Last visit was: It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:59 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: Abercrombie & Fitch Refuses To Make Clothes For Fat Peop
PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:43 am 
admin goddess from hell

A seven year old comment goes viral:

Quote:
Abercrombie & Fitch's Reputation Takes A Hit After CEO's 'Fat' Comments Resurface
By Harry Bradford
May 16, 2013

Abercrombie and Fitch? More like Abercrombie and Ditch.

The apparel retailer has seen its reputation nosedive over the past two weeks since controversial comments made by its CEO Mike Jeffries resurfaced online, according to brand researcher YouGov BrandIndex.

(In case you missed it, Business Insider published a story that contained comments Jeffries originally made in an interview with Salon in 2006 saying he doesn't want "fat" or "not so cool" kids wearing his company's clothes.)

YouGov's BrandIndex measures positive versus negative feedback about a brand. The chart below illustrates consumer perception among 18 to 34 year olds as compared to American Eagle and H&M.

Attachment:
ABERCROMBIE-AND-FITCH-REPUTATION-570.jpg
ABERCROMBIE-AND-FITCH-REPUTATION-570.jpg [ 48.88 KiB | Viewed 5276 times ]

Jeffries is now doing his best to remedy the situation. He even posted a rebuttal on Facebook saying that his company is “completely opposed to any discrimination, bullying, derogatory characterizations or other anti-social behavior.”

But the mea culpa may not be enough. Many, including Kirstie Alley, have condemned Jeffries' comments. A YouTube video deriding Abercrombie and Fitch’s self-prescribed cool kid image has already reached over 4.5 million views.

A phone call request for comment from Abercrombie and Fitch was not immediately returned Thursday evening.

~~ John Lennon

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:20 am 
power lies within

interesting. I have to wonder how they gather the data for that little chart.

also I don't know that a significant number of people changed their mind about the brand... I've always viewed it with indifference bordering on aversion, but now they are talking about the company.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:52 am 
orange you prolific

Quote:
Jeffries is now doing his best to remedy the situation. He even posted a rebuttal on Facebook saying that his company is “completely opposed to any discrimination, bullying, derogatory characterizations or other anti-social behavior.”

This is so ridiculous… as if posting that on facebook is going to make a difference?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:19 pm 
orange is a state of mind

So I pulled an old, secondhand button-down out of the closet this morning because that's what I wear to do yardwork, and I looked to see what it was made of because the fabric is the exact stuff I'm looking for to make a skirt. Anyway. Turns out, the only A&F thing I'm aware of owning is a hand-me-down shirt that I wear when I don't want to mess up my "nice" clothes. Just goes to show that labels only have as much meaning as we give them.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 1:27 pm 
power lies within

Kate the great wrote:
So I pulled an old, secondhand button-down out of the closet this morning because that's what I wear to do yardwork, and I looked to see what it was made of because the fabric is the exact stuff I'm looking for to make a skirt. Anyway. Turns out, the only A&F thing I'm aware of owning is a hand-me-down shirt that I wear when I don't want to mess up my "nice" clothes. Just goes to show that labels only have as much meaning as we give them.

You must look so cool when you do yardwork.

*the sarcasm in this comment is directed towards Jeffries, not Kate!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:39 pm 
orange you prolific

Kate the great wrote:

I don't have anything A&F and am not aware of having ever owned any but I used to get a kick out of wearing Aeropostle sweatshirts for the same reason (I got them secondhand too!). I wore them mostly for autumn and spring yardwork and occasionally for hiking. I finally ended up shredding both of them but they got me through a lot of raking and cleaning up muck in the spring.

Kelly

My cats think I'm perfect just the way I am!

Your feelings will not kill you, engaging in disordered behaviors could.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Moderator: post-mods Go to page Previous  1, 2