All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: ASDA's 'mental health patient' costumes
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:34 am 
Demi Mod

Link

Speechless.

And Mind's statement:
Quote:
Asda and Tesco have shown themselves to be extremely misguided with their ‘mental health patient’ and ‘psycho ward’ fancy dress costumes. It is staggeringly offensive to the one in four of us affected by mental health problems and our families and friends, and troubling that some businesses are still so out of touch with the public mood.

However it is encouraging to see the groundswell of outcry on Twitter and that our voices are being heard. We hope this will urge Asda, Tesco and other retailers and manufacturers to review their processes and consider taste and decency on mental health grounds, to avoid fuelling stigma and discrimination that are so damaging for large numbers of the population.

They were since withdrawn.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: ASDA's 'mental health patient' costumes
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:04 pm 
orange wonder

Ugh.

The offensive thing is the title, really.

Conscience has no jury
Like eyes to details turned
Nor has shame a stage
Life perfectionism scorned

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:49 pm 
power lies within

faustinchen wrote:
Ugh.

The offensive thing is the title, really.

yeah, it's just that they called it "mental patient". I see what they're trying to do... it's a "Michael Myers" kind of mental patient, not a general psych ward mental patient.

I actually don't find it that offensive. I think Hallowe'en is becoming WAY too P.C. (IT'S POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GONE MAD) and everyone is showing a whole lot of butthurt over "offensive" costumes.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:02 am 
admin goddess from hell

Truth be told, we have turned Halloween into another "Hallmark holiday" and use it now to support massive corporate greed and exploitation. I couldn't open the link, but would I find a mental health patient or psycho ward costume offensive? Yes, actually. If we are going to celebrate Halloween, why have we moved so far from the origins of this old pagan ritual, a day when the spirits of the dead appeared? Where are the ghosts and skeletons, the grim reaper and the angel of death.

Mental health patients? Sexy French maid costumes? Anorexia costumes? Little girls dressed up in suggestive costumes?

Do I find all those offensive? You bet, and I'm waaaaay too old to be dissuaded by accusations of political correctness.

~~ John Lennon

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:45 am 
power lies within

(the image was of a bloody-cleaver wielding man in bloodied hospital clothing)

Again, there was nothing inherently offensive about that "Ana Rexia" costume except the title. It was just a slutty dress with a skeleton printed on it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:24 pm 
i bite back hardcore

It's enough to have an offensive title. It's what sticks in people's minds.

Saki Santorelli

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:40 pm 
orange wonder

delenda wrote:
yeah, it's just that they called it "mental patient". I see what they're trying to do... it's a "Michael Myers" kind of mental patient, not a general psych ward mental patient.

And if they called it that, I probably wouldn't object... honestly, I don't care too much about giving offense to serial killers^^

But the treating of mental illness as something hilarious or horror story material and the sufferers as haloween monster costumes - I do see a problem.

I mean, does this bear any resemblance to the mentally ill people you've known? Should we be painted with that brush? No, I don't think so.

And when surveys show that a substantial amount of people believe that "mentally ill" people shouldn't have the vote or raise families, I don't think it's just harmless fun. It's a symptom of a general attitude that makes life unecessarily difficult for lots of people.

Also, I really don't think the term "policitcal correctness" is very useful, because it doesn't get across what it's about. It's not (or shouldn't be) about authoritarian censorship or about the delicate sensibilities of a few campaigners. It's about treating everyone with respect and that is at odds with being painted as a laugh or a threat to public safety.

Persephone wrote:
It's enough to have an offensive title. It's what sticks in people's minds.

Sorry, I should have expanded that earlier.
I do the problem with the label rather than with the costume design itself but I do see a problem.

Conscience has no jury
Like eyes to details turned
Nor has shame a stage
Life perfectionism scorned

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:56 am 
i bite back hardcore

I've been to many parties with this kind of costume, and if you ask them what they are, they reply "Mike Myers" or someone from The Texas Chainsaw Massacre or something. Nobody ever says "I'm a mental patient". Maybe it's a copyright issue? They needed a name nobody had used before. I'd have no problem with "Psycho killer". But seeing it in print like that, people might start replying "I'm a mental patient". Too general. Sure, axe wielding murderers are technically mental patients, but c'mon!!!

Saki Santorelli

Offline Profile