Last visit was: It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: mainstream article to control hunger... stupid
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:04 am 
exploring my potential!

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/h ... w-2497412/

"How to curb food cravings: 6 things you can do right now"
how fucking terrible!
this article is about what to do when you feel hungry. so if you are easily triggered to restrict, dont watch/read it. yahoo has such stupid aricles really!

those things just scare me. its an unhealthy apporoach to food and even if people are obese his is not the right mindset to tackle the problem, in my opinion. and the girl is a skinny woman and not an unhealthyly overweight kid.. so again, people who get the pressure are women ... stupid shit !

pursuing it with weary feet/ until it joins some larger way/ where many paths and errors meet/ and wither then?/ i cannot say.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: mainstream article to control hunger... stupid
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:01 am 
kismetjeska

I don't know. Half of these seem logical enough- eat a small amount of what you're craving, eat small amounts regularly but a few...

Distract yourself? Chew gum instead?

Step 4: Create a mantra. If a plate of cookies is beckoning, tell it who’s boss. State your intention: “I will not eat this plate of cookies.”

Feck, am I reading a list of pro ana tips by accident?

Also, from comment section- what I reeeeally hope is a troll:

Quote:
when I crave something I hit my finger hard with a hammer and the pain is so bad that I forget about my cravings, just don't hit it hard enough to break a bone however cutting the skin enough to cause bleeding is ok

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:29 am 
orange wonder

minzoel wrote:
this article is about what to do when you feel hungry.

Let me guess: "Eat something" is not on the list?

Conscience has no jury
Like eyes to details turned
Nor has shame a stage
Life perfectionism scorned

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:36 am 
orange wonder

Oh, wait, it actually is on the list...
Part of it doesn't seem too stupid to me, being someone who has at least occasional problems with overeating and for whom certain food cravings and real hunger are two different things.

Conscience has no jury
Nor has shame a stage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:20 am 
exploring my potential!

yeah but did you see the the video?
i think it is absolutely inapropriate because its a skinny woman and its as if she does all this to maintain her weight and avoid food and that is unhealthy. i mean... its comating the symptoms only. if you have issues with overeating (which i have too) and they come from an inner problem then all these tips wont do anyway.. or you if they do another coping mechanism will jump in its place.. like for example anorexia.. i used to do most of these things and they sound to me quite pro-ana too. but you know in the middle of a binge mindset there is no mantra that can stop you. its to FEEL inside and if you crave something for gods sake have it. and if it is an emotional reaction there are different approaches than this. .. i dont like the way it is presented anyway..

pursuing it with weary feet/ until it joins some larger way/ where many paths and errors meet/ and wither then?/ i cannot say.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:04 am 
orange wonder

I haven't seen the video yet, but if that's the impression that's created then I agree with you.
What bothers me is that this is just one example of the general "skinny good! curves bad!" -attitude that we come across everywhere and which seems to accepted all to often... Perhaps that's why an article like this doesn't get to me so much any more.
I still think that the tips about allowing yourself a bit of your treats and spreading out your meals over the day still don't sound dangerous or pro-Ana to me... Especially the first one since I the totally restrictive (and not this permissive) mindset would be closer to an Anorexic thinks. Also, I too think that a total prohibition can lead to binging on that food. The appeal of the forbidden...

Conscience has no jury
Nor has shame a stage

Last edited by faustinchen on Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:44 am 
Alright maybe I'm more eating disordered than I thought but these all seem like really sensible healthy tips to me.... :eh:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:48 am 
i bite back hardcore

I suppose if its a craving and you are actually not hungry then some of them can be seen as quite sensible. But if they are just about avoiding food regardless of whether your body is hungry then they are basically pro-ana tips.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:02 am 
starfish88 wrote:
I suppose if its a craving and you are actually not hungry then some of them can be seen as quite sensible. But if they are just about avoiding food regardless of whether your body is hungry then they are basically pro-ana tips.

It seemed to be talking about cravings to me...

I agree the woman in the video is very slim but she's just an actress I think and I don't think they were suggesting she needs to lose weight.. they weren't even talking about weightloss just avoiding cravings.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:11 am 
exploring my potential!

well yes, on the one hand its about cravings .. my point is that a craving can also be or is most often a feeling that you need something. whether its about the food or projected on food. what i find unhealthy is that they dissociate this feeling and just give you tips how to mute them. and i think this can be the beginning of an eating disorder.
i think it is suggestive in a way that it tells you that you should think twice about giving in to your craving. but yes, maybe i also overreacted a little. as ive said, for people who have health problems or those "normal" people who "just want to lose a few" it might be helpful to reflect their spontaeous food desires. but i dont like the whole idea because obviously people in our society are giving waaayy too much thought on their figure and im sure that this article was written so sound like a way to spare some calories in order not to gain weight or even to lose weight.. even if its not mentioned there explicitly.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:17 am 
orange wonder

Maybe that article isn't so bad if you take it only for itself.
But I'd really like to see the day when eating and fulfilling your needs or wishes is encouraged!
The general unquestioned attitude that cutting down food is always good and desirable pisses me off.

Conscience has no jury
Nor has shame a stage

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:25 pm 
orange you prolific

Best way to "defeat" cravings? Don't make anything off limits.

Kelly

My cats think I'm perfect just the way I am!

Your feelings will not kill you, engaging in disordered behaviors could.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Offline Profile