Last visit was: It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:08 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: 7pm Project and it's Biggest Loser plug
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:01 am 
exploring my potential!

While I was sitting down and watching some television at the end of dinner, I flicked on the tv and started to watch the 7pm Project as I often do. I enjoy the comedians and media personalities that they have on the show for the most part.

Tonight they had a promo/plug piece for the Biggest Loser and an interview with one of the trainers on that show, Michelle Bridges. I should have turned it off, really. But I continued to watch the show, thinking "Oh if they just discuss calories or something that's fine". But without warning they showed all of this food that Bridges ate as part of the show and then showed footage of her throwing up in the toilet.

I was very distressed by this. It was really triggering for me to see footage of a woman bent over the toilet heaving her guts up. And then the surrounding conversation about weight and the plug of Bridges book called "Lose those last 5 Kilos" just really got my goat. At a minimum, surely the show's producers should have put up a warning to say that something gross was coming up. Surely, I'm not the only one that eats dinner between 6 and 7pm. Wouldn't those other people sitting down to their dinner want to have known in advance that they might see something that could really put them off their food?

I posted a message to the 7pm forums, telling them that I am eating disordered and was upset by what I saw. But I don't think it will make a lot of difference. It's not even that I care that this type of content is on tv, because extreme dieting and constant fixations on weight are abound in the media. But the nonchalant way they depict Bridges throwing up as if it's just good tv really bothered me.

Did anyone else see this?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:03 pm 
kismetjeska

I didn't watch this so I can't comment fully, but I will say what the fuck?

If I understand correctly, then you are saying they showed a woman purging like it wasn't a big problem? In relation to a show about weight loss?

I think I have lost all faith in the media.

Offline Profile