Last visit was: It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:15 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: teen queen dethroned due to weight gain?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:24 pm 
orange scribe

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/mis ... d=12870431

A teenage Texas beauty queen is in court to keep her crown following accusations that the recently coronated Miss San Antonio violated her contract and gained too much weight.

A Bexar County judge Tuesday issued a temporary restraining order against the pageant's promoters that for now keeps the organization from formally stripping Domonique Ramirez, 17, of her title.

Ramirez took the Miss Bexar County Organization to court Tuesday, claiming in a lawsuit that she had been unfairly stripped of her title.

Ramirez's parents received an email on Jan. 25 saying the teenager had been replaced by the April 2010 pageant's runner-up.

Miss San Antonio contestants can compete in the annual Miss Texas Pageant.

The board says she violated the terms of her contract, did not attend required events, showed up late to appearances and gained weight.

"As a Miss San Antonio reigning queen, she has to live up to our rules and regulations and the standards of our contract," said Linda Woods, the pageant board's spokeswoman.

Woods accused Ramirez of skipping pageant-sanctioned events to attend unauthorized paid appearances.

In the media, Woods has suggested one of the reasons Ramirez lost her title was because she had gained weight.

"She was doing a photo shoot and asked to wear her wardrobe from the competition, but it did not fit her. I told her we need to get you on an exercise program. We need to get ready to compete for Miss Texas, just like any elite athlete," Woods told ABCNews.com.

Ramirez's lawyer, Luis Vera of the League of United Latin American Citizens, called the pageant's reasons for axing the teenager "lies."

"It's just total lies. They make things up one after another," Vera said.

The lawyer said the board violated the terms of its contract and is punishing Ramirez for their errors.

"The contract says she will be chaperoned and driven to every appearance and that her parents are not allowed to attend," he said. "Then they would call her and say she needs to get to events on her own. At the time she just turned 16, how is she supposed to get there without her parents?"

The pageant has declared the runner-up Ashley Dixon the new Miss San Antonio.

In the judge's temporary restraining order, issued Tuesday, however, the board is banned from naming a new winner until the case is finally adjudicated.

The parties are expected again in court on Feb. 16.

I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

http://recoverysabotage.tumblr.com/

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:21 pm 
orange is a state of mind

I just read this an hour or so ago!

If it had just been claims that she wasn't fulfilling her "duties" I'd not have thought much of it, but it looks entirely as if that's no more than a ploy to bulk up their excuse- for them to even mention her weight is shocking and unacceptable! I was speechless to read them claim she should be stripped of the title because she had gained weight rather than diet for the Miss Texas title! I mean is that even legal???

I hope she wins, as she was planning to see herself through college with the money, so it'd be a huge blow for her to lose that.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:32 pm 
orange scribe

and those things cost a fortune to even enter... so she'd be out all those costs as well...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:39 pm 
orange wonder

This article makes me soooo glad I gave up the pipedream of pageantry.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:43 pm 
post-mod squad

I agree with Linda, if she was violating her contract, not showing up, etc etc then I think it would be within their rights to "fire" her but for even mentioning the weight gain (in the video she looks perfectly fine to me) is appalling. God I hate beauty pageants.

It will always be there, sitting between you and the incredible life that is waiting on the other side. So I guess it's up to you when you want to deal with it, how many years you think is enough of a sacrifice, how much life you are willing to lose.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:42 am 
I'm just so glad this sort of stuff doesn't really exist over here to any significant level anyway....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:55 am 
i love orange

It isn't really a shock... these things are based on looks and 'talent'. It's just sad to see it being brought up as these girls aren't fully developed yet and they're seemingly encouraged not to grow.
but it does seem like threw it in there with the rest. "oh yeah, and you gained weight".

I don't think we have pageants in Canada either... could be wrong. I don't really understand them.

http://sonyatopaz.deviantart.com/

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:38 pm 
orange wonder

^From what I've seen, you guys do. They're just not NEARLY as popular there as they are here in the US, especially in the southern states.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:34 pm 
orange you prolific

Some schools now have beauty paegents here, i've only heard of a few though..sad, sad days :-(

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:37 pm 
orange scribe

We had a Mr. Noblesville in my high school... which was a male beauty pageant of sorts, but it was more on the humor spectrum

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:43 pm 
orange wonder

^See, why can't there be more of those? Male beauty pageants are hillarious!

This whole thing though reminds me of a book I really used to love by Cherrie Bennett called Life in the Fat Lane. I don't recommend it to anyone who is just starting recovery, but it really is a haunting book.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:12 pm 
galactic orange

Paegents are so pointless my eyes.

Beauty = everyone not just specific people!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:09 pm 
Wow. I just read the article, and I can't believe that a teen pageant is bringing up weight at all...

Pageants are really trying to re-brand themselves as a way to showcase unique beauty and talent... Trying to create a healthier image... [I'm not saying they have been successful, just acknowledging the attempts.] But this is a major step back. Arguing a contract in court is one thing. Telling a 17 year old that her body is not allowed to change for the duration of her "reign" is ridiculous...

It sounds like she has a good case though, so I hope it works out.

One of my high school friends [in Canada] did and still does pageants, and she is incredibly healthy, smart and talented. Knowing her, I can't cast these pageants off as useless because it really did help her finance her university, and allowed her to make some great connections in the dance world to jump-start her career... I guess I just wish her story was representative of all pageants, and that things like superficial "beauty" and weight weren't so central.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:07 pm 
post-mod squad

She got her crown and title back :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/mobile/world- ... a-12865174

It will always be there, sitting between you and the incredible life that is waiting on the other side. So I guess it's up to you when you want to deal with it, how many years you think is enough of a sacrifice, how much life you are willing to lose.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:19 am 
kismetjeska

sparrowsgirl wrote:

In a way that's inspiring, but in another way I kind of wish she had turned them down, saying she was better than that.

Offline Profile