Last visit was: It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:10 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Addicted to Food-Oprah Network
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:36 pm 
galactic orange

There is a show on the Oprah network called "Addicted to Food". It's supposed to be an inside look at inpatient treatment. Many of the clients seem to have COE/BED diagnose.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1844215/

I'm having a hard time finding effective words to talk about my disdain for the show. It seems to be extorting people at their weakest for ratings. I will give them a tiny bit of credit for posting many resources on their website.

Has anyone else seen this show?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:39 pm 
orange scribe

this show has been greatly talked about in the eating disorder activism world.

the show has actually contacted several providers and people in the field to garner opinions.

Since I have only seen one episode, I am trying not to formulate an opinion yet.

I will say that I like the fact that they are showing more than just anorectics and bulimics (via throwing up) --- and including anorexic/bulimics bulimics via laxatives compulsive overeaters and binge eaters

I am not so thrilled with the title of the show as I feel it equates eating disorders to addictions. I feel that eating disorders involve addictions but are not an addiction in and of itself

I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

http://recoverysabotage.tumblr.com/

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:46 pm 
galactic orange

From what I've seen, they use the 12 step model and the founder/group leader almost exclusively refers to the EDs as addictions.

The thing that bothered me most was when they made an exercise bulimic sit through morning workout. I've never been to an IP program so I don't know if exposures like that happen in other programs. I just know for myself that if someone sat down in front of me and ate a whole pile of junk food when I first started my recovery, I would not have had the coping skills to process the experience in anyway.

Maybe I'm judging too fast since I've watched maybe 45 minutes cumulatively but I'm getting rubbed the wrong way.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:51 pm 
orange scribe

I've only seen the first episode (in its entirety though) and the only problem I've had truly is that addiction --- I like that they have them all together as I think you can learn a lot from others, even if the disorder has manifested differently.

In my program that I went through I was exposed to some stuff that I didn't love, but I always had the option to walk out the door if it got to be too much - if I needed a moment.

They're trying to get it done in 6 weeks - they're going to push a little harder than most places.

also, every treatment place is different... different things work for different people. you know?

I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

http://recoverysabotage.tumblr.com/

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Addicted to Food-Oprah Network
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:00 pm 
getting under the peel

I've only seen a couple of episodes. I was really pleased to see binge eating disorder addressed on television.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Addicted to Food-Oprah Network
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:26 pm 
i love orange

I saw all the episodes and I have to admit I enjoyed some of it. I think it's was trying to come off as educational, but I found it more (forgive me..) entertaining. It reminded me of a lot of the therapy approaches I've tried. The end was kind of a bummer because some people didn't take recovering seriously enough.

But it didn't lead to anything

Offline Profile