Last visit was: It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:52 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Starved
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:21 pm 
healthy is sexy

It was a sitcom on FX that only lasted one season. Yes, a comedy about 4 middle aged men in NYC with eating disorders. Shocking? I never heard of it until a couple days ago, but I watched the whole season on YouTube.

I honestly found it HILARIOUS. It's funny without being insulting (as far as i'm concerned). If you have trouble with triggers, don't watch it, personally i didnt find it at all triggering, but everyones triggered by something different so who knows. If you feel youre strong enough to watch though I'd reccomend it, because it gave me quite a few good laughs :) Its like a show MADE for us because we'd get the jokes and the situations more than non ED people would. Their life was much different than my life is, however if I had a bunch of friends with EDs maybe it would have been more similiar, who knows!

But I'm curious as to if anyone finds it distasteful, and if maybe I'm odd for finding it so funny. But I really think its taking a slightly exaggerated (and sometimes quite understated) humerous look at EDs, without poking fun AT the disorder. Hopefully that makes sense. And what I also liked was that its not all just funny, they also show the pain of it all and how it can destroy your life. They make a point to do that quite a few times, and it gets a pretty serious tone sometimes.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:15 pm 
orange you glad?

It's interesting...

And now I just rofl'd at the colon-cleaning "explosion" xDD
I think it's odd that it was taken off because people thought it'd be triggering, I mean I understand, but it'd put an awful lot of perspective on all those diet/lifestyle programmes ie, I think they put a worse message out there than a sitcom. Maybe it was just too blunt for some people.

I found the treatment group scenes a bit iffy like in Requiem for a Dream (couldn't even finish that film) with Jared's mum. But I found the more you got into it, the more stuff came out. Like with the gym scene in episode 3 I think, the anorexic woman obsessing over why this other woman had such low body fat, then found out she was having chemo. It pointed out how we shouldn't compare ourselves to others.

Whenabouts was this broadcast?

Last edited by Electric Leech on Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:41 pm 
post-mod squad

"If you were a dog, I would kick you." :-) That scene was hilarious... The group leader was a piece of work.

I thought it was hilarious, in a "it's funny because it's true" way.

I didn't find it offensive or triggering, but I think it could be for some because a lot of numbers are mentioned.

It will always be there, sitting between you and the incredible life that is waiting on the other side. So I guess it's up to you when you want to deal with it, how many years you think is enough of a sacrifice, how much life you are willing to lose.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:27 pm 
orange is hot

Just recently watched it and thought it was really funny, I wish they wouldnt have cancelled it

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:38 pm 
orange goddess

Mmmm....I'm not sure how I feel about it.

I don't like the way they present the men's approaches to relationships. They're obsessed with dating thin women, for one thing, which I think is strange because although I know from this site that some people here are attracted to thin bodies, I know a lot of us would find it triggering to date a very thin person. I thought it was weird that ALL of them seemed to agree about that.

They talk a lot about ideal weights for people they'd like to date and that could definitely trigger some people.

As a sidenote, I found it completely bizarre that they were so public with their behaviors. I found that really distracting for some reason, even though I guess that's part of the humor.

But actually....I think comparing what they're doing to the way I would do things and how I'd feel about things brings me a little too close to...reminiscing, I guess. Maybe that's what bothers me about it. I mean, yeah, I relate to the content, but that's not a club I want to be part of anymore.

(I've only watched the first two parts of the first episode.)

ETA: Watched what I think was the last part of the first episode and I officially I don't like the show. I wouldn't have watched it at all if it hadn't related to eating disorders, and that's a really bad reason for me to do anything. It took the first half of the show for me to stop thinking about it purely in terms of my own history and deciding whether or not it was triggering, and then in the second half I realized I wasn't interested at all in the storyline. The main character is an unlikeable, self-absorbed jerk who I didn't find funny or deserving of sympathy. There were a few funny moments and I was a little bit interested in a couple of the other characters at times, but I'm not even slightly tempted to keep watching to see how the rest of it goes. Sorry, Oranges. Not a fan.

ETA again: I'm actually sorry I watched it. I don't think I'm triggered, but I'm suddenly not in the greatest of moods -- lingering annoyance at the protagonist, maybe. I'm sorry I watched something ed-related at all. I know not everyone will have the same reaction, but if you're not sure how it will affect you, I suggest you skip it. Also, in a different mindset I definitely would have explored the ed-related youtube clips that were "suggested" in the sidebar.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:43 pm 
I only watched the first 2 parts of the first show and I found it really upsetting and triggering. I don't find many things triggering either... it probably didn't help that the weight they were talking about for a woman is for someone my height and insanely I now want to lose 10lbs...

I wouldn't recommend this show and I'm really glad they cancelled it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:54 pm 
Hmm... It sounds like it could be interesting, but I think I'll wait until I'm in a better mental place to check it out.

I don't want to risk triggering myself, just in case.

Post subject: interesting
PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:49 pm 
stranger in an orange land

:pickle: what is the meaning to the show? if its going to make someone more open to the possibility of an ed then they have to stay away from those shows.

Offline Profile