Last visit was: It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:42 am


All times are UTC - 4 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: The Great Barbie Debacle
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:36 am 
orange scribe

Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:38 pm
Posts: 5278
Image

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7920962.stm

_________________
forgiveness has never been about changing the past, it's always been about changing the future

I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

http://recoverysabotage.tumblr.com/


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:02 pm 
orange you glad?
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:48 am
Posts: 1342
Location: Surrey, England
Ohh, the first thing I did was laugh x3 That's absolutely ridiculous. What iffed me about that article was the whole "Barbie's independent, women should be who they want to" Where's punk Barbie? And I don't mean imitation dolls, ones under her brand. Where's college-drop-out-because-of-emotional-self-development Barbie?
Then you've got the other end of the spectrum, Bratz. Yeah, they don't take crap from no one, they've got attitude. Do they have self-respect? >.>

Gosh, I sound like a right old biddy, but really =/. I liked Cindy, sometimes. She was always Barbie's underdog. Did Barbie have arms that you could wind back to make her swim in the bath? No, Cindy did. >;D

_________________
Lisa~
Confectionery-based Existentialist.


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:44 pm 
I preferred Cindy too! She was down to earth and much more natural looking.

We used to tie our lonesome barbie to a long strip of elastic and then make her bungee jump over the banisters. The aim was to get her to knock over all the ken dolls at the bottom of the stairs. Totally hilarious when you're 8.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:50 pm 
orange you glad?
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:48 am
Posts: 1342
Location: Surrey, England
Alexandra wrote:
I preferred Cindy too! She was down to earth and much more natural looking.

We used to tie our lonesome barbie to a long strip of elastic and then make her bungee jump over the banisters. The aim was to get her to knock over all the ken dolls at the bottom of the stairs. Totally hilarious when you're 8.


Haha xD I had one that had bendable knees and elbows, I used to fling her by the arms and make her do somersaults. One time, she wouldn't flip how I wanted to and in anger I took her by the hair and shook her. When I stuck the head back on, she just didn't look the same.

_________________
Lisa~
Confectionery-based Existentialist.


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:28 pm 
orange you prolific
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:19 pm
Posts: 3889
Location: Somerset, United Kingdom
That picture made me laugh.... oh dear, it really shows how ridiculous they are made!

_________________
"And what's worst, it's all because we fail to recognize our own beauty, because we are deluded into thinking we are inferior. But that's not true. We're different, is all." -faustinchen


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:49 pm 
galactic orange
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:45 am
Posts: 969
Location: Florida
Reminds me of this video I watched in a Women's Studies course.

Barbie's We'd Like to See:
http://www.womenstudies.appstate.edu/events/barbies/barbies.html

_________________
Skills can be taught. Character you either have or don't have.
-Anthony Bourdain


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:37 pm 
orange wonder
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:49 am
Posts: 4220
Location: The Rocky Mountains
Electric Leech wrote:
Ohh, the first thing I did was laugh x3 That's absolutely ridiculous. What iffed me about that article was the whole "Barbie's independent, women should be who they want to" Where's punk Barbie? And I don't mean imitation dolls, ones under her brand. Where's college-drop-out-because-of-emotional-self-development Barbie?
Then you've got the other end of the spectrum, Bratz. Yeah, they don't take crap from no one, they've got attitude. Do they have self-respect? >.>

Gosh, I sound like a right old biddy, but really =/. I liked Cindy, sometimes. She was always Barbie's underdog. Did Barbie have arms that you could wind back to make her swim in the bath? No, Cindy did. >;D


I actually loved Becky and I had a Becky doll. She was an underdog too because she was in a wheelchair. I loved dressing her up though because she looked waaay better than Barbie in her outfits anyway! :)

_________________
Don't Diet, Live It!


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:03 pm 
post-mod squad

Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:38 pm
Posts: 3593
Location: Canada
LWap wrote:
Reminds me of this video I watched in a Women's Studies course.

Barbie's We'd Like to See:
http://www.womenstudies.appstate.edu/events/barbies/barbies.html


Hah hah! That was awesome. I liked "Self-Defense Skipper" and "Stay At Home Ken" a lot.

Thanks for posting this, Kat.

_________________
Kizzi wrote:
It will always be there, sitting between you and the incredible life that is waiting on the other side. So I guess it's up to you when you want to deal with it, how many years you think is enough of a sacrifice, how much life you are willing to lose.


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:22 pm 
MartyCaseyFan wrote:
I actually loved Becky and I had a Becky doll. She was an underdog too because she was in a wheelchair. I loved dressing her up though because she looked waaay better than Barbie in her outfits anyway! :)


No freaking way! There was a doll in a wheelchair?! That's totally awesome! Aww I don't think we got that in England. Should have done though, talk about busting stereotypes!


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:46 pm 
orange wonder
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:49 am
Posts: 4220
Location: The Rocky Mountains
^Oh yes. In fact, here she is!

Image

Image

I think the main reason I chose her was because we shared the same first name. :-)

_________________
Don't Diet, Live It!


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:59 pm 
orange you prolific
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:19 pm
Posts: 3889
Location: Somerset, United Kingdom
That is awesome! Her outfit matches her chair too :)

_________________
"And what's worst, it's all because we fail to recognize our own beauty, because we are deluded into thinking we are inferior. But that's not true. We're different, is all." -faustinchen


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:21 am 
galactic orange

Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:06 pm
Posts: 957
Becky doll is hot. Real life barbie would be gross. If that's the image of perfection... fuck you, perfection, my figure is good enough as it is!


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:26 pm 
orange you prolific
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:19 pm
Posts: 3889
Location: Somerset, United Kingdom
Rainbow. wrote:
Becky doll is hot. Real life barbie would be gross. If that's the image of perfection... fuck you, perfection, my figure is good enough as it is!


THIS is what i'm talking about!! :x :x

_________________
"And what's worst, it's all because we fail to recognize our own beauty, because we are deluded into thinking we are inferior. But that's not true. We're different, is all." -faustinchen


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:22 pm 
galactic orange

Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:06 pm
Posts: 957
CaptainAwesome2.0 wrote:
Rainbow. wrote:
Becky doll is hot. Real life barbie would be gross. If that's the image of perfection... fuck you, perfection, my figure is good enough as it is!


THIS is what i'm talking about!! :x :x


ahaha i really like my figure! :)


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:29 pm 
orange wonder
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:49 am
Posts: 4220
Location: The Rocky Mountains
Rainbow. wrote:
CaptainAwesome2.0 wrote:
Rainbow. wrote:
Becky doll is hot. Real life barbie would be gross. If that's the image of perfection... fuck you, perfection, my figure is good enough as it is!


THIS is what i'm talking about!! :x :x


ahaha i really like my figure! :)


Well why shouldn't you? It's YOUR figure. You only get one body so make the most of it! :x

_________________
Don't Diet, Live It!


Top
Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Moderator: post-mods Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Theme created StylerBB.net & kodeki