Last visit was: It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:30 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Trigger: lots of diet and calorie talk
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:47 pm 
admin goddess from hell

I chose to post this in KYEP because while the article purports to be an "objective" look at issues of overweight and weigh loss, there is absolutely no analysis of the admittedly ridiculous extremes to which some people must go to maintain a "healthy" weight, nor is there any analysis of "healthy weight" versus extreme dieting or over-eating. That is (to explicate a seriously run-on sentence), there is no discussion of the benefits of being overweight with a healthy life style versus being healthy or underweight with an unhealthy life style.

Still, it was interesting...particularly the point that 64% to 80% of BMI is genetically influenced.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health/skinny-genes-how-dna-shapes-weight-loss-success/article1873494/singlepage/#articlecontent

~~ John Lennon

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:29 pm 
orange is a state of mind

Really good article sally, thanks for the link.

I agree with what they're saying. It's daft to think that the whole calories in calories out works exactly the same for every person- the evidence says not! I realised that growing up. My mum constantly dieted and ate sensibly but she weighed at least as much (I can't compare well- different heights, male/female etc) as my beanpole dad who ate TONS and not fruit and veg either, he favoured red meat, chips, cakes, ice cream, fried fish suppers etc yet never gained. It must have been so frustrating for her underneath I suspect.
I tend to feel guilty when people are impressed by low weights as I'm only too well aware that the extreme weights I've been down to are as much down to my body as my ED. I take after my dad and could maintain such weights on far more calories than you might think. I think people forget that when they talk about "oh i was never really underweight" as if it's a sign they're less ill, when actually they may even have had exactly the same habits and calorie intake as someone who was, but their body just handled it differently.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:10 pm 
admin goddess from hell

Quote:
I think people forget that when they talk about "oh i was never really underweight" as if it's a sign they're less ill, when actually they may even have had exactly the same habits and calorie intake as someone who was, but their body just handled it differently.

A really important point for all the members here who feel that they were never "sick enough" or sick for long enough. I'm not condoning underweight by any means, but certainly agreeing that an arbitrarily determined "healthy" weight could be very unhealthy for some.

~~ John Lennon

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:39 pm 
i love orange

I think it's strange, that in the years we seem most aware of our weight, scientifically, genetically, etc we (society) seems also, to be more conflicted.

When I was in a treatment center, I found it comforting that we were all different sizes. Most of us looked 'average' and most of us had the thought that we weren't 'thin' enough to be ill.
There really is no comparison.
Even personally, I have a sister who was always the thin one, and her face fell when her pants were too tight for me- here I was sick and she was a figure of health - and we're the same height, same parents... there's just no comparison... and science is trying to put us on an equal scale.
...then again... what's the point? What the hell is a BMI good for? except to put you on an average scale. Not a 'normal' scale- just an average.

whoops, I ranted.

Offline Profile