Last visit was: It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:21 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: buying 2 seats to fly
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:27 pm 
orange goddess

So Airtran is trying to charge people who are obese or can't fit their seat belts for an extra seat when flying. I read it on Foxnews. I just think this is humiliating and discriminatory. The seats on these planes are uncomfortable for people who aren't obese.. It just bothers me a lot wanted to find out what other people thought.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: buying 2 seats to fly
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:51 pm 
galactic orange

Hate me if you want, but i kind of think it is valid..
If you take up the adjacent seat to your own and make it so someone else can't sit there, then surely the airline has the right to charge you to make up for the loss..

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:57 pm 
orange is a state of mind

I think its discriminatory.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:01 pm 
orange you glad?

I agree with rosie. Airlines are selling you a space on their plane. If you don't fit in that space, then you must buy more space. It's not a case of discrimination. Would it be humiliating? Yes. But the airline isn't doing anything wrong in my opinion.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately-to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:05 pm 
orange scribe

This has been brought up on here before and I will stick with my (what was at the time unpopular) view.

I have flown.. a lot. In the past three years I'd say I've been on at least thirty flights. That's actually probably a low-ball estimate even.

I can say that several of those flights I have been seated next to a larger person... (including some who needed a lap belt.) My own personal space was violated for the duration of the entire flight as the armrest had to be kept upright the whole time for them and they literally occupied at least a third of my seat. I paid for an entire seat. Not 2/3 of one that made me become smooshed against the window (and I was still touching them).

Would being asked to buy two tickets be embarrassing? Yes, but by not doing something then it's saying the comfort of larger passengers is more important than another passenger's. Do I have a solution for this? No. Except maybe suggesting this be known upfront to avoid embarrassment at the terminal… and that it could be suggested that they buy first class tickets as the seats are larger up there... (in the event of something like the story says…. Maybe bumping them up to first class for free – though I’m sure that would irritate some people) or making airplane seats larger in general (though that would cost them a fortune)… I don’t have a solution, but I can say that I’m not entirely against this, because I have been on the other end numerous times and it's not very comfortable.

on another side of it profit-wise, one could also argue that they are costing the airline a greater amount of fuel. That's the reasoning for having to pay for bags that weigh more (or for having extra bags -- or even on some airlines merely having a checked bag)

I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

http://recoverysabotage.tumblr.com/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:10 pm 
galactic orange

kitkat, i'm glad someone else agrees.

I mean, is it discrimination that tall people have to pay more to request seats with extra leg room?
Yes it would be humiliating to be told that you needed to purchase a seat for two on a flight..
but logistically the airlines have the right to do it.

:topic: obesity is still a health issue, no matter how much we want to ignore it..
However, this tax isn't an attack on over eaters or people with eating disorders. It's just a way for airlines to ensure they keep making a profit.

EDIT:
or running with the above point that you shouldn't have to fit into the remainder of the seat next to someone if they do fill it anyway..

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:54 pm 
admin goddess from hell

Airplane seat sizes have not increased in size in several decades, despite significant changes in size, height and weight in western populations. So, basically, most planes are built with no regard for passenger comfort, other than in first class. Should I have to squeeze myself in beside someone who cannot fit in one seat? No. But if the airline is going to charge someone for two seats because they cost more, then I'd like a discount when I buy a ticket because I weigh less and my body is smaller than the average person.

In Canada, there are conditions, which if met, require airlines to provide two seats to a person with no extra charge. Works for me.

~~ John Lennon

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:41 pm 
orange scribe

this is an interesting one. i havent thought about it long enough to form a solid opinion but am enjoying reading the variety of opinion here.

i dont fly an awful lot but i know when i went to Europe last year i was hideously uncomfortable in my seat even though i am small to average size and height. i was uncomfortable however because i get achey and have chronic back and neck pain so i doubt it would have mattered who was next to me... if i cant stretch out, i get sore. i would only be comfy if i could afford first class or business class. my husband is tall and struggles with the limited leg room in economy class and would have to pay extra to get more room... i see that as the same thing as a bigger person paying extra for more room. i agree it would be humiliating for a large person but i also agree with Sally that there is a big issue here with the seating itself having become far too small for the growth of the general population. in fact im sure that there is less room in general per person on flights these days

Recovery Boat
My Photos

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:53 pm 
power lies within

Okay, apparently plane seats are 19 inches wide. So if I pay $230 for a plane ticket, I've paid $12.11 for each inch of width my seat offers. And if the ass of the person beside me is taking up 4 inches of my seat, I've paid almost $50 for them to invade my space.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:59 pm 
orange scribe

exactly delenda! By not doing this it is saying that the larger person's comfort is more important than the person whose space they impede otherwise. Isn't that discriminatory?

"Until recently, seat designers have relied on a 1950 Harvard study of train passengers that said that the average adult requires eighteen inches per seat. "

Also, according to wisegeek, most airplane seats are made to be what is considered most comfy for someone with 36" hips. Which is small (36" hips I mean)

midwest seats are apparently 21"

first class seats are usually wider and have over double the pitch (space between you and the seat in front of you)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:25 pm 
power lies within

I don't know whether or not overweight people should have to pay for second seat themselves, but they should definitely be required to book two seats.

I am also inclined to compare this to say, a roller coaster. Is it discriminatory that obese and/or short persons can't ride a roller coaster safely? Do theme parks discriminate against midgets? How humiliating is it for a little person to have to ride the Kiddie Coaster?

I realize I'm probably taking this a little bit too far.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:26 pm 
orange scribe

I know, I don't know what the solution is... I just see where they are coming from. I would imagine there have been complaints - I've been tempted on more than one occasion (when seated next to a lap belt user) to complain.

I've also, thankfully, been moved before (when the flight was not full) when the stewardess noticed my discomfort

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:34 pm 
orange goddess

there are instances where seat belt extensions are available to passengers to help solve some of the problem but vthey only have 2 per flight.. also they coudl redesign some of the airplanes. I like the comment about the inches of how wide a seat is.. although it would be wise to redesign because half of America would be buying 2 seats with the # of obese people.. I guess if people dont' want to fly maybe they should consider greyhound or train

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:48 pm 
orange scribe

see I think lap belts (seat belt extensions) cause some of the problem... that's when I've been the most uncomfy - when sitting next to someone with one.

Did you know though that you cannot sit in an emergency exit row seat if you need a lap belt extension? I had someone sitting next to me who needed one and had to be moved because you can't occupy a seat in that row if you need one - for safety reasons

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:38 pm 
orange you prolific

Spender wrote:
But if the airline is going to charge someone for two seats because they cost more, then I'd like a discount when I buy a ticket because I weigh less and my body is smaller than the average person.

hahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

*nicki

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ]  Moderator: post-mods Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next