Last visit was: It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:41 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Beat e-mail
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:14 pm 
Demi Mod

I am a member of the beat website ( http://www.b-eat.co.uk/Home ) which means I get emails from them from time to time. I was kind of shocked when I got this today:

Hello YPF members - following is a request from a production company preparing a feature for Sky Living TV. If you're interested in this please contact Amy directly.
Kind regards
Mary George

I am a casting producer and am looking for mothers and daughters for a
documentary for Sky Living. I work for zkk (zkktv.com) who make some award
winning and innovative factual programming for a variety of broadcasters.
We are looking for the daughters to be under 18 year olds. Your mother can be any age. We are interested in hearing from both perspectives. The subject is on weight loss. We are interested in mothers and daughters who are both body conscious and even though they've lost weight, or are under weight, they are still watching their weight. Or, if your mother is not under weight, or losing weight, then is certainly encouraging you to watch your weight. Are you both gym fanatics? Or doing it through dieting?

Sky Living audience is 25 years and younger and the series is one of a 5 part on mothers and daughters, the others looking at such subjects as a disco dancing competition and toddler beauty pageants.The film will not be judgemental in any way, just an observational documentary.
I am just gathering stories in the next few days, so it would be good to speak to you as soon as possible. If we talk there is no obligation to be on the programme. Im just interested in hearing from number of people.

I look forward to hearing from you soon. Thank you for taking the time to read this email.

Yours
(I'm going to edit out the name)

I thought it was really inappropriate. Baring in mind this was sent to young people with eating disorders. "Gym fanatics"? "Watching their weight"? Really? EDs are juuust a bit more serious than that surely?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Beat e-mail
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:26 pm 
orange you glad?

It is insensitive, but tv producers/casters don't know better. As with a lot of traumatic experiences, you can't quite understand it until you're involved with it =/ I'm just shocked it was actually passed on to people. I hope somebody complains about it being written so bluntly, or passed on at all.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:36 am 
Demi Mod

Yeah, I can understand the TV producers thinking it might be a good idea, but not beat. Weird.
I complained anyway, hehe. :soapbox:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:55 am 
orange you glad?

I got this email too, did you also get the follow-up email apologising for it?

"Real strength never impairs beauty or harmony, but it often bestows it; and in everything imposingly beautiful, strength has much to do with the magic." - Herman Melville, Moby Dick

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:21 am 
Demi Mod

Yeah, I did. I think it was good that they sent it out to everyone.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:47 am 
kismetjeska

Do you mind me asking what the apology was like? Did they say that they realised it was innapropriate or that they hadn't thought or...?

xx

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:07 pm 
orange you glad?

SeetherChick wrote:
Do you mind me asking what the apology was like? Did they say that they realised it was innapropriate or that they hadn't thought or...?

xx

"Dear YPF members
The email recently sent to YPF members from Sky Living TV has, understandably, upset many of you.
On reflection and re-reading the request that was circulated, the wording was not as it should have been. The researcher concerned has reaffirmed our initial interpretation of the subject as being around eating disorders in the family, not a dieting scenario between mother and daughter.
We have spoken to the researcher and she assures us it was not her intention to be offensive. Please be assured Beat takes it responsibility very serious and would never wish to trivialise eating disorders.
We are very sorry an inappropriate email was circulated this time.
If anyone would like to talk to us about this email, please don't hesitate to contact me.
Kind regards
Mary"

"Real strength never impairs beauty or harmony, but it often bestows it; and in everything imposingly beautiful, strength has much to do with the magic." - Herman Melville, Moby Dick

Offline Profile