Last visit was: It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:50 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Daily Mail Article
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:04 pm 
orange you glad?

This article highlights how bad crash dieting is, but the fact that the reporter states that she's happy with her body now still sheds a negative light on it. Ironically enough, after saying that she has a whole list of things she's suffering with due to the diet, and has a dietician's opinion in. It's one of those good/bad things, they're reporting it's bad but saying it "works" anyway. =/

WARNING: Stupidly unhealthy meal-plan mentioned.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... kouts.html

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:42 pm 
The Daily Fail strikes again. Seriously:

Quote:
I really wasn't happy with my figure (something I have in common with most women, according to every survey published on the subject).

OH REALLY?! I wonder why on earth this could be? Huh Daily Mail?? Cosmopolitan? Glamour? OK!? Heat?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:45 pm 
Also, I love how they managed to get the word "thinspiration" in there. It's only a matter of time before it gets it's official entry in the Oxford English Dictionary.

And doing aerobics for two hours EVERY DAY? Hmmm I think I have much better things to do with my time. Like practising my harp and getting really good at at. Or reading through and replying to posts on here. Or playing computer games. Or spending time with my loved ones. Pretty much anything in fact.

To every article on dieting and exercise, I only have this to say:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:59 pm 
kismetjeska

I actually hate this paper so much.

They had an article once on how dieting was normal, people on a permenant diet shouldn't feel ashamed because THEY were the ones with willpower, and that thinspiration wasn't actually that bad- maybe it should be handed out on the NHS to curb obesity.

*bangs head against wall repetitively*

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:07 pm 
galactic orange

Fesijhaegknqr. *head in hands*

Ridiculous. "Oh I look great but I almost blacked out. But it was so worth it!" Grr.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:31 pm 
orange you prolific

I'm soooo not reading that meal plan, but for the record.. i think Gwenyth Paltrow looks fcuking awful right now. :(

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:07 pm 
orange you glad?

CaptainAwesome2.0 wrote:
I'm soooo not reading that meal plan, but for the record.. i think Gwenyth Paltrow looks fcuking awful right now. :(

Tell me about it x.x They had a picture comparing the reporter after a third way through the diet and Gwyneth, the reporter gleams in comparison. I really hope she didn't stick to it. =/

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:01 pm 
i bite back hardcore

Wow its disturbing that people are even allowed to sell diets like that.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:08 pm 
andi, i agree...

I feel like whatever the country's health association is should get to approve diet books before they are sold...
there are too many people who think that because it is in a book, the plans are safe and healthy...

some sort of system like "this book's recommendations are considered by [whatever the national agency is] to be unhealthy methods of weight loss"

or for a good system "these methods are considered safe for individuals deemed medically overweight, when the program is monitored by a health care practitioner."

and if a book didn't want to get approved, then something like "disclaimer: NOT approved by the [agency name]"

There are just too many people who will believe whatever they read as long as it's printed...
[and such warnings might help to halt this normalizing of dieting/weight loss as "healthy"]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:47 pm 
:topic:

I go on the Daily Mail's site every now and then when I need something to get wound up and spluttering about..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:34 pm 
Butterfly wrote:
:topic:

I go on the Daily Mail's site every now and then when I need something to get wound up and spluttering about..

Ha ha same here. I just can't stop myself! It's like I need something to get angry about! :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:51 pm 
i bite back hardcore

Kara-Corinne wrote:
andi, i agree...

I feel like whatever the country's health association is should get to approve diet books before they are sold...
there are too many people who think that because it is in a book, the plans are safe and healthy...

some sort of system like "this book's recommendations are considered by [whatever the national agency is] to be unhealthy methods of weight loss"

or for a good system "these methods are considered safe for individuals deemed medically overweight, when the program is monitored by a health care practitioner."

That seems like a great idea. People assume diets are ok to follow if they are published and don't even realize the consequences that could occur. The health associations must realize that diets like the one in this article are unhelathy and could have long term consequeces including eating disorders.

Offline Profile