Last visit was: It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:00 pm 
orange you prolific

That is what I meant but Rainbow also has a good point there.
FadingHippie wrote:
The body composition that she's discussing is not referring to where your weight is stored --- rather HOW it is stored --- ie fat or muscle.

Kelly

My cats think I'm perfect just the way I am!

Your feelings will not kill you, engaging in disordered behaviors could.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:03 pm 
galactic orange

FadingHippie wrote:
The body composition that she's discussing is not referring to where your weight is stored --- rather HOW it is stored --- ie fat or muscle.

oops! trust me to misinterpret everything when I'm tired xD Sorry about that. That's a very valid point (actually I overlooked the obvious there). Muscle is probably still 'too bulky' in today's catwalk trends.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:06 pm 
orange you prolific

So true. When I was sick I used to get upset because I had 'big' legs. I still do and always will....I tend have a lot of muscle there. I'd like to build up my upper body strength but I don't think it'll ever match my lower body.
Rainbow. wrote:
FadingHippie wrote:

oops! trust me to misinterpret everything when I'm tired xD Sorry about that. That's a very valid point (actually I overlooked the obvious there). Muscle is probably still 'too bulky' in today's catwalk trends.

Kelly

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:24 pm 
galactic orange

I have big legs too... though mine aren't necessarily muscly. Well, they used to be, but I'm not sure what happened. It doesn't matter where you're muscly or carry your weight though, you'll always be able to buy clothes to flatter your figure, because not all shops focus on whatever's been on the catwalk. I saw a gas mask with hair coming out of it in the newspaper once, and it was a photograph taken at a fashion show. Like that's ever going to take off!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:45 pm 
orange you prolific

Well I know it's possible to lose muscle mass, especially with EDs. I feel I'm just starting to get back to the way things were.

And a gas mask? Seriously?
Rainbow. wrote:
I have big legs too... though mine aren't necessarily muscly. Well, they used to be, but I'm not sure what happened. It doesn't matter where you're muscly or carry your weight though, you'll always be able to buy clothes to flatter your figure, because not all shops focus on whatever's been on the catwalk. I saw a gas mask with hair coming out of it in the newspaper once, and it was a photograph taken at a fashion show. Like that's ever going to take off!

Kelly

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:49 pm 
galactic orange

I lost muscle because I gained a lot of fat. I'm not too bothered though, I still exercise so I'm still nice and healthy, I guess.

And yeah, it was pretty creepy!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:09 pm 
orange scribe

Last edited by FadingHippie on Wed May 11, 2011 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:14 pm 
galactic orange

Some people do gain muscle really easily, like you, I guess!

Then there's just me. Unathletic, unfit and not muscular :3

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:34 pm 
orange you prolific

I'm pretty muscular but not the other two. I huff and puff after climbing the stairs and my knees and lack of stamina and coordination have forever teamed up to keep me from being an athlete. But I'm a lot of other awesome things. We are what we are and we are so much more than our bodies. Looking at my body would never tell you that I'm a good friend or that I love to read or that I'm good at math.
Rainbow. wrote:

Kelly

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:25 pm 
I'm surprised the study didn't look at other types of eating disorders like BED and COE...

Those are both mental illnesses which lead to obesity in some cases, and... aren't they caused by a different reaction to similar problems with self esteem due to never measuring up to impossible standards? wouldn't eradicating size zero models help with that too, allowing people to set more realistic goals? [I know I'm crazy over-simplifying, but the research premise still seems inaccurate to me... I've thought for a long time that the rise in EDs and in obesity may be more closely linked than people think.]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:26 pm 
orange scribe

It's because most of society - even an astonishing amount of medical professionals - hear eating disorder and think exclusively of anorectics and bulimics...

I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

http://recoverysabotage.tumblr.com/

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:46 am 
galactic orange

^I agree. Society isn't very clued up on eating disorders (amongst many things, and I know I'm a hypocrite for saying this because there are plenty of things I am not clued up on). When my mum told people she knew I was anorexic, they said "oh god, how skinny is she?" and there I was, pretty normal for my age.
komich wrote:
I'm pretty muscular but not the other two. I huff and puff after climbing the stairs and my knees and lack of stamina and coordination have forever teamed up to keep me from being an athlete. But I'm a lot of other awesome things. We are what we are and we are so much more than our bodies. Looking at my body would never tell you that I'm a good friend or that I love to read or that I'm good at math.
Rainbow. wrote:

Do you mind if I quote some of this post and put it in my signature? I loved the way you said about your body not telling what qualities you have.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Moderator: post-mods Go to page Previous  1, 2