Last visit was: It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:10 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: Pizza is a vegetable.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:30 pm 
orange goddess

I actually posted this to my facebook earlier this week. there was a debate on my facebook page about it. Personally I dont' think it's a vegetable. I think it's a makeup of several food groups. That it contain grain and protein more than anything. I can see if there were vegetables on the piece might consider it a little more vegatable.

I think it's more than congress doesn't want to take pizza or french fries off the menu because it's cheap food and a lot of schools can get the ingredients to make these things from farmers and local communities. My high school always had french friends all the time because they got potatoes from the farmers in the community. I think if they took it off the menu then the agricultural community would suffer greatly in some products that use to produce this stuff.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:55 am 
orange wonder

Okay, counting *that* pizza on Kat's picture as a serving of vegetables would be kind of devious. This tray looks rather uninviting.

Conscience has no jury
Like eyes to details turned
Nor has shame a stage
Life perfectionism scorned

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:47 am 
orange goddess

I think it's sad that so many kids have to rely on the school lunch for food. It just doesn't look very appetizing, and I don't know if it would be that filling. I'd be worried that kids would be hungry an hour later.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:39 am 
orange wonder

I don't know much about American school food, but I find it generally sad to live in a society where low social status means not being able to afford a healthy diet.
A friend told me once about a couple he knew, who had a very low budget, because her parent's were in debt and couldn't support her studies and he had - due to late imigration - fallen through the cracks of social security and could only work for a literal famine wage. They practically used to live on ready-made meals from the discounter because that was the only thing they could afford enough of not to go hungry. E.g., they might have bought some lettuce or fruit but then they couldn't have gotten much else. I was kind of shocked that it's actually that bad for some people in this society. Ironically, she was severely overweight and malnourished at the same time. Not because of a lack of willpower and yaddayadda, but because junk food was all they could buy.

Conscience has no jury
Like eyes to details turned
Nor has shame a stage
Life perfectionism scorned

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:12 pm 
orange is a state of mind

OK- first of all, that pic you posted, Kat. Yuck. In the UK, or at least in all the schools I went to, our food came on plates, not all sectioned up like that. And the pizza we had in school (it was on the menu about once a month) had quite a bit of tomato puree, a touch of cheese and usually sweetcorn and onions on it. That looks like the pizzas I bought as a student that were about 65p for five of them. Not nice.

And yeah, I reckon if it has veg on it- like, real veg that hasn't been obliterated and smeared into a paste, then it counts as a serving of vegetables. But occasionally, not every day. Like I said, the pizza I had in school was a lot nicer than that one looks. I disagree that it should be classed as a veg in itself, and I really don't think that it should be eaten every day. Then again, I prefer to eat something completely different every day anyway, so I don't get bored. I don't see tomato puree as a serving of veg, as I don't see those freeze-dried peas and sweetcorn you get in cup-a-soups as a veg either. I can't help but think that this is giving a weird view of food to kids, and we all know that that doesn't help anyone.

I don't need you to respect me, I respect me,
I don't need you to love me, I love me
But I want you to know, you could know me
If you change your mind

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Moderator: post-mods Go to page Previous  1, 2