Last visit was: It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Pizza is a vegetable.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:31 pm 
power lies within

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/16/us/politics/congress-blocks-new-rules-on-school-lunches.html?_r=3&ref=health

Still a serving of vegetables? I didn't know it ever was considered a serving of vegetables... A quarter cup per slice seems like a lot of tomato paste...

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Pizza is a vegetable.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:44 am 
admin goddess from hell

I thought they pared it back to 2 tbsp? It's easy, a veggie pizza is a veggie and a grain. A meat-laden, greasy, slimy pizza is a...well, let's face it, it has no place on the food pyramid,

~~ John Lennon

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:06 am 
exploring my potential!

But you know that kids won't eat veggie pizza, hell I don't know many adults who will! Personally, I love vegetarian pizza, but I can't imagine too many kids going for it. I would think that the pizza that the kids would most likely want to eat would be something like pepperoni and cheese. It's very stupid, but not surprising when you consider that the US school food program already considers french fries to be a legitimate serving of vegetables.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:16 pm 
orange is a state of mind

I disagree a little Sally,
a meat laden pizza, also provides you with protein.
It's all about balance, and I see no issue with 'greasy meat laden' pizza's being included. Obviously they shouldn't be eaten every day! That would be a problem, however I fully plan on having it tonight and not feeling guilty because there is some nutritional value in there.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:53 pm 

Spender wrote:
I thought they pared it back to 2 tbsp? It's easy, a veggie pizza is a veggie and a grain. A meat-laden, greasy, slimy pizza is a...well, let's face it, it has no place on the food pyramid,

i have to say, sally, that made me feel really guilty for having pizza the other day. =( I think it has a place on the food pyramid. you are still getting grain, fat, protein, and possibly some dairy from the cheese. It's hard for me to have pizza every once in a while because of the fat aspect of it... so, i don't know.. it just was kind of a shock for me to see you say that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:01 pm 
orange wonder

Since it's been a fear food for me as well, I agree with that. (Though I'm happy to report I very much enjoyed one last week without pangs of conscience but with a a lot of fresh jalapenos).

On topic: It doesn't make so much sense to say that pizza *is* a vegetable. Many *have* vegetables and they should count. There's a lot of variety and a big, colourfull pizza fits in several at once....

And I think it makes a difference from what perspective you approach this: Fat and calory content of food doesn't say anything about whether it contains a decent serving of veggies.
Also, I think we tend to overrate the energy aspect and neglect all the other important things that make up a healthy diet, such as variety and vitamins etc...

Conscience has no jury
Like eyes to details turned
Nor has shame a stage
Life perfectionism scorned

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:02 pm 
orange scribe

Pizza is a food. Yes.
I actually just ate some pizza. nom nom nom.

However, do we often have other cooked foods labeled as vegetables so that school cafeterias can get away with serving it? -- that's really what this boils down to though... I mean that too. Not in a conspiracy theory way, but in reality. By labeling it as a vegetable the government can permit schools to not have to change their menus despite the pressures (and possibly soon to be legislature) being placed upon them by the childhood obesity campaigns to do so (which would cost the government money)

School lunches are supposed to be more nutritionally dense for the students who get free lunches and depend on those meals for the bulk of their nutrients. School pizzas are generally not the more healthy pizza options, rather the rectangular pizza we all remember from our childhoods

Is pumpkin pie labeled as a vegetable?

no. does it contain vegetable in it?
YES...

If you actually look at the exchanges that comprise pizza it wouldn't be quite enough to constitute a vegetable exchange -- probably 1/4 - 1/2 vegetable exchange -- but there would be some veggie in there. Would there be other exchanges in there? YES!

is it okay to eat? DEFINITELY

It's still not a vegetable though.

I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

http://recoverysabotage.tumblr.com/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:07 pm 

I agree with Kat. I think that there are elements in pizza that could constitute a veggie exchange, but the only reason the pizza itself is being labeled a veggie is for the school systems. It's sad...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:19 pm 

FadingHippie wrote:

is it okay to eat? DEFINITELY

It's still not a vegetable though.

100% agreed

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:06 pm 
admin goddess from hell

You're right; I was letting my own experience of meat pizzas be generalised to everyone else. Sorry. I agree (sometimes I have to be reminded) that there are no "bad" foods, and that everything has a place somewhere. I also agree that pizza ain't a vegetable, though.

~~ John Lennon

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:14 pm 

:D
Oh it CAN'T be a vegetable...seriously it'd be like saying a ham and pineapple pizza is a fruit cos it's got pineapple on it!
but it definitely has a place in diets...as a yummy treat food

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:09 am 
exploring my potential!

FadingHippie wrote:

I just need to ask, how is that "pizza" actually considered a pizza? I looked at that pizza and struggled to identify it. I asked my brother to look at the image too. He didn't know what it was, and couldn't identify it as pizza at all; a friend of mine thought it was an image of lasagne. I don't know about you guys, but I don't eat foods I can't identify and I've always been that way. When I was a child, if I were presented with that for lunch, I wouldn't eat much if any of it because I wouldn't have been able to identify anything except the milk, fruit and corn as actual food.

In Australia, we don't have these types of programs. Kids bring lunches from home, or sometimes buy lunch from the cafeteria. For children that come from disadvantaged families, the parents are referred to welfare agencies to help them manage their money better and effectively feed their families. If a child actually comes to school without lunch, the teacher will buy lunch for them out of the school office's petty cash allotment.

If these school lunches are a main source of nutrition for some kids, then I feel very worried for the health of these kids. Eating habits are established in early childhood and feeding kids that kind of unidentifiable processed crap as "food" just because it's cheap is pretty terrible.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:22 am 
orange scribe

in the states rectangular public school pizza is WELL known

proof of such: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Public-S ... 7911446198

info on the national school lunch program:
http://www.fns.usda.gov/cnd/lunch/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:30 am 
post-mod squad

I thought the pizza was lasagna, HAH HAH.

It will always be there, sitting between you and the incredible life that is waiting on the other side. So I guess it's up to you when you want to deal with it, how many years you think is enough of a sacrifice, how much life you are willing to lose.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:35 am 
orange scribe

That's what they're trying to pass off as a veggie.. because it doesn't cost a lot. Having to change the school menu would be expensive for the government (due to the free lunches and reduced lunches) - and public schools' lunch programs are under scrutiny in the united states at the moment due to, as I said earlier, that whole childhood obesity campaign partially headed by Michelle Obama.

the move is a political one

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Moderator: post-mods Go to page 1, 2  Next