Last visit was: It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:50 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: What is up with the number of spammers recently?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:51 pm 
orange you glad?

Are there always this many and I just haven't ever noticed before? Does it have something to do with the switch?

This is the latest one:

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=7612

With 7 posts so far in 5 minutes and all spam :(

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately-to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: What is up with the number of spammers recently?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:35 pm 
admin goddess from hell

Oh man, I know. I've banned him and his email address, and I'm deleting his posts as I come across them, but yes, it's not your imagination, we have far more spammers than before. However, the much more technical people than I are working on a solution to this, so hopefully soon we'll have an answer.

In the interim, I think there is a button for reporting a post and it would be helpful if you would use it when you run across spam so we can get on it really quickly.

~~ John Lennon

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:38 pm 
orange you glad?

Yeah, apparently it's quite normal for a bunch of spam to come along after an upgrade. They just see a new site and target it, but I'm sure it'll die down ^.^

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:43 pm 
orange you glad?

Spender wrote:
In the interim, I think there is a button for reporting a post and it would be helpful if you would use it when you run across spam so we can get on it really quickly.

Oh, I'm so silly, I didn't even see that button. Thanks!

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately-to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:01 pm 
orange goddess

I logged on last night and I noticed that there were google bots and yahoo bots on the board in the member's list anything we should be concerned about.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:29 pm 
remixgurl88 wrote:
I logged on last night and I noticed that there were google bots and yahoo bots on the board in the member's list anything we should be concerned about.

Nope. I don't fully understand them but they're just so that the forum can be found in a google or yahoo search I think (and just the public sections I believe).

I think they've always been there it's just for some reason in this new upgrade you can see them. They're certainly nothing to worry about.

As for the spammers... AGHGHJGJH I hate them... I promise we're working on it! And like Spender said please do use the exclamation mark on the bottom right of spam posts to report them so we can find, ban the spammer and delete the posts quicker.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:14 pm 
i bite back hardcore

Something another forum that I frequent did was add a question to the registration form that combats bots because they don't recognise the search criteria.
The question was "Are you human?" And any answer with two or more characters was accepted.
Would it be possible for us to have something like that?

I will not say that I failed 1000 times, I will say I discovered 1000 ways to fail.

The best thing in life is doing what others say you can't do.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:38 pm 
^^ Yes, my boyfriend suggested that too. So we tried to implement it, but unfortunately it doesn't work. He thinks it's something to do with the Style being out of date, but updating that is going to be a huge task. As soon as my boyfriend and Serra's hubby get some time to talk their geek talk, we'll see if we can get it sorted :)