althea Gibson`
Isabel Allende
Marian Anderson
Jane Austen
Clara Barton
Ruth Harkness
Francis Perkins Alice Paul
Elizabeth Cady Stanton
Eeanor Roosevelt
Babe Didrikson
Jane Goddall
Gloria Stienem
Helen Caldicott
Barbara Jordon
Madame CJ Walker

Toni Morrison
Wilma Rudolopf
Geraldine Ferraro
Frida Kahlo
Gabriela Mistral
Fanny Lou Hamer
Marian Wright Edelman
Chai Ling
Wilma Mankiller
Aung San Suu Kyi
Gertrude Elion
Carrie Chapman Catt
Maggie Kuhn
Clara McBride Hale
Mary Wallstonecraft
Elizabeth Blackwell
Marian Anderson
Zora Neale Hurston
Sandra Day O’Connor
Alice Walker
Emmeline Pankhurst
Hellen Keller
Ida Tarbell
Sally Ride
Willa Cather
Maria Montessori
Sojourner Truth
Mary Shelley

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:22 pm 
I've always thought the whole 'Barbie encourages a disordered body image' idea is a little weird. When I was a child I never remember thinking I wanted to look like Barbie. I had a lot of them because my mum wasn't allowed one when she was a child as her mother thought Barbie encouraged the idea that women should stay at home have children and not have careers etc... where the hell she got that idea I don't know but that was back when Barbie was never a doctor or a vet etc.. so anyway my mum brought quite a few for me. Actually weirdly Barbie was a good role model for me I think. My favourite was my one that was a vet and black... but the fact she was black or had the body shape she had were irrelevant. I happen to live in a very white populated area of England so I did like her partly because she was unusual compared to the rest of my barbies and well everyone I knew but it wasn't really relevant. <shrugs> I just never remember thinking 'oh I must be thin like her'...
There was Cindy also.. but she was ugly.. sorry but she just was. She looked shapeless and didn't have the bright glossy hair of Barbie... if anything Barbie always seemed to have curves. If she were a real person she might well be deformed but she's got a big bust and a bum compared to her waist. When you're a child you aren't thinking 'what would she look like in real life?'.
Although the new Barbie does dissapoint me a little but I still don't think it'll have that much impact. Unless you're buying that one and saying 'oh she's so much better looking than your other lumpy fat Barbie' to your child I can't see it'd have much impact.

Oh and I also used to torture my Barbies XD

Take care all,

Lily

xxx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:05 pm 
exploring my potential!

I was a Barbie Junkie lol, I still have them (though all naked and inside a box in the attic cause my parents wont let me give them away lol). I have 46 of them, and Barbie per se-the blond american one - was never my favourite(despite the popular belief )...i mean i don't even think i had a favourite at all nor did i think i wanted to be like barbie b/c she never seemed realistic to me. I would just play with them and make up stories and the whole set up, dress them up and stuff of the kind which i was too young to do...:-) I also tortured them..lol I'd put them near a lamp and try to operate them hahaha (I'm actaully Laughing as i write this ) Or i'd cut their hair firmly believeing that i would grow back stronger(!!!)

Now, related to the original topic; I believe young girls don't conciouslly think they want to look like the doll. Nevertheless, they do in a more subliminal level...if Barbie is all you know while growing up then, you'll proably take her as a rolemodel. There is where education has a MAIN role. The child must be taught that Barbie is just a toy and just THAT, a piece of plastic with which to proyect/shape their child-fantasies.IMHO, of course.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:23 pm 
i bite back hardcore

I was a barbie addict too! But I never remember wanting to look like her. Rather, I wanted her to look like me! Whenever my mom bought me an outfit, I would insist barbie got a similar looking one to mine! God, I had so many barbies. It was sad really. My older brother used to set them up in very compromising positions when I left the room! I would get so pissed. He thought it was hysterical. Now that I look back on it, it was...
Ahh....good times

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Moderator: post-mods Go to page Previous  1, 2