Last visit was: It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:57 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Ok, seriously, WTF???
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:15 pm 
admin goddess from hell

H&M Admits to Using Computer-Generated Bodies for Models

http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/12/07/hm-admits-to-using-computer-generated-bodies-for-models/

"H&M defended their technique by explaining that they designed a body that can better display clothes made for humans than can humans..."

Ummm, if humans can't display the clothes they make, then who the fuck are they making them for???

And I'm REALLY pissed because I really like H&M.

~~ John Lennon

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Ok, seriously, WTF???
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:21 pm 
orange wonder

Easy... they make clothes for window screen dolls ;)

That's where they display them... Well, lucky me, I guess. I never really liked H&M anyway.

But honestly, I hate how these fake pictures of "perfection" widen the gap between the ideal and actual people and only conrtribute to and exploit our insecurities.

Conscience has no jury
Like eyes to details turned
Nor has shame a stage
Life perfectionism scorned

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:22 pm 
orange you prolific

I can't watch ads by them because they are too triggering.

This pisses me off to no end.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:17 pm 
exploring my potential!

Ugh, "much like mannequins" I'm sorry but mannequins are shit too! have you seen them lately? their waists are as big as an infants. , yeah thats just like us, right?

I remember watching Portia de Rossi talk about how at her sickest she had mannequins and her goal was to be as thin as them, and she never did get there, despite almost dying from her e.d. But yeah sure H&M virtual bodies/mannequins are totally great in letting us know what clothes will look like on us, if we were pretend.

stupid company.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:26 pm 
admin goddess from hell

Make your voice heard:

Quote:
http://about.hm.com/ca/contact__aboutcontact.nhtml?ouid=ca&departmentid=corporateresponsibility

This is their "corporate responsibility" section, and I just sent them this:

Quote:
I have been a long-time fan of H&M clothing. I find it fits me very well and I feel good in it.

I am also, however, suffering from life-long and life threatening anorexia, and it was a slap in the face to read this article about computer-generated bodies: http://newsfeed.time.com/2011/12/07/hm- ... or-models/

As one of many people with eating disorders, the images we see of how clothes are "supposed" to look on bodies really influences our disorder and leaves us vulnerable to engaging in behaviours. I'm not blaming H&M, or even the fashion industry for my eating disorder, but I will say that the portrayal of fashion on emaciated and now, not even real, models, is a huge trigger for many of us. Our treatment teams tell us we need to gain weight, and yet, I look at the world of fashion and I think, it's not that bad, I'm not that skinny (at one recent point I was [height] and [weight] while believing I was still fat).

I think it's great that you have a corporate responsibility code, and that you have made a corporate effort to support sustainability and value for work in the making of your clothes, but I dare you - I absolutely dare you - to expand your code to include portrayals of real women wearing your clothes. Heavens, much as it would open up a vast new clientele for you, I'm not even asking you to show "plus" models: just the models who look like real women not on the verge of death by sudden heart failure due to electrolyte imbalances caused by sustained undereating.

~~ John Lennon

Offline Profile