Last visit was: It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: "Diet book for girls as young as six provokes outrage.."
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:24 am 
orange you glad?

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 40257.html

Seriously? Are people really this naive to make something like this?

I found a book not long ago, probably written in the 90's, about a young mouse who's parents go away for a week so he has to eat at other people's houses, and sees how they all eat. It covers all different types of diet, then concludes with his parents coming home and him learning from it all how to eat properly. How it's gone from that to this new diet book is absurd.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: "Diet book for girls as young as six provokes outrage.."
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:29 am 
orange wonder

I was thinking about writing down a detailed argument or a rant about fat-hysteria and our skewed priorities, but I'd settle for slapping the author and the publishers instead. :soapbox:
Is this naivety? Surely there's a big market dealing with people's insecurities and all those diet and weight-loss promises.

Conscience has no jury
Like eyes to details turned
Nor has shame a stage
Life perfectionism scorned

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:48 am 
orange you glad?

I mean to make such a book when papers are producing more and more shock stories of young children developing eating disorders. It's aimed at 6-12 year olds. Are they mad?! At that age, all I was worried about was doing homework and being able to have friends stay over, not whether I should diet. Any self-esteem issues I faced were about how I did my hair, what make up I should try, not weight. I'm not saying no child has issues with their weight, but as someone said in the comments bit, a book like this should be directed at parents.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:17 pm 
kismetjeska

*stares at screen blankly*

*has minor mental breakdown*

*wonders about possibility of raising her children in a tree house in a forest somewhere*

I suppose the good thing here is that it is provoking an outrage. Yes, it got written, but the population as a general still think it's wrong.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:19 pm 
kismetjeska

Oh, but as always with anything of this nature, avoid the comments section.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:00 pm 
power lies within

WHOAH!

not cool, at all... :soapbox:

A recovery focused peer support eating disorder forum

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:40 pm 
orange wonder

The book in and of itself doesn't bother me, although I do agree that targeting such a book DIRECTLY at children isn't very wise. I can think of plenty of kids I knew who were asking if they looked fat at an ungodly age. Let's not make it worse.

It's the comments that disturbed me. I'm still in denial that people are REALLY that stupid.

Then again, unless you've lived it, you will never understand what it's like. :-(

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:46 pm 
orange wonder

Well, even a book for parents should be focusing on healthy nutrition and yeah, health includes mental health and happiness as well... Weight is not such a great indicator for that.

But this book...just look at the cover. It's all about the shape you see in the mirror.
Weigh loss as a side effect of changing your habits - okay. But it's not a goal per se. (At least not as long you're not obese.)
And even if someone's weight is healty - wtf? Why on earth should this be tied to self-esteem or the respect and affection others show them?
That message seems wrong, regardless of the target group.
I've known a girl about 11 whose always been pressured by her parents about being fat and always picked on her when she wanted an hamburger or so. They didn't succeed in making her lose weight, but you bet they made her feel miserable about not losing...

Conscience has no jury
Like eyes to details turned
Nor has shame a stage
Life perfectionism scorned

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:01 pm 
orange scribe

the discussion on Amazon.com is all negative. Thank you Eating Disorder Activist Network.

I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

http://recoverysabotage.tumblr.com/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:00 pm 
orange wonder

I've sent an email to the publisher asking him to withold this book. My complaint is not the first one, I can see as many more have done this, but maybe with enough voices, we can be heard.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:04 am 
orange goddess

faustinchen wrote:
Weigh loss as a side effect of changing your habits - okay. But it's not a goal per se. (At least not as long you're not obese.)
And even if someone's weight is healty - wtf? Why on earth should this be tied to self-esteem or the respect and affection others show them?
That message seems wrong, regardless of the target group.

Yes yes yes. This book is all wrong, dammit! *considers joining Jess in the forest*

Hey, we should start a commune!
... :topic:

say 'I am just a speck of dust inside a giant's eye'."
Frances :heart:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:21 pm 
orange you prolific

That is nuts....

Kelly

My cats think I'm perfect just the way I am!

Your feelings will not kill you, engaging in disordered behaviors could.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:42 pm 
i love orange

I saw this on Tumblr a few days ago AND more that a thousand notes screaming curses at it.
I also saw an edit (it's buried on my page by now) of it called: Maggie gains back the weight she lost & learns to love her body. Yeah, there are good people out there. :D

But I have mentioned that this is sickening right?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:46 pm 
orange you prolific

Sickening is putting it politely, I was absaloutly bloody outraged. How are young girls supposed to accept and treat themselves with respect if they're being raised with things like this? I honestly DON'T understand why it has to be one extreme or the other. Why can't parents just raise their children with a healthy, balanced lifestyle? Why can't people just like things, know what's good for them in both body and soul and that be that? Why is everyone so effing concerned with what is technically just a number? :-(

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:28 pm 
orange is a state of mind

sigh...
Sadly, it is a book my old boss would have gotten for her daughter. She was 7 when I was looking after her and was, from what I could see, already on a diet. I'd rebel against it and cook her substantial (but still nutritious) afternoon teas.

*about to sound old* Back when I was in that age bracket, we had healthy harold come to the school and teach us about how food is important and what the different food groups did - everything from grains and cereals to sugars and fats. Then, with the rise in obesity here in Australia they introduced the traffic light system - green = eat most of, yellow = eat some of the time, and red = eat occasionally, special treats.

I think if they are going to use books to target childhood obesity, it should be about trying and tasting different foods. Enjoying food and stopping when your tummy says enough. Reinforcing that chocolates, soft-drinks, lollies etc are for special times not everyday. Growing up, we had lollies and chips at birthday parties and never in our lunch boxes (we had home made muesli bars, piece of fruit, some sultanas, peanut butter and jam sandwich (salad as we got older), a yoghurt and a water bottle).

"Maggie likes chocolate and other sweet foods. But, Mummy/Daddy say they are for special times so she only eats them at parties and other special parties. Mummy/Daddy say that fruits taste sweet like lollies and give Maggie's body energy to play and have fun. Maggie likes to have two pieces of yummy fruit everyday. Her favourites are banana and rockmelon. Maggie likes to try different fruits as well."

^ That would be more appropriate...it's the line I'd use with Miah. Talk about dairy being good for keeping Maggie's bones strong, different veggies to help her body grow big and strong. Meat/protein to give her strong muscles to play on the monkey bars and jump really high.

In any case, that's how I'm explaining nutrition to my kids...
I think the premise of the book is good but the delivery is really bad.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Moderator: post-mods Go to page 1, 2  Next