Last visit was: It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:01 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Yoplait pulls ad
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:23 am 
galactic orange

I can honestly say that the concerns with this ad were exactly what I thought the first time I saw it, so I glad that the company has agreed to pull it...thoughts?

(PS there is a Youtube clip of the commercial in the article)

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/d ... o-2497971/

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Yoplait pulls ad
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:12 am 
power lies within

I want to hug Jenni Schaefer.

Thanks for posting this!!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:57 pm 
orange you glad?

Brilliant. I totally agree on the point about the fight against obesity scaring children. It's shocking to think "Someone could use ED thoughts to sell something." I'm glad it was unintentional and they took it down, though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 5:11 pm 
orange wonder

Electric Leech wrote:
Brilliant. I totally agree on the point about the fight against obesity scaring children. It's shocking to think "Someone could use ED thoughts to sell something." I'm glad it was unintentional and they took it down, though.

True dat. Do you want eight year olds coming home and bitching about being "fat"? I WAS one of those kids and I sure as hell don't need to see it. Now, I'm not insinuating that obesity isn't a problem. Because it is. And the reason for both that as well as EDs is because our society is so fucked up about our attitude towards food.

Glad to see that the commercial got pulled. I honestly didn't find it triggering at all (I've seen WAY worse...) but the picture at the top of the article was mildly triggering. Still, I can DEFINITELY understand why someone with a heavy ED mindset would find it triggering.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: NEDA complains, Yoplait pulls ad
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:11 pm 
getting under the peel

Quote:
Does this commercial encourage eating disorders? (Video)
Can an advertisement trigger an eating disorder? Reacting to concerns that it just may, General Mills has pulled a suddenly controversial Yoplait commercial off the air following complaints from the National Eating Disorders Association.

The commercial starts off with a thin woman standing in front of an open refrigerator, agonizing over a luscious-looking raspberry cheesecake.

"What if I just had a small slice? I was good today, I deserve it," she says. Maybe a bigger slice would be okay if she eats celery later—"they would cancel each other out, right?" she thinks. Or if she eats the cake while jogging in place?

That's when an even-skinnier coworker walks up, purrs, "Mmmm, raspberry cheesecake. I've been thinking about this all day!"—and takes a Yoplait Light cheesecake-flavored yogurt from the fridge. "Oh, you've... lost weight," the first woman notices. The confident coworker smiles, thanks her, and walks away with her Yoplait. The first woman, looking ashamed and guilty, grabs a yogurt instead.

Is the message that this yogurt tastes as good as cheesecake? That you should make healthy food choices at work? Or that, even if you're thin, you're still not thin enough?

For people coping with anorexia and bulimia, a commercial showing a thin person anxiously doing mental gymnastics in order to justify eating dessert—and then denying herself the treat because she wants to be even thinner—could reinforce the idea that such deliberations are healthy and normal, says Jenni Schaefer, an author and public speaker who has struggled with both anorexia and bulimia.

Taking the commercial off the air "is simply the right thing to do," Tom Forsythe, vice president of corporate communications for General Mills, said on Thursday. "Any correlation was certainly unintentional. But if even a few people could take from the ad that mis-impression, then the right thing to do was to pull the ad—and we have." (Because of the way television advertising is sold, the commercial could continue to air in some markets for a short time.)

Lynn Grefe, president and CEO of the Seattle-based National Eating Disorders Association (NEDA), is quick to say that her organization's issue was with the ad campaign and not with the product itself. In a public statement, she thanked Yoplait and General Mills for addressing concerns so quickly. "I believe the company had no intent to harm and gained insight into a very serious issue that we hope will influence their marketing decisions in the future," she said. She encouraged people who are worried about disordered eating to call NEDA's help-line at 1-800-931-2237.

But when she and others first saw the commercial, what they saw wasn't a woman making a healthy food choice, but one who was caught up in a compensatory exchange about food, Grefe said. "This felt like a 20-second look at the mind of somebody with an eating disorder," she pointed out.

NEDA has already gotten some hate mail about their take on the ad, she said. "We're not encouraging Yoplait eaters to go eat cheesecake," Grefe clarified. "That's not our goal at all. The protest was because [the ad] really would tell somebody with an eating disorder that… society wants everybody to be thin."

"Eating disorders are characterized by denial," Schaefer, author of "Goodbye Ed, Hello Me: Recover from Your Eating Disorder and Fall in Love with Life," said in an interview. "There are a lot of people out there who are struggling but who don't know they're struggling." She began treatment for anorexia and bulimia when she was 22; now, at 35, she considers herself to be fully recovered.

In treatment programs, some people name their eating disorders—Ana (for anorexia), Mia (for bulimia) and Ed (for eating disorder) are all popular. "This commercial truly shows the voice of Ed in an accessible way," Schaefer said.

"It often starts with that voice in your head saying 'Eat this but not that'," she explained. "The commercial just reinforced that voice. It made that inner dialogue look normal, It let you think, 'I'm OK, I do the same thing.' But that's not normal. You don't have to open that refrigerator and hear that voice."

