Last visit was: It is currently Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:40 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 3:55 pm 
orange scribe

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=gr ... 6960047742

I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

http://recoverysabotage.tumblr.com/

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:03 pm 
orange you prolific

Done!! :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:31 pm 
I'm a little confused with this tbh...

I watched an episode of this version of the show... granted it was only the one episode but it actually seemed to be a really positive experience for the kids.

For a start from what I gathered they actually were only made to eat each others food for a single day. The rest of the time was spent doing things like getting them to do blind taste tests of food so they realise they actually do like and enjoy a much wider range of food than they orginally thought (one of the kids was very underweight due to having crohn's that went undiagnosed for years and caused him a lot of pain so he developed a phobia of eating basically despite the fact the crohn's is now under control.. and the other was overweight due to eating far too much "junk food" basically and thought he hated all healthy food and his mum had given up trying to get him to eat healthily and didn't even provide him with vegetables to eat at meal times)

A dietician made them healthy meals a few times and taught their parents how to cook them and got them to eat them with their kids which showed the parents how picky they were abotu food too and how they weren't setting a good example and that they could cook healthy food...

The emphasis of the show seemed to be on the parents and it honestly seemed like a really positive experience for all involved..

Interesting the parent of the underweight child had anorexia as a teenager and was afraid her son was developing it... and I really think that kid might have been saved from developing an eating disorder because it really seemed to eradicate his fear of eating...

I guess my main point is this isn't like the adult version of the show....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 4:59 pm 
orange scribe

oh I totally agree Eleanor.

I said earlier... I think the only thing I truly take issue with is the fact that they're on television whilst doing it... that I have a feeling that they're probably targets at school for mockery --- in the United States there's a campaign out against childhood obesity that features pictures of real children... I don't like that for the same reason

the adult one, I think is different, because they are choosing to put themselves out there like that...

I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

http://recoverysabotage.tumblr.com/

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Super Size Vs Super Skinny- Kids!?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:11 am 
Orange Admin

Those of you on Twitter might have seen Ilona Burton (ED activist, recovery warrior and all-round babe) challenge Dr Christian Jessen for the shock-value based representations of eating disorders on Supersize vs Superskinny yesterday.

She's made this video discussing her (fantastic and entirely valid) reasoning behind speaking out, which is worth checking out! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANb8E2o9OdU

:)

"Don't compromise yourself. You are all you've got."

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Moderator: post-mods Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3