Last visit was: It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Company U.K Complaint
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:11 am 
orange you prolific

If anyone has picked up this months copy of Company, the u.k edition, they will see a three page article on Calorie Counters. I won't type up the whole thing, but this particular section "Diary of a Calorista" upset me quite abit, it has left me confused and if anything..quite triggered. After this going around in my head all night, the first thing i did this morning was e-mail in a complaint. I may be looking at this the total wrong way - but i feel my view is just as important as any other readers and should be taken seriously.

Trigger Warning : Calories mentioned

Clare Panter , 23, is an account executive from London. She kept a food diary on an average Saturday.
9am: Skip breakfast. Settle for a peppermint tea instead and promise myself a cereal bar at 11am.

10am: Keep thinking about food and having fantasies about Marmite on white bread. If only!

11am: Eat cereal bar (calories 180). Should keep me going until 1pm lunch with friends.

1pm: Starter size Caesar salad and olives on the side for a treat, plus mineral water. The virtue i feel dosn't stop jealousy pangs when my friends' pizzas arrive. I've only had about 600 calories so far today so i might be able to treat myself to a nice dinner tonight.

3pm: Feeling peckish again, so grab a packet of crisps as a reward for my healthy lunch. Regret it straight away though, what a waste of 200 calories!

4.30pm: Cup of green tea to suppress my appetite until dinner.

7pm: Dinner with my man. Hate to look like a scoffer so once we decide on Thai take away, I play safe with Tom Yum soup. Keep checking if my tummy looks flat and resist prawn crackers. Not a bad day at 1,400 calories but i'll have to keep it up tomorrow.

10pm: Starving but won't give in. Will treat myself to a nice breakfast instead.

After reading this article i was left feeling confused, upset and well..jealous. I'm going to be honest, i thought..if she can do a day on this amount..why the hell can't i?! It's left me feeling like i'm too close to this 'normal amount' she is having. So, first thing i did this morning, after thinking about this damn article all...freaking..night, was e-mail a complaint. Well, not so much a complaint..just my views.

Diary of a Calorista - Promoting Anorexia?‏

Sent: 16 January 2011 08:46:03
To: company.mail@natmags.co.uk
I felt inclined to pick up the magazine when seeing "Stop the food math" on the front cover, thinking this article would be something of a help towards girls trapped in this calorie counting generation. However, after reading the Diary of a Calorista article of Clare Panter I am both upset and confused. At the moment I am battling an eating disorder and reading this feels like a promotion for anorexia. There is no warning on this page against the dangers of calorie counting and especially the low calorie intake Clare is having. Anything below 1,500 calories for an adult female is dangerous, this will send a body into starvation mode and she will not be able to live a full healthy life on this. The thoughts she is expressing in this diary are those of an anorexic, the constantly thinking of food, cravings and most importantly the restriction. Clare states she swaps breakfast for a drink, only has a cereal bar to "keep herself going", obsessivly checking her tummy to make sure it looks "flat" and again restricting in the evening, not eating although she is hungry. One thing that really upset me in this article was the statement "Not a bad day at 1,400 calories but i'll have to keep it up tomorrow". Clare seems very pleased that although she is hungry, she has been able to restrict to such an amount.There is a Guideline Daily Amount set in place by the government for a reason, young girls reading this article could be very triggered into believing these kinds of thoughts are natural, not only to mention the confusion this will give to the large population of anorexics. I only hope you read this e-mail and think about the real impact of the article. Thank you.

Lucy Grist

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:27 am 
orange addict

It's great that you were able to type up your concerns and send them in rather than turning to eating disordered behaviours because you were feeling "jealous". To me, this also seems too much. Like you stated, the woman of the article does come across as sounding like that of an individual with an eating disorder and anorexic thoughts.

Regardless of the intention of the article, I think it would have been better suited for them to approach this from a different angle. It worries me that someone will read that and think "If she can do it, so can I, with even less."

Thanks for posting this.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:27 am 
healthy is sexy

Good on you! That article was horrifying and really unneccesary (belugh can't spell). I swear some magazines print certain articles just to make people feel bad!
Well done for making a complaint, because if more people had your passion and inititive, then stupid articles like this would be gone!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:41 am 
orange you prolific

Thank you!!! I was abit worried i was going a tad over the top...but really, it needs to be done :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:05 am 
i bite