Last visit was: It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:55 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: Things that make us shout, "Boo!!! Hiss!!!"
PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:44 pm 
galactic orange

Kate, we must be haunting the same Collins St book shop.. I actually came here to post about that stupid book! My friend and I had great fun going over how wrong it was. I took the photos with the intention of writing a blog post about how ridiculous it is (and then spamming it around the web).
I was so tempted to graffiti the shit out of it, but alas, my sharpie was not in my bag (and I do enjoy that book shop and would like to be able to return in the future).
Next time I stroll in though, some sticky labels will be added to the inside cover of all copies I can find, with a hilarious message I am yet to decide on, but can be summarised by BURN THIS SHIT.

Attachments:
back cover.jpg
back cover.jpg [ 47.75 KiB | Viewed 9306 times ]
that effing book.jpg
that effing book.jpg [ 50.33 KiB | Viewed 9306 times ]
Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:16 pm 
orange you prolific

^
Can I admit I want to find the person who wrote that and shake them vigorously (I'd want more but I'm seriously a non-violent person, otherwise I'd go with stab in the face)?

Kelly

My cats think I'm perfect just the way I am!

Your feelings will not kill you, engaging in disordered behaviors could.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:39 pm 
admin goddess from hell

That book makes me feel sick. I want to "do" something about it, but short of burning down bookstores (which may be a bit of an over-reaction), I can't think what anyone could do that wouldn't just draw more attention to it.

~~ John Lennon

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:54 pm 
post-mod squad

Ah Sally I know what you mean. I work at a bookstore and every time I have to shelve it or place it on display I just want to throw it in the garbage or deface it. Of course, I would get fired for that... I hate the title of it so much. "Get skinnier than all your friends" because that's all that matters, right? Being thinner than those you're supposed to love and care about because it'll... make you feel better about yourself? The fuck is with all this competition?

Elle I couldn't believe the excerpt you posted. That makes me so mad I just want to punch someone.

It will always be there, sitting between you and the incredible life that is waiting on the other side. So I guess it's up to you when you want to deal with it, how many years you think is enough of a sacrifice, how much life you are willing to lose.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:30 pm 
admin goddess from hell

Ok, it's not a photo, but seriously: WTF???

Quote:
...campaigns that stigmatized against obese people were not only rated most negatively, but also as least motivating for behavior change. This suggests that blaming, shaming, or stigmatizing against people in respect to their weight might not actually help them change. One such campaign was the publicly-criticized Children's Health Care of Atlanta Campaign against childhood obesity, which made statements like: “Being fat takes the fun out of being a kid,” and, “Chubby kids may not outlive their parents.”

Examiner

Boo-fucking-hiss indeed!

~~ John Lennon

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:42 pm 
orange scribe

RE the "Super Skinny" tag on the jeans... that's just a cut/fit style. It's not a reference to body type, unless you make it one.

It means the jeans are skinny (referencing a cut/style) jeans and fit very closely to the body (or are meant to when worn properly). We have "Super Skinny" fit jeans at my work and they come in size 25-32. If it were a reference to body type they wouldn't come in that range of sizes

I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

http://recoverysabotage.tumblr.com/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:46 pm 
orange scribe

and all of these things only have the power you give them... even getting angry is giving them power... power to control your emotions.

i see something. i think it's ridiculous. i move on.

and RE the being overweight takes the fun out of being a kid... i wonder what responses kids would give if asked how (or if) being overweight has impacted their childhood.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:08 pm 
admin goddess from hell

FadingHippie wrote:
RE the "Super Skinny" tag on the jeans... that's just a cut/fit style. It's not a reference to body type, unless you make it one.

It means the jeans are skinny (referencing a cut/style) jeans and fit very closely to the body (or are meant to when worn properly). We have "Super Skinny" fit jeans at my work and they come in size 25-32. If it were a reference to body type they wouldn't come in that range of sizes

It's not the jeans that make me mad: I wear skinny and even "super skinny" jeans all the time, as well as low cut and "super low cut". I like the fit - I lived through the '80's when everything was baggy and had pleated high waists, and I love the elasticity and fit of skinnies and I hate clothes that tighten around my waist.

It's the attaching of a cutsie little tag to it, heavy plastic, that could be attached to anything or hung from a mirror in some poor person's proana nightmare - that's what pisses me off.

And yes, the consumer has the freedom to "walk on by", but the reality is that eating disorders are on the rise and part of that is the cult of skinny that is motivating more and more men and women to seek unrealistic or - for them - unhealthy body sizes and shapes which triggers a neurobiological predisposition to engage in restrictive behaviour, for many, a life long plague, and for some of those, a life-threatening mental illness.

~~ John Lennon

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:20 pm 
orange scribe

I just think you're selling yourself short by saying a piece of plastic or the name of a brand can alter your behavior and trick you that much. It's YOU at the end of the day giving it the power. Plastic on its own? Powerless. And if there's that much power there you can harness it for recovery instead of just irritation and anger at the product

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:00 am 
power lies within

fuck, they were all out of "fatbitch" mix.

Attachment:
Picture 1.png
Picture 1.png [ 496.97 KiB | Viewed 9234 times ]

This is such a scam. The serving size for this is such a small amount. It's like taking half a chocolate bar and calling it the "skinny" version because there's such a small amount. It's the exact same product, there's just less of it!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:09 pm 
Orange Admin

delenda wrote:
fuck, they were all out of "fatbitch" mix.

Fucking LOL. :mrgreen:

"Don't compromise yourself. You are all you've got."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:58 pm 
power lies within

I've moved this to keep your eyes peeled. Just so everyone's aware, it is now in a public foyer.

Well, Spender and I found several cringe worthy products are Homesense today, but this one takes the cake (or rather, doesn't eat the cake for fear or its jeans not buttoning).

Attachment:
skinnymix.jpg
skinnymix.jpg [ 93.3 KiB | Viewed 9225 times ]

If you can't read the text: "With my Skinny Appletini you can zip up your skinny jeans and hold your cocktail confidently".

This makes me want to barf, and in an ANTI ED way.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:18 am 
orange goddess

Ewww, that looks like mouthwash.

I have had some of the products featured in this thread and they were revolting

:soapbox:

WARNING: NUMBERS

Okay, I am furious.

I am addicted to real life magazines- you know stories like "I spent my honeymoon with a crocodile" and "I made a painting of the Queen out of Vegemite".

In one of my weeklies this week is an article that makes me sick.

It's from an 18 year old girl talking about how she beat her bullies by losing weight. This in itself is problematic but the worst part is her actual weight.

She admits that she wasn't overweight. Her BMI at her heaviest was 22.5.

The weight she was so proud to get down to? A BMI of 16.5. That would qualify her for an anorexia diagnosis.

There is something seriously seriously fucked up when a popular magazine can publish an article praising a young woman for going from a healthy weight to a weight that is under the threshold for anorexia. And have her talking about how she's entering Australia's Next Top Model but how she feels like a winner anyway because of the weight loss.

I really want to do something- this is not right. How much will this screw with the minds of young women?

I'm going to write to the editor and the publishers. I'm also planning on putting in an official complaint to the Australian Press Council. I don't know what else to do.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:15 am 
Demi Mod

^ That really is awful. I think that it's great you're going to write to the publishers and make a complaint. That is all you can do really.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:55 pm 
orange is a state of mind

wow that is really awful that a magazine would praise that!

Things that are making me shout Boo!!! Hiss!!! Is "fitspiration" Oh my goodness it is driving me crazy!! I hate it! They have just taken thinspiration wacked some gym clothes on and it is now fitspiration. grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Moderator: post-mods Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next