Last visit was: It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:10 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Re: Have you ever wondered what your body really looks like?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:41 pm 
power lies within

I had actually ran across this website a while ago and wrote in a complaint. One of my issues was that most of the pictures were of teenagers, the fact that age had not been taken into account at all either. I too had mixed feelings about the site in general as well.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:20 am 
orange is a state of mind

Meh, so I just had a quick peek on it
and I fared a lot better than I feared. I saw the pictures for my weight and height, and immediately thought, 'I don't look anything like that'- in a good way
maybe the fact that a fair bit of my weight is made up of chest, and leg muscles is slowly sinking lol

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:29 pm 
i bite back hardcore

I googled it too but wasnt really triggered by it. I think I did the reverse of what people are worried about in that I searched my weight now and the girls didnt look that healthy then my target weight (as in recovery target) and the women look much happier and more 'normal'. It does help shift the ED persepective because although people carry their weight differently I know that I can't logically look like my ED would have me belive

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:33 pm 
stranger in an orange land

FadingHippie wrote:
delenda wrote:
:topic: There used to a body-image reality show, and one segment would have the woman select where she should be in a row of women (who had the same body type) from largest to smallest. Then they'd show the woman where she should actually be standing. It had another segment where the woman would see and touch her least favorite body part on another woman of the exact same proportions (which sounds way more sexual or bizarre than it was).

I find that fascinating.

Oh my gosh, I remember that show!! I can't remember what it's called, but it was crazy! And they wonder why some people have "body image" issues. Sheesh. :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:49 pm 
power lies within

How to look good naked.

I thought it was actually a really positive, albeit bizarre, show.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:40 am 
orange is a state of mind

Gok Wan's how to look good naked? Or is this a different one with the same title.

I love Gok's show

I don't need you to respect me, I respect me,
I don't need you to love me, I love me
But I want you to know, you could know me
If you change your mind

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:59 pm 
orange goddess

I'm tempted to google this but i know just reading the initial post i was a little triggered. I'm thankful you did not post the site.. I think we are already preoccupied with how we look that we dont' need to be browsing the web to find more ways to feed into are opinions of ourself or mindful thoughts.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:18 am 
exploring my potential!

Interesting, i find that I actually like the way women of a similar ht and wt look, but I don't (of course!) like me at the same weight. Interesting...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:52 pm 
feeling out the orange

I think the site creators have a really positive mission, and when you read the pages they have up about what the site is/isn't about their hearts are in the right place. It was definitely triggery for me, but not horribly so, and I think for non-eating-disordered women it has the potential to be quite empowering. For anyone who's not triggered by it, really.

I enjoyed reading people's stories more than anything, especially the stories of people who looked up their stats on the site and felt beautiful as a result. If it's helping people feel good about themselves, that's great.

I agree about it being mostly teenagers and that that's not so hot.

It definitely has the potential to go in a negative direction as well, even though the intention is good. I worry about folks who are really in the depths of their ED finding it and purposely triggering themselves with the photos, not that they can't find plenty of other pictures for that purpose. And of course, there are plenty of people who are trying to recover who may end up being triggered even though they go there trying to be inspired.

Personally, I was pretty accurate with how I view myself, as far as the photos being of people who were about the size I expected, but I did have the realization that I thought those people had beautiful bodies, yet I hate mine. And that impacted me. So now it has really been driven home that that's something I have to work on.

All in all, I'm glad there are people out there making efforts to empower women to love themselves, and trying to give them tools and information to help make that a reality. . .so even though the site has its flaws and has the potential to cause some harm, I support its existence.

Maybe the home page of the site could say something about the mission or have a graphic rather than hitting you right off the bat with somebody's photo and stats. There's no way to bail out if you get to the site, think you'll be triggered and want to leave.

I also think maybe they should have a page of body-image and ED resources.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:51 am 
orange goddess

There's another site like that I visit. What I find interesting is that I often go "Wow, she's hot" or think "I would love to date her" with women who had a similar body to mine, yet I think I am completely repulsive.

I can see how they can be majorly triggering for a lot of people.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:32 am 
orange wonder

When I tried it out, I was hoping to find a similar relief, but to be honest, part of it repulsed me and made me feel worse. It was like I'd been given proof that I'm objectively looking the way I've always been afraid to look.
May be it's the selection of the pictures but I often find that being confronted with my actual looks, isn't in any way correcting for a "fat" bias but reinforcing it...
And as there was no way of knowing beforehand what kind of picture is going to show, I think this is a trigger roulette, well-intentioned as it might be.

Conscience has no jury
Like eyes to details turned
Nor has shame a stage
Life perfectionism scorned

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:52 pm 
getting under the peel

I use the website, and have submitted multiple pictures. It has provided me with some perspective, as a plus-size, former eating disorder patient.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Moderator: post-mods Go to page Previous  1, 2