Last visit was: It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:39 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Breaking Dawn
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:28 pm 
kismetjeska

I know the film Breaking Dawn from the Twilight franchise has been out a while now. But all the same-

I've heard from multiple people that Bella becomes fairly emaciated during it- computer edited, but I've heard quite a few people say they found it very triggering.

Admittedly, I haven't seen it and I don't plan to. I just wanted to post this to say that if you haven't seen it yet, it might be a good idea to consider if you're in a healthy enough place to watch it right now.

If you've seen it- what did you think?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Breaking Dawn
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:38 pm 
orange is a state of mind

She does become emaciated but it wasn't triggering for me. She wasn't trying to be thin, the 'baby' was basically sucking the life out of her. I found her appearance nothing to strive for, as she looked like death. It wasn't done in a way that idolized the 'thin' ideal. It was said over and over that she looked like hell and they were afraid she would die before the baby was born.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:44 pm 
post-mod squad

I haven't seen it but I saw a still from the movie and I'll admit that I found it triggering, but that's to be expected. I can't say much since I haven't seen it and don't plan to unless I'm extremely drunk or high or can see it for free. Just sayin'.

It will always be there, sitting between you and the incredible life that is waiting on the other side. So I guess it's up to you when you want to deal with it, how many years you think is enough of a sacrifice, how much life you are willing to lose.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:20 am 
orange is a state of mind

I watched it, and the first thing I look was
`Man she looks like crap there!`
however I could see how it could be triggering or used as 'thinspiration'
Thing is she does look like hell and is on deaths door, so at least it isn't glamourised in that sense

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:06 am 
orange you glad?

I saw it with a few friends not that long ago. I'm not too sure what I thought about it to be honest. I didn't really find it that triggering- I agree, she does look absolutely crap and in no way does it look 'good' or made me wish I looked like her. Maybe it helped too as I was aware beforehand and knew it was computer edited? But thanks for the heads up though Jess :)

He reached down from on high and took hold of me; he drew me out of deep waters.
He rescued me from my powerful enemy, from my foes, who were too strong for me.
They confronted me in the day of my disaster, but the LORD was my support.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:04 pm 
Demi Mod

I didn't find it triggering at all, which was quite a surprise to me. It was actually more like a wake up call for me, seeing extremely thin Bella beside normalweight Rosalie and Alice, and noricing how much better looking the normalweight persons were. And as someone already mentioned, it wasn't glamorised at all, it was portrayed as something very negative. And when she gained weight again, omg, she was beautiful!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 7:04 pm 
i love orange

I am kind of relived to find out that someone else who is either in recovery or in the process of recovery feels the same way. When I saw it, I felt sick and I was screaming inside my head how this is so triggering. I work in retail so when I am ringing customers up and I had a mother and her daughter and daughter's friend in my line they were talking about the movie.

I love Twilight the cast are great actors, but don't get me wrong, but I just didn't like this one because of the fact the baby makes Bella emnicpated and it just bought up bad memories of when I was going through the anorexia stage of my eating disorder. The mother asked me what I thought of the movie when I explained how I didn't like it and why because of Bella's apperance and I explained how it was like a trigger type image or feeling I was explaining having a eating disorder and recovering.

This woman actually understood where I was coming from and she was very nice about it even wished me luck with my recovery and in school after I explained why I had gone back into college for.

Offline Profile