Last visit was: It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:10 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: shed your weight problem
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:31 pm 
power lies within

This is old news. Maybe it's been posted already.

NEDIC advertisement urges women to toss fashion magazines
Visitors to Toronto’s Queen St. West have been greeted by a different sort of billboard recently — one that urges passersby to deposit fashion magazines into the ad itself.

The campaign was organized by the National Eating Disorder Information Centre in partnership with Toronto-based communication agency Zulu Alpha Kilo. NEDIC director Merryl Bear says the ad aims to bring attention to the negative influence fashion magazines have on self-image.
NEDIC's fashion magazine drop-box advertisement

Reaction to the campaign has been positive, says Bear. “Our website comment section is full of positive reaction,” she says. “The public are desperate for change and are fully supporting the initiative.”

Also supporting the campaign is Fashion acting editor in chief Bernadette Morra. “I think it’s brilliant,” she says. “I think it is very clever and in tune with where women’s heads are at right now.”

Morra, who has been in the fashion journalism business for more than 25 years says the complaints about models are nothing new, but is getting worse. “It is the designers that are promoting this image,” she says. “We at Fashion try our hardest to balance the reality and the fantasy. Especially in the images that we can control, we can’t control the models that designers choose to hire. We try to show images that aren’t going to be as off-putting as an emaciated 14-year-old on the runway. We show fashion icons, women of all shapes and sizes.”

Major industry players need to step up and complain in order for changes to be made, says Morra. She cites British Vogue editor in chief Alexandra Shulman, who sent a letter to top fashion houses in Europe and the U.S. chastising them for using underage, unrealistically thin models. “I think it would take an Anna Wintour who has so much power to say this has got to change,” she says.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: shed your weight problem
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:08 am 
orange you glad?

I think that's awesome. >:3

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:09 pm 
orange you prolific

Huzzah, this rocks!! :x

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:25 pm 
orange wonder

Love this! :mrgreen: Truly awesome campaign.
But some more aggressive part of me wants to *shred* all those weight problems...

Conscience has no jury
Like eyes to details turned
Nor has shame a stage
Life perfectionism scorned

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:10 am 
orange is a state of mind

faustinchen wrote:
Love this! :mrgreen: Truly awesome campaign.
But some more aggressive part of me wants to *shred* all those weight problems...

I use shredded paper for my rats' cage so I do "shred" those weight problems (as well as stupid research question problems...)

Love this campaign

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:56 pm 
orange like clockwork

delenda wrote:
This is old news. Maybe it's been posted already.

NEDIC advertisement urges women to toss fashion magazines
Visitors to Toronto’s Queen St. West have been greeted by a different sort of billboard recently — one that urges passersby to deposit fashion magazines into the ad itself.

The campaign was organized by the National Eating Disorder Information Centre in partnership with Toronto-based communication agency Zulu Alpha Kilo. NEDIC director Merryl Bear says the ad aims to bring attention to the negative influence fashion magazines have on self-image.

Reaction to the campaign has been positive, says Bear. “Our website comment section is full of positive reaction,” she says. “The public are desperate for change and are fully supporting the initiative.”

Also supporting the campaign is Fashion acting editor in chief Bernadette Morra. “I think it’s brilliant,” she says. “I think it is very clever and in tune with where women’s heads are at right now.”

Morra, who has been in the fashion journalism business for more than 25 years says the complaints about models are nothing new, but is getting worse. “It is the designers that are promoting this image,” she says. “We at Fashion try our hardest to balance the reality and the fantasy. Especially in the images that we can control, we can’t control the models that designers choose to hire. We try to show images that aren’t going to be as off-putting as an emaciated 14-year-old on the runway. We show fashion icons, women of all shapes and sizes.”

Major industry players need to step up and complain in order for changes to be made, says Morra. She cites British Vogue editor in chief Alexandra Shulman, who sent a letter to top fashion houses in Europe and the U.S. chastising them for using underage, unrealistically thin models. “I think it would take an Anna Wintour who has so much power to say this has got to change,” she says.

I would *like* this on fb ahahha :P lol

Offline Profile