"It's a big spectrum from chronic dieting to any clinical eating disorder like anorexia or bulimia," said Schaefer. "Some people fall onto that spectrum and end up going all the way down to the end. Some people can stay in chronic dieting for their whole life, but I'd argue that it's not a happy place to live."

What we should all be striving for, Schaefer said, is balance. "Sometimes I worry that the fight against obesity is really scaring children," she said. "What I strive for today, with food and with exercise and body image, is balance." That means flexible, "intuitive" eating that allows you to assess your hunger and satisfy your cravings. "And there's no shame, there's no guilt attached to food. Food is just food," she said.

"Some days I crave real cheesecake," she added, "and some days I crave the Yoplait cheesecake."

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/does-this-commercial-encourage-eating-disorders-video-2497971/

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: NEDA complains, Yoplait pulls ad
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:44 pm 
admin goddess from hell

Quote:
"This felt like a 20-second look at the mind of somebody with an eating disorder," she pointed out.

This is what struck me; how true. I can look in the fridge or cupboard, even know what I'm supposed to eat for me meal plan, and still agonise about what to do,

~~ John Lennon

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:19 pm 
God just seeing that made me feel so sad for the first woman and my gosh you guys are right about it being a snapshot of an ED mindset.. I also really identify with that :(

Sadly I can see how that would be an incredibly effective advert for selling that yoghurt.. I would also be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that they think that sort of thing is "normal" for women which is really tragic...

I am quite impressed they pulled it though after NEDA complained. I think that shows something for Yoplait's character tbh.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:29 pm 
Just wanted to say I've merged these threads cos they're about exactly the same thing. Hope that's alright with everyone!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:23 am 
exploring my potential!

it is almost as if the target group ARE eating disordered people.
i also dont think this is the way to combat obesity. it would turn it into another eating disorder...

pursuing it with weary feet/ until it joins some larger way/ where many paths and errors meet/ and wither then?/ i cannot say.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:54 am 
i bite back hardcore

The stupid thing is if they had made it about the other advantages of yoghurt over cheesecake it could be quite clever and quite funny. Like its easier to carry yoghurt in your bag, or eat it in a really bumpy car without a plate and getting frosting everywhere! I mean yoghurt is great why does it have to be a substitute for cake?

It seems so strange to have everything the ED says actually used to try to sell something. I guess those thoughts just arnt so ingrained in the marketing people if they genuinely didn't think in an ED way!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:29 am 
orange you prolific

Sigh, I couldn't even finish reading the article it was that bad. The picture alone is disordered enough, far too.. encouraging? It's like I walked into Topshop yesterday, first thing I saw when I got to the top of the escalator was a huge picture of what looked to be a very underweight girl, very... protuding. I stopped at the top of the escalator in horror =/

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:48 pm 
healthy is sexy

Ohhhhhh that commercial, I always had the TV on mute when it was on. (The woman looks like a blonde Sarah Palin, lol)
Ohhhhhhhh my god I watched it just now, disgusting, just disgusting.
So glad they pulled it. Go NEDA!! :clap:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:12 pm 
power lies within

They still have the one with the woman talking to cake in the store and being told of yoplait yogurt by a "baker" who goes on to say "can you belive I've actually lost weight since working here"

Annoying as hell. If you want cake, eat it. Moderation is fine. Denial will only lead to binges, low self image and feeling deprived.

A recovery focused peer support eating disorder forum

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:21 am 
orange wonder

I doubt it's totally uninentional. Probably not targeted only as ED-people as such, but brilliantly adressing people's (women's, especially) insecurities...
Those are professionals, after all. They know where to aim.
It's an common device in advertisement to create the impression that you lack something that the product can remedy...There's an example from my social psychology book that tells how Gerald Lambert, who inherited the company which produced Listerine, invented Halitosis as an ailment to fit with the cure he conveniently was already selling. (You don't want to have bad breath and turn away all your potential grooms, now, do you?)
Just as Marlboro will let you break free from your daily routine or a certain brand of underwear will actually make you look more like the models and less like, well, you (who'd want to look like you, really?) and eating the right kind margarine will spice up you're absolutely deficient sex life and lead to amazing love-making beneath a waterfall... :roll:

Conscience has no jury
Like eyes to details turned
Nor has shame a stage
Life perfectionism scorned

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:33 pm 
exploring my potential!

faustinchen wrote:
eating the right kind margarine will spice up you're absolutely deficient sex life and lead to amazing love-making beneath a waterfall

haha sometimes i really think these people are on hallucinogenics. and have loads of money. some adverts really seem to be some weird peoples phantasies... ah human beings are strange :carrot2:

pursuing it with weary feet/ until it joins some larger way/ where many paths and errors meet/ and wither then?/ i cannot say.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Moderator: post-mods Go to page 1, 2  Next