Last visit was: It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:12 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Old toys get new makeovers
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:55 pm 
exploring my potential!

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/41895570?GT1=43001

I read this article because there's a part of me that still appreciates toys, and I was feeling nostalgic.... Needless to say, I came away feeling...disturbed.

What do any fellow Oranges think?

Not all who wander are lost.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Old toys get new makeovers
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:01 pm 
yellow_rose wrote:
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/41895570?GT1=43001

I read this article because there's a part of me that still appreciates toys, and I was feeling nostalgic.... Needless to say, I came away feeling...disturbed.

What do any fellow Oranges think?

I honestly hate this fashion that encourages little girls to be flirty because it's "cute"... those fairy dolls go along with that....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:09 pm 
exploring my potential!

Definitely.... It was the "monster" dolls that got me, and those dolls from New Zealand that are supposed to be models-- especially with that blurb about "following a 'healthy' diet, drinking liters of mineral water, and working out with a personal trainer." True, put that way it seems harmless enough, but...how many times has eating "healthy" and working out gone too far, especially where fashion is concerned? The messages these things are sending to little girls makes me cringe.... And why make over Rainbow Brite and Strawberry Shortcake? What was "wrong" with them to begin with?!

I wonder if American Girl will be next in line for a makeover? It's owned by Matel, and the the dolls are sort of thick and "chunky."

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:16 pm 
orange addict

Holy crap! I can't believe how emaciated the new Barbie dolls look. That's so disturbing.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:48 pm 
feeling out the orange

unbelievable. For one, the new trolls are just ridiculous. Second, I agree with all of the above. I just shared the link on FB and Twitter. I'm interested to see what other people say as well. Rainbow brite was my absolute favorite growing up. Why do they think things have to be 'updated' (read: sexualized) in order to appeal to "today's youth". We liked it then, why wouldn't it still appeal?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:59 pm 
exploring my potential!

^ That's a good question.... It might be that if they "brought back" the older toys in their original state, the toys would still appeal. I don't think it's the children the companies are marketing to-- I think it's the adults/parents because society and popular culture are so sexualized and so obsessed with perfect bodies, etc, that it's spilling over onto the kids' toys. The same people who are making the fashion magazines, writing the tabloids, and pushing the impossible ideals at adults have basically started doing the same to the kids.... Why? Because it keeps everyone in business-- the fashion industry, the beauty industry, the diet industry, etc.

...I'm not sure if that little mini-rant made sense, but it did in my head!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:29 am 
Dear god if I had been born a couple of decades later I would never have survived school! I was never ever fashionable or swayed by peer pressure until I was a teenager. But that was kind of ok for kids in the late 80's early 90's. Clearly not for kids now. I despair! Another reason why I feel I could never have children - I'm frightened about the way the world is going.

Those new My Little Ponies are the most terrifying things I've ever seen! My god why don't they just paint them all white while they're at it and call them My Little Undead Ponies?

At least they're being honest with those lollipop dolls. They do look like lollipops. Lollipops, but with no calories! Perfect, just what today's 8 year old needs!

I blame Bratz. They started it. I think whoever designed those dolls is a paedophile, or at least mentally unstable in some way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:13 am 
orange you prolific

That's...ridiculous.. i've noticed this trend all over the Nickelodeon chanel (spongebob ftw) Also with the newer 'diet coke' adverts, similiar beyond petite dolls working in an office, hmmm. This kinda thing has always been around in some sense; anyone remember how TINY they made Jasmine's waist in Aladin? But there's a difference between beyond tiny..AND being abit slagged up...incorporating the two = ruining society. Sad times.. :(

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:31 pm 
orange wonder

yellow_rose wrote:
I wonder if American Girl will be next in line for a makeover? It's owned by Matel, and the the dolls are sort of thick and "chunky."

You see, that's how dolls that are half-plush are supposed to be! I hope they don't change them because they looked like real 9-10 year old girls. I still have Molly and Josefina, and I can't imagine those dolls looking any other way.

I blame Bratz too. In the earlier stages of my ED (I was still VERY young), I picked up one of the ones my dad gave me for my birthday and I saw everything that I didn't have. For some weird reason, my Barbie dolls didn't give me as much of a complex...

I miss my Sailor Moon dolls. Sure, they were built similiary to Barbies, but the proportions weren't quite as fucked up.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:19 pm 
i bite back hardcore

What happened to barbie?
And god, that horse thing....

My childhood was just a few years ago and then horses looked like horses and barbie had a bit of a waist.

And, has anyone noticed how all the action men dolls have been sexed up, with inner Vs and six packs.
:-?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:39 pm 
orange wonder

I am soooooo glad that my childhood is over.

Offline Profile