Last visit was: It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:41 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:31 pm 
orange you prolific

Sizes ARE worthless. We have a store here in the US where I'D be a size 0, I'm normally a 12-18 depending on the item of clothing!

FadingHippie wrote:
here it's brand by brand whether or not we do odd sizes...
and as we all know sizes are worthless anyway as they differ by brand.

I like how expensive jeans/pants in the US (and I'm guessing most jeans in the UK) go with actual measurements for sizes. makes more sense to me.

like menswear

---

back on topic. sort of. dove when they did their campaign for real beaut even had specifications for those models... which I found interesting

Kelly

My cats think I'm perfect just the way I am!

Your feelings will not kill you, engaging in disordered behaviors could.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:41 pm 
orange addict

Sizes are ridiculous...

For the record, I'm fairly sure the realistic difference between American sizes and British sizes is more than four, regardless of what is officially specificied. For instance, I'm 8-10 in Australian sizes (which I think are the same as British?), but never more than a 0 in American sizes... My friends who have been overseas or ordered online pretty much agree.

Awesome e-mail response, hun!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:45 pm 
orange scribe

violetcrumble_99 wrote:
Sizes are ridiculous...

For the record, I'm fairly sure the realistic difference between American sizes and British sizes is more than four, regardless of what is officially specificied. For instance, I'm 8-10 in Australian sizes (which I think are the same as British?), but never more than a 0 in American sizes... My friends who have been overseas or ordered online pretty much agree.

More than four sounds unlikely considering most websites say it is four for dresses and two for pants... and when I sent stuff via the clothing exchange to UKers it worked out well going on the two size difference...

In the United States a size 6 is roughly a 28, 4 is a 27, 2 is a 26

I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

http://recoverysabotage.tumblr.com/

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:50 pm 
We do everything here in 8,10,12,14 system including trousers so it's 4 there too.

It's annoying as hell.. I wish they had to do it in inches because then they wouldn't be able to vary the sizes so much on a whim... plus it makes no sense that jeans that fit at your waist are technically the same size as a pair that fit on your hips as well.. unless you're an oblong that is impossible....

I guess this is getting kinda off topic...

We get so much spam through my university e-mail system.. drives me nuts... I have taken to barely going into my uni e-mail which sometimes means I only find out about stuff the day before but when you're getting 5+ e-mails a day you get somewhat overwhelmed by it.....

Not sure that was on topic either I guess :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:23 pm 
orange addict

FadingHippie wrote:
violetcrumble_99 wrote:
Sizes are ridiculous...

More than four sounds unlikely considering most websites say it is four for dresses and two for pants... and when I sent stuff via the clothing exchange to UKers it worked out well going on the two size difference...

In the United States a size 6 is roughly a 28, 4 is a 27, 2 is a 26

Hmmm, weird. Perhaps Australian sizes are different to British then? :ooook:

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:30 am 
orange you glad?

Butterfly wrote:
It's annoying as hell.. I wish they had to do it in inches because then they wouldn't be able to vary the sizes so much on a whim...

Even sizing based on inches is subject to "vanity sizing"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09/0 ... 09004.html

http://racked.com/archives/2010/09/08/v ... -waist.php

or - as this site postulates - there is no such thing as "vanity sizing":
http://www.vanitysizing.com/

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately-to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Moderator: post-mods Go to page Previous  1, 2