PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:11 pm 
orange goddess

*speechless*

http://haveasliceofkatypie.wordpress.com

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:21 am 
orange is a state of mind

I've found another source (the Daily Mirror, but bear with me)

This source elaborates on what the mother actually said

Quote:
But Aly says: "She's not so underweight she's going to die next week. With an eating disorder you can get through it with therapy. But when you're fat, you're fat for life. Obviously I'd prefer it if she didn't get either."

Read more: http://www.mirror.co.uk/life-style/real ... z1Dv7JOFuT

Seems like Yahoo wanted to cause more of a fuss
Yeah, OK, she still shouldn't have said it, but there's a reason that Yahoo decided to omit the last part of the quote- to get a reaction. There's more of a reaction with what they've published than what the Mirror published...

I don't need you to respect me, I respect me,
I don't need you to love me, I love me
But I want you to know, you could know me
If you change your mind

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:55 am 

That still irks me...
1. I'm in therapy and I haven't truly "got through" it...and
2. I was "fat" and I am not now
and 3. even if I was still "fat"

actually, it irks me on so many levels I can't articulate it

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:03 pm 
orange you prolific

She sounds equally fucked up in both articles

"Corleigh's apprehensive about junk food and getting fat and she's always looking in mirrors. I'm glad I've trained her. I want her to grow up happy and do things I never did."

All i thought after reading this "What a stupid bitch." Does that make me a bad person? I still can't get over how low her calorie intake is..and the fact this mother is getting away with it? Surely it's a freaking form of child abuse?!? :(

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:49 pm 
orange wonder

It's one thing to want what's best for your children. It's another thing to purposely make them ill. Secondly, she says she wants her daughter to do things she never did. Well, if you have an ED, you won't be doing ANYTHING.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:02 pm 
orange scribe

it's also rather like she's justifying it, by saying.. eh... she's not so underweight she's going to die... no problem here...

malnutrition can kill at varying weights...just saying.

I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

http://recoverysabotage.tumblr.com/

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:14 am 

Nono, I understand that. It was more me showing that reading just one article doesn't always give you the full quote or whatever...

I don't need you to respect me, I respect me,
I don't need you to love me, I love me
But I want you to know, you could know me
If you change your mind

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:37 am 
orange addict

personally

its the ATTITUDE of this mother that disturbs me more than anything else. who cares if the article was purposely slanted to make it look worse than it actually was...its STILL a horrible attitude to have for yourself, not to mention to inflict upon your CHILD!!!

and if this woman actually had the nerve to tout her child-rearing anti-fat pro-ana policies to the news, then just imagine how many other parents quietly rear their children in the same fashion, hidden amongst the masses...

what is the statistic? the longer you have disordered eating, the more difficult it becomes to overcome them...something like that...this child will live with the regimen of self hatred, weight obsession, and calorie counting being forced upon her by her mother for 18 years...i doubt she will emerge unscathed...
i wonder at what age she will start to become even better than her mother at hating her body?
i wonder how long it will take her to start imposing an even stricter diet upon herself?
i wonder how much longer she has before her every waking moment is lived with the fear of being fat?

i look at the article as a glimpse into the bigger picture...the trend of eating disorders beginning at earlier ages, the role of parents and guardians of teaching children healthy eating, and societies attitudes towards obesity AND its obsession with the super skinny.

i don't know
obviously its been sensationalized in this particular article, but the CORE of the article is disturbing enough for me....

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:32 am 
skinnyknees wrote:
and if this woman actually had the nerve to tout her child-rearing anti-fat pro-ana policies to the news, then just imagine how many other parents quietly rear their children in the same fashion, hidden amongst the masses...

This is the chilling part I think.

It does happen and kids do die.. they pop in the news every now and then...
I'd like to reassure people that this is seen as abuse in the UK and if the child is really having her intake restricted she will be taken into care but the problem is it's notoriously difficult to prove (well unless you're stupid enough to sell your story to a newspaper) which is why these stories crop up where social workers were heavily involved and yet the kids still die of severe malnutrition...
I could link some other examples but I think I won't because it's just deeply disturbing and upsetting... there's some very sick and disturbed people out there.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Moderator: post-mods Go to page Previous  1, 2