We Bite Back
http://webiteback.com/forum/

Fire Ronald McDonald
http://webiteback.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=14202
Page 1 of 2

Author:  poeticprincess88 [ Fri May 20, 2011 4:41 am ]
Post subject:  Fire Ronald McDonald

I can't find the exact article but there's been a lot of news stories lately about how Michelle Obama and a bunch of nutritionist want Ronald McDonald fired because he promotes obesity and bad choices to children. What are your takes on it.

Author:  Seekingnewpastures [ Fri May 20, 2011 5:17 am ]
Post subject: 

Anything that strikes a blow to the disgusting corporation that is McDonalds is a good thing in my mind.

Author:  Electric Leech [ Fri May 20, 2011 5:24 am ]
Post subject: 

I think firing him is..I don't know..maybe a bit sad, he's been the mascot for McD's for years. I know the food they sell is..well, less than high-quality etc, but maybe just re-designing him and have him promote a variety of the foods might give out a better message. So kids could have a burger and salad or something. I know forcing the "healthy" message isn't right, but from their point of view with trying to tackle obesity (because it's so obviously caused by one fast food chain :roll: ) I don't think taking away that creepy clown is gonna do much.

Maybe I'm just sentimental, but seriously. It's not like he's on the ads (hell, he's on none in the UK) eating a supersize triple cheese double burger thing. Or I don't know, does he do that in the US?

Author:  kurayami [ Fri May 20, 2011 5:24 am ]
Post subject: 

I can't speak for McDonalds America, but in Australia Ronald McDonald is hardly ever seen or used and it hasn't hurt McDonalds' business any. The fact that the food is there, convenient and poor parental decisions is much more of a factor in childhood obesity than any symbol, I reckon.

Author:  faustinchen [ Fri May 20, 2011 6:51 am ]
Post subject: 

But he... he's the only one that stands in defense between us and the Hamburglar. :shock:

Sorry, I'm in a bit of a silly mood today;-)

I don't want to defend or make excuses for McDonald's, but honestly I think that to blame it on the clown is to miss the point. The mascot may be an easy target, but the problems around eating and health are way more complicated.
Also, I don't like the hysteria with which the notion of a "fat menace" is perpetuated. This seems like a prime example.

Author:  Kizzi [ Fri May 20, 2011 7:51 am ]
Post subject: 

Hmmm so I'm going butt in here and suggest that McDonalds isn't quite, you know, the devil incarnate :? I've volunteered for Ronald McDonald House, a charity which heavily relies on funds from Maccas restaurants, for the last 2 years......Ronald McDonald House is basically how many families get to be with their kids when they are sick. So incredibly important. And Maccas restaurants contribute millions of $s per year in helping us stay afloat......just wanted to point out the grey.....

Author:  Seekingnewpastures [ Fri May 20, 2011 8:34 am ]
Post subject: 

I feel the same way about McDonalds as I do about Disney..... and with my thoughts and feelings on animal rights and vegetarianism, perhaps I'd better not get involved in this one!

Author:  SeetherChick [ Fri May 20, 2011 10:13 am ]
Post subject: 

Oh, bloody hell.

Surely there are more important things for the American government to worry about than an outdated cartoon clown occassionally used to promote fast food?

Author:  Becky [ Fri May 20, 2011 11:24 am ]
Post subject: 

Since I hate McDonald's anyway, I don't give a damn.

Author:  FoodIsLife [ Fri May 20, 2011 11:45 am ]
Post subject: 

Ya, I for one hope the whole damn corporation goes crashing down.

Author:  faustinchen [ Fri May 20, 2011 11:49 am ]
Post subject: 

FoodIsLife wrote:
Ya, I for one hope the whole damn corporation goes crashing down.


Except that this is not what the campaigners state as their intention.
There surely are better reasons and points of criticism than a fictional mascot?

Author:  chickadee [ Fri May 20, 2011 12:03 pm ]
Post subject: 

Has anyone read Fast Food Nation?

It's really interesting, they talk a lot about how McDonalds has targeted their advertising at kids. I think that's so wrong. It's like a high school kid bullying a kindergartner.

I think it would be a good idea, mostly because it would start a shift of advertising at adults perhaps.


faustinchen wrote:
But he... he's the only one that stands in defense between us and the Hamburglar. :shock:


YESSSSSSS. Hahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Oh, the love for you and for this statement.

Author:  faustinchen [ Fri May 20, 2011 12:11 pm ]
Post subject: 

Chickadee, you have a point there. But that goes for many different corporations and products as well. (Think Alcopops: targeted at early to mid-twens, of course...)

But what still gets me is that this seems like yet another instance of fear-mongering about fat children.
Maybe I am too biased, because I suffer from an ED and feel that these "health"- promotions put a lot of pressure on me and others but I think that the general message of such campaigns is also contributing to people feeling bad about themselves for indulging in so-called "junk food".

Author:  Electric Leech [ Fri May 20, 2011 4:41 pm ]
Post subject: 

faustinchen wrote:
But what still gets me is that this seems like yet another instance of fear-mongering about fat children.
Maybe I am too biased, because I suffer from an ED and feel that these "health"- promotions put a lot of pressure on me and others but I think that the general message of such campaigns is also contributing to people feeling bad about themselves for indulging in so-called "junk food".

Mm, that's kinda what I feel. I mean, the stuff's not gonna do you the world of good but if it's the kinda thing you like, then it's not bad to have it occasionally.

They've pretty much stopped bothering with the mascot in UK ads, he's just a cut-out in some restaurants not, but instead of ads aimed at kids it appears they've made ads aimed at parents featuring kids on a farm and a voiceover talking about where their ingredients come from and anything remotely "healthy" they can say about it. People know eating it every other day isn't good for you and they will eat it if they like the taste, regardless of how it's advertised.

Author:  chickadee [ Fri May 20, 2011 6:15 pm ]
Post subject: 

faustinchen wrote:
Chickadee, you have a point there. But that goes for many different corporations and products as well. (Think Alcopops: targeted at early to mid-twens, of course...)

But what still gets me is that this seems like yet another instance of fear-mongering about fat children.
Maybe I am too biased, because I suffer from an ED and feel that these "health"- promotions put a lot of pressure on me and others but I think that the general message of such campaigns is also contributing to people feeling bad about themselves for indulging in so-called "junk food".


You also have a point. Yes. I think (in my mind at least) there should be a middle somewhere... teaching kids that yes, it's ok to eat it every once and awhile, but every day isn't a good plan for the sake of variety. I just think that giving kids toys with their meals and having a kid-targeted mascot isn't going to get us to a happy middle of balance...

Page 1 of 2 All times are UTC - 4 hours
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/