Last visit was: It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Super Size Vs Super Skinny- Kids!?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:04 am 
orange you glad?

For those of you in the UK, You may know the programme 'Supersize Vs SuperSkinny' but recently they've been running a kids version...

My opinion? I think it's wrong. Of course kids need to know about nutrition and how to keep healthy and yes to be underweight or overweight isn't but to do it this way, on national TV? Some as young as 11 having what they ate for a week and how much they weigh broadcasted?

What worries me most is some of these kids who don't already have an eating disorder will wind up having one after the filming has ended. In one episode I saw the other night, Dr Christian Jessen (He's such an orange muppet) repeated picked on and criticized one young schoolgirl for having chocolate for breakfast (she'd had chocolate spread on toast) Maybe not the healthiest of option everyday but it's not a bad food to be avoided altogether and she should certainly not be made to feel bad about it..

Thoughts?

Here's a link to the programme

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/supersize-vs-superskinny-kids

Eat food and live life.

Fight fear that keeps you from doing that.

Let go of thoughts that aren't worth your time.

~
http://recoveringinspirings.blogspot.com/

^Read me on Tuesdays :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:08 am 
feeling out the orange

I hate these programmes with adults but doing it with children that's idiotic..god knows the impact it will have on their future..in my opinion channel four are totally irresponsible for making it let alone broadcasting it..

my boys eat chocolate spread on toast quite often lol kids will be kids..I think everything in moderation..my boys have a balanced diet..but like junk food to..they are kids after all.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:32 am 
chocolate spread on toast can be such a good part of a healthy breakfast... just 'cause there's chocolate in the name doesn't make it junk food. At least she eats breakfast... so many people don't.

the adult one, I can see some value in, as it's the only show I can think of that actually celebrates weight gain for those who need it.

but with children... sigh. a lot of children are heavy when they enter puberty, but they honestly grow out of it. And if they are a little bit heavier, then so what! I really don't believe in weight loss for children at all, unless it's medically necessary [like, they can't be kids any more because of their weight], and it's supervised by a good doctor, and not based on BMI [which is a shoddy measure for adults at best, and was never designed to be used for kids] oh, and with this show in particular... most kids don't make their own food or do the grocery shopping. how about the parents get involved in their child's well-being, and have them all get educated about nutrition, oh and DON'T broadcast it on television.
[/rant]

sorry, but i think that version of the show is completely ridiculous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:02 pm 
orange scribe

I think that doing it with children is exploitation.

and can you imagine how those children must be made fun of when they go to school?

in the United States there was this proposed obesity ad (I say proposed, but I think it was slightly distributed before it caused an uproar) - of children -- hinting that there was a problem with these children (they were overweight).

I cannot how ridiculed those children must be at school.

I think giving the parents lessons in nutrition would be far better serving.

I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

http://recoverysabotage.tumblr.com/

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:09 pm 
orange wonder

Fuck that, that's child abuse!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:17 pm 
orange you prolific

Siiiiigh, this programme makes me bat shit fucking angy
(sorry if that offends anyone...)

It IS pure exploitation. For those kids that do have eating disorders, Hey.. lets make them swap intake for a week, that'll change their mindset. Well done channel 4, you've probably emotionally scarred them for life at the sake of making a couple of hundred quid. This is another one of the hundred reasons I freaking hate this county..and the media. I've kept well away from watching this... disgusting = best way I can describe it.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:34 pm 
orange scribe

if they really want to look into children's diets... I truly say make the parents eat what their children are eating... I mean that... that would probably be eye opening.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:07 pm 
post-mod squad

This reminds me of an article a nurse brought in when I was in the hospital. It was about how children in the UK have to get weighed as part of their physical examination, and the NHS was sending letters to the families of the children who were overweight, outlining "proper" diets and exercise. Apparently it really bothered a lot of the kids and parents, and one child was so upset he stopped eating and became really active. It really disturbed us and we ended up writing a letter to the newspaper.

As a child, you shouldn't have to worry about what you eat, and there certainly shouldn't be so much emphasis on what you weigh. I know many children have "baby fat" until they hit puberty...

Honestly, this is how eating disorders start. It's disgusting.

It will always be there, sitting between you and the incredible life that is waiting on the other side. So I guess it's up to you when you want to deal with it, how many years you think is enough of a sacrifice, how much life you are willing to lose.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:22 pm 
orange you prolific

Emma, I literally couldn't have put it better myself!! :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:32 pm 
orange scribe

I just googled and whatnot (watching an episode on youtube --- on pause as I type this) === I still think it's exploitation, but at least they are involving the parents.

I don't think this should be a televised thing though, because I still cannot fathom being those children and then going to school after it's been aired... and the emotional consequence of knowing your parents thought you weren't okay... I don't know.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:36 pm 
orange scribe

btw: off topic -- what are "pasties" I'm not even sure if that's the spelling... it's just sort of sounds like - pah - stees --- ???

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:44 pm 
orange scribe

I can't believe they did the tube thing to illustrate their food too.... equating shame to food

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:03 pm 
orange you glad?

FadingHippie wrote:
I just googled and whatnot (watching an episode on youtube --- on pause as I type this) === I still think it's exploitation, but at least they are involving the parents.

I don't think this should be a televised thing though, because I still cannot fathom being those children and then going to school after it's been aired... and the emotional consequence of knowing your parents thought you weren't okay... I don't know.

It is pure exploitation, with or without the parents being involved...

As you say, imagen what happens to these poor kids when they go to school? If they weren't bullied before they sure will be now!

And Emma you're right: Kids shouldn't have to worry about weight and what they eat, god I wish I hadn't!

Parents need to be educated but not at the expense of their children! I wonder if they get paid for the programme? (The parents, not the kids)

And yeah, chocolate spread can be healthy. I know Nutella has calcium in it for a start. But at the end of the day (excuse me but this whole thing has made me real mad) Who gives a fuck! It's yummy.

Allow children to be children!!

Eat food and live life.

~

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:06 pm 
orange you glad?

FadingHippie wrote:
btw: off topic -- what are "pasties" I'm not even sure if that's the spelling... it's just sort of sounds like - pah - stees --- ???

Ewww, Personally I hate Pasties. The originate from Cornwall where I lived for two and a half years so being around them for so long gets to you! :)

Your 'Original' pasty is meat & potato in a gravey sauce wrapped in pastry but you do get veggie one's too. Some people love them *Shudder*

Eat food and live life.

~

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:09 pm 
orange you glad?

FadingHippie wrote:
I can't believe they did the tube thing to illustrate their food too.... equating shame to food

Yup. Despicable! The look of shame and embarrassment on those poor kids faces :(

Eat food and live life.

~

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Moderator: post-mods Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next