Last visit was: It is currently Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:52 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: That bastard Special K campaign
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:56 pm 
orange addict

What will you gain when you lose?

Fuzzy hair, being cold, seeing bones, irregular heartbeats, respiratory problems, distorted body image.

No thanks special K.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 6:50 am 
orange wonder

Thecloverbunny5 wrote:
What will you gain when you lose?

Fuzzy hair, being cold, seeing bones, irregular heartbeats, respiratory problems, distorted body image.

This.

Conscience has no jury
Like eyes to details turned
Nor has shame a stage
Life perfectionism scorned

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:39 am 
orange goddess

Quote:
//i think these conversations make bore me to a degree//
they insinuate that we're idiots who have no choice but to fall victim to this form of advertising... when really? we all have a choice.

Quote:
and i am not sure i really count online sort-of petitions as doing something, but i'm undecided so i took out my last paragraph -- i say this as the campaign originates in the States so it seems weird to target the UK

Quote:
However, I do want to say that I am not a supporter of the "free market" regulating itself. If a few people decide not to buy a product because of its messaging, the impact of loss of that customer base may well be more than compensated for by the increase in a new, impressionable customer base. For that reason, organised campaigns and petitions ARE important because they let companies know that people are boycotting their products (which they don't know if you just don't buy), they know why people are boycotting their products, and they know the risks of not addressing the situation in the world of instant communication and social media used to effect social change.

Every person makes a difference, and right now we only change the world one person at a time. Be the person. Or as someone far more intelligent and eloquent than I said, "Be the change you want to see in the world."

Kat- I hear ya...so rather than just being annoyed by the ad..I contacted a radio station here and this morning I was live on air with Kelloggs Press Officer, airing my concerns about this latest ad.

Here is the link if anyone cares to listen:My segment is on around the 1 hour 40min mark...oh and I gave a shout out to WBB also..Promo and all that jazz!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00vt2wh

:heart:

whether u think u can, or think u cant-UR RIGHT!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:16 am 
orange is a state of mind

Just wanted to add my effort to this thread!
Yes I did get a hell of a lot of funny looks by battering this billboard!

Attachments:
22082012 041.jpg
22082012 041.jpg [ 52.56 KiB | Viewed 8742 times ]

Life is what you make it :)
Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:06 pm 
orange addict

eniebee wrote:

Wow, your pretty :3, haha

And yeah I'd probably do something weird to for no reason so your better at that.
Like skipping down the shopping isle singing we're off to see the wizard with my best friend.
So yeah NEED INTENTIONS

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:14 pm 
orange you prolific

Thecloverbunny5 wrote:
eniebee wrote:

And yeah I'd probably do something weird to for no reason so your better at that.
Like skipping down the shopping isle singing we're off to see the wizard with my best friend.
So yeah NEED INTENTIONS

I've done this. I also like to dance in the supermarket shaking cracker boxes like maracas..... Weird is just more fun.

Kelly

My cats think I'm perfect just the way I am!

Your feelings will not kill you, engaging in disordered behaviors could.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:44 pm 
orange addict

komich wrote:
Thecloverbunny5 wrote:
eniebee wrote:

So yeah NEED INTENTIONS

I've done this. I also like to dance in the supermarket shaking cracker boxes like maracas..... Weird is just more fun.

Agreed. :3
I think everyone at some point wants to be weird. Butt is just to afraid to do it. Due to society. While iiiiiiiiiiii don't care about society.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 2:40 pm 
orange you prolific

Thecloverbunny5 wrote:

Agreed. :3
I think everyone at some point wants to be weird. Butt is just to afraid to do it. Due to society. While iiiiiiiiiiii don't care about society.

Well with having Asperger's I don't feel I have a choice so I'm all about just EMBRACING the weird. Like I said, weird is fun.

Kelly

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 4:47 pm 
Orange Admin

Just thought I'd drop by and say that I saw a Special K ad on television earlier and instead of showing scales and saying "What will you gain when you lose?", they just showed general women and cereal shots and said "What will you gain?"

I can't help but wonder if it was thanks to Ciara speaking out to Mr Special K and challenging the way they were phrasing things... anyway, no objections to this new ad from me!

"Don't compromise yourself. You are all you've got."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:52 pm 

I still don't like TV's ability to promote dieting to people, dieting is known to provoke ED's in people. I'm still not comfortable with the adverts, but yes I wonder if it was due to Ciara!
Diet's can start harmless but can turn into something sinister.
It makes out that its a good thing if eveyone lost a few pounds as the saying goes, which is untrue. No wonder women have no confidence in their bodies, its really sad :(

Doctors's should be the only people who can suggest dieting to people in my opinion; to the minority who actually do need to diet, and also advised in the absence of vulnerable young children's ears -
we all know that companies like special K are making money out of the unfortunate state of women's body image selling products labelled 'diet' and 'low fat' -
They don't say their products have a mahoosive sugar content do they or that following hte special K diet is unbalanced and unhealthy.
Their only motive is profit margins, they don't give a crap about the state of the populations mental health! (sorry it makes me angry!!!!!!!!!! thanks for creating this thread!!!!!!!!)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:31 pm 
orange you prolific

^ And it's less dieting that doctors need to counsel people on and more stopping unhealthy eating behaviors. This means not suggesting lean cuisines to someone who has problems with restriction

Kelly

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:10 am 

komich wrote:
^ And it's less dieting that doctors need to counsel people on and more stopping unhealthy eating behaviors. This means not suggesting lean cuisines to someone who has problems with restriction

Completely!!! I think most doctors could do with a couple more lectures about EDs in medical school :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:21 pm 
orange you prolific

eniebee wrote:
komich wrote:

Completely!!! I think most doctors could do with a couple more lectures about EDs in medical school :P

When I was in grad school I hung out with the med students because I was doing research in their field. Got to know a few of them real well and a few of the ladies knew of my ed. One of them called me one day and said, "we had our nutrition talk and eating disorder talk today... you're going to cringe on the amount of time we spent". I thought if it's cringe-level it must have been an hour. Her response? A giggle and "fifteen minutes".

*nicki

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:17 pm 
orange you prolific

chickadee wrote:
eniebee wrote:
komich wrote:

When I was in grad school I hung out with the med students because I was doing research in their field. Got to know a few of them real well and a few of the ladies knew of my ed. One of them called me one day and said, "we had our nutrition talk and eating disorder talk today... you're going to cringe on the amount of time we spent". I thought if it's cringe-level it must have been an hour. Her response? A giggle and "fifteen minutes".

*nicki

That explains a lot.....

Kelly

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:37 pm 

Your joking :O ? x
That's utterly inadequate !
Taken the fact its a unfortunately common illness !

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Moderator: post-mods Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next