Last visit was: It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:10 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: A new drink -the rediculous trop50 ! Don't be roped in!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:31 pm 
orange is a state of mind

**TRIGGER WARNING**

Please keep in mind that the following link is a press release description of trop 50... And will contain nutritional information and WELL bullcrap.

http://www.trop50.co.uk/

This is a new drink from tropicana. Its advertisements are just spreading more food hating crap to its potential cutomers. My favourite orange juice in its original form. I've drank it forever.
But now I wave goodbye to it.

This is just another example of food manufacturers to label foods as bad for you and to get you to buy their product. Don't be roped into this.
Okay so orange juice... mmmm yummy, tasty, healthy ... great with breakfast... so why tamper with it?

The new trop50 is the newest addition to the range and is a half juice drink that states its half the energy value of a normal orange drink - and states that it is healthier because it instead of containing 100% juice it contains 50% water, sweeteners, chemicals and 50% orange juice.

Ha let me tell you...
I can't even believe tropicana is promoting this as healthy -
:evil: Do they know what artificial sweeteners can do in excessive comsumption etc? And encouraging restriction.
Another hyper expensive product to exploit the insecurities of its customers.

Maybe you also know of similar products - that are as rediculous as this and maybe you should question consumption of products labelled diet. I know many of us struggle with dairy products etc, but trust me, normal version of this yogurts are so yummy I know I will be a life long convert.

Please feel free to discuss this.
I can't believe a product like this is becoming a main stream item on our shelves!

Life is what you make it :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: A new drink -the rediculous trop50 ! Don't be roped in!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:39 pm 
orange you prolific

I was curious about trop50 the first time I saw the commercial.

I don't think the one in the US has artificial sweeteners? It has stevia- which is a zero calorie sweetener extracted from a plant. I've seen research both stating that stevia is healthy to eat and unhealthy- but have seen much more stating that it's healthy.

I don't know what to think. I do agree with this:
eniebee wrote:
Okay so orange juice... mmmm yummy, tasty, healthy ... great with breakfast... so why tamper with it?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:53 am 
i bite back hardcore

The main negative I can find with stevia is lowered sperm count in rats. So, fine unless you're a male rat? Saying that, I'm not a fan if non-calorific sweeteners, 'natural' or not. It's not good to confuse the body by making it think it's getting some sweet calories, and then not deliver them.

Saki Santorelli

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:56 am 
Orange Admin

Persephone wrote:
The main negative I can find with stevia is lowered sperm count in rats. So, fine unless you're a male rat?

Well, that's me and my sperm count screwed then.

:razz:

"Don't compromise yourself. You are all you've got."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:03 am 
orange is a state of mind

veGA wrote:
Persephone wrote:
The main negative I can find with stevia is lowered sperm count in rats. So, fine unless you're a male rat?

Well, that's me and my sperm count screwed then.

:razz:

Hahahahaha :'))) You're hilarious !

In regards to Stevia - I don't know - I think if your going to eat something sweet have sugar - it still seems artificial to me... ? Well, I guess consuming it would be food disordered, because the point of taking in sweet food is for energy as is all food and stevia just doesnt.
I'm total anti sweetener I think because I was hooked on it (diet coke, canderel in my tea/coffee, i started mixing sweetner into food etc... ). Maybe this one could be different but I'm guna avoid it like the plague !

Life is what you make it :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:46 pm 
i bite back hardcore

Sugar, honey, maple sugar, molasses, glucose syrup, rice syrup, coconut nectar, carob powder... Not to mention dates, raisins etc
It's not like there isn't a large choice of yummy calorific sweeteners.

Saki Santorelli

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:57 pm 
admin goddess from hell

I have to agree. While stevia is marketed as an "all natural" sweetener, the real attraction is that it has no calories (and often has a nasty, bitter taste). The body needs sugars to survive: everything we consume is converted to glucose, so assuming you are eating a wide range of foods and getting adequate nutrition, why use an untested sweetener in something you are presumeably eating for enjoyment, unless there is a medical reason to limit sugars.

And as to "all natural", well, mercury is all natural, but I won't be adding it to anything I eat any time soon.

~~ John Lennon

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:06 am 
i bite back hardcore

Spender wrote:

And as to "all natural", well, mercury is all natural, but I won't be adding it to anything I eat any time soon.

LOL!! :smile:

Saki Santorelli

Offline Profile