Last visit was: It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Maltesers advert
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:30 pm 
getting under the peel

May be triggering for some. Contains numbers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBbagBlbwCw

When I saw this, it just reminded me of counting calories in such a specific way. Trigger Adding up 0.1cals for glass of diet coke, for instance. /trigger

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Maltesers advert
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:39 pm 
orange wonder

I don't get what having sweets has to do with being naughty?
I know people usually say this laughingly but I the whole association between food and "sinning" doesn't make sense to me...

Though I really like Maltesers, especially the salty touch on the inside :smile:

Conscience has no jury
Like eyes to details turned
Nor has shame a stage
Life perfectionism scorned

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:38 pm 
orange you glad?

I love making them float x3 And I'd love my boyfriend to get sleepy enough for me to put him in funny positions.

But yeah, it is a stupid ad (and oh my god, how silly was that habit? What muppets we were xD)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:40 pm 
power lies within

Yeah, that is quite a specific number. That commercial made me laugh, though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:47 pm 
galactic orange

I laughed at the add.. I guess I am in the kind of head space where numbers aren't everything to me and i enjoyed the antics.
Yet, I also giggled at your old trigger warning.
We are ridiculous.
Adding things up like that.
Ever calculate the number of times you chew next to the piece of gum you tallied? didn't think so..
I don't think advertisers should have to remove all mention of calories incase it offends a small group of people, especially when presented in such a humorous matter. That add isn't doing any harm. It isn't suggesting to a new generation that they ought to count every calorie, it just runs with an old message that having treats is naughty (which many people are raised to believe, we are just educated otherwise) and that this product is less 'naughty, aka calorific, fatty whatever'. than others.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:35 pm 
exploring my potential!

Lol, actually thought it was funny.
but I do get why it would trigger people. I actually still think in terms of calories, so its less triggering and more just, Oh yeah thats me.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:41 pm 
orange wonder

Well, I actually don't think it's outrageous or even unfunny and I agree Rosie that we can't expect to never be exposed to stuff we're sensitive too.
Doesn't mean I can't be slightly pissed by it.
But I think the perpetual calorie talk and linking food to morals kind of stupid and each time I encounter it, I go "not again :roll:" which sort of cancels out the amusemant.

Conscience has no jury
Like eyes to details turned
Nor has shame a stage
Life perfectionism scorned

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:02 pm 
exploring my potential!

I agree with the linking food to morals, it is such a stupid connection that we seem to make all the time. "I was bad" when eating something thought of as an indulgence, why say you were bad? It doesn't make you a good person to only eat healthy things, nor does it make you a "bad" person to eat something a little indulgent.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:27 pm 
getting under the peel

I really think that advertising that it's 11 calories per malteser is ridiculous, though. What are we supposed to take from it? What are they trying to make us think? That we should we eat maltesers one by one, all the while adding up the 11 calories for each one? Really, one malteser will not make you gain weight, it's such an insignificant amount of calories that it's not even worth counting (unless you're anorexic I guess, lol). What they want to persuade us of, is that that number IS worth counting, and so maltesers are so great because each one falls into that "safe" little number.

Advertisers usually play on the 100 calorie mark, I find. On packets of chocolate or crisps, it'll often have that fact highlighted, if the product in question has that many calories. I wouldn't be surprised if manufacturers alter the number of grams in a packet, just so it falls underneath the 100 calorie mark. Those neat little round numbers that end in zeros - they appeal to even people without EDs, I guess. I maintain that they shouldn't.

It also links in with that yoghurt advert - yoplight? There is a thread about it in this subforum also. Seeing food purely as numbers. They might as well change the name of maltesers to 10 calorie chocolate balls if they're going to advertise them like that.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:31 pm 
admin goddess from hell

I didn't watch the maltesers thing, as I don't really like them anyway, but research on the impact of those 100 calorie snacks sold everywhere (cookies, chips, doritoes, chocolate bars, et cetera) has consistently shown that people end up eating more because of "it's only 100 calories, so I can have another one" mentality than they would have if they had bought the full-sized bag of chips or chocolate bar. And they certainly do appeal to people without eating disorders.

Anyway, most of those 100 calorie things are gross, too, IMO.

~~ John Lennon

Offline Profile