Last visit was: It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:55 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: buying 2 seats to fly
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:27 pm 
admin goddess from hell

We are buying a service, and that service should accommodate us, not the airline. Why don't they modify a row of seats to accommodate larger people? Isn't it all about service? I said it before and I'll say it again: if they have to pay more because they are larger, I want a discount because I'm smaller. If someone is suffering from a medical or psychiatric condition that results in obesity, then why should they not receive the same consideration as someone travelling with a wheelchair? I may be flying economy, but I expect that I and everyone on that flight, will be treated with respect and dignity. I'm not asking the airlines to overhaul all the planes, but rather to make minor modifications to existing ones.

This issue is not about passengers' weights, it's about airlines trying to milk as much as they can from customers. As I said earlier, Canadian airlines are required to sell two seats for the price of one if it would otherwise be a case of discrimination, which is determined on a case by case basis. Ummmm, so far, it hasn't affected the airlines' bottom lines or profit margins.

~~ John Lennon

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:33 pm 
orange scribe

and as I said earlier, I don't know what the solution is either. I brought up larger seats in my first post... as I did bumping larger people (that need lap belt extenders) up to first class. However, all of these pose issues. People would complain or the airlines wouldn't do it due to monetary loss...

I don't know if the solution proposed (ie charging more) is the correct solution... but I do know that there IS a problem as of current... and I do NOT think that means I'm discriminating against larger people, sizeist, or anything of that sort.

oh and Sally, you could try what someone else said they did... get that money back for being smaller by demanding not to pay for a bag due to your lighter personal weight ;)

I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

http://recoverysabotage.tumblr.com/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:43 pm 
orange wonder

I realized that I have a very strong emotional reaction to this topic, because even if I never was at a weight that made this necessary, I have this habit of identifying with overweight and obese people and get angry at anything that smacks of discrimination or blaming or looking down on them.
I know that doesn't change the facts about how much space a person takes up or not - that problem is objectively there. And yes, there's two sides to it: The obese person and the person
next to him or her whose personal space is infringed upon.
Perhaps if there wasn't such a big stigma on fat and contempt for overweight people, I could look at it with more of a "business is business"-attitude. Perhaps then, it wouldn't feel like a punishment or discrimination, but a practical issue. But it does.

I think Sally summed it up:

Spender wrote:
If someone is suffering from a medical or psychiatric condition that results in obesity, then why should they not receive the same consideration as someone travelling with a wheelchair?

Conscience has no jury
Like eyes to details turned
Nor has shame a stage
Life perfectionism scorned

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:17 pm 
orange scribe

I feel like a broken record.

I don't think everyone in this thread agrees upon paying for the two seats - I never said I did - however, I do think most of us think that a change needs to take place because as of this moment one group is being put before another. but for whatever reason that's okay.

when it's not.

yes, in a perfect world airlines would be more highly educated about eating disorders such as BED and COE AND care... but it comes down to that bottom line.

such as some stores make you pay more for plus size (especially the bridal industry). businesses account small, medium, large, and sometimes an additional on each end.... it sucks when you fall outside that. but it's life. you have to pay more if you fall outside that spectrum.

it happens for the smaller end too... at Anthro I've been sized out of a dress before... so I had to pay more to have it taken in.

Airlines are no exception unless something obvious smacks them in the face they accomodate predominately the basic population....

and back to the point (moreso) I don't think wanting some change to take place is wrong or sizeist.
at all.

why is reverse sizeism so much better? that is what keeping it how it is demonstrates.

I know this is probably incredibly scattered because I an having issues staying on track thought process wise... but I think my points are there.

I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

http://recoverysabotage.tumblr.com/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:40 pm 
power lies within

to be honest this is to me a no-brainer. it's a disability. the airlines are going to have to suck up the fact that they have to accommodate passengers with different needs.
if a person is so overweight that they cannot put the arm-rest down, then the seat next to them should not be occupied. airline's loss.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:40 pm 
orange is a state of mind

^ I couldn't agree more.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Moderator: post-mods Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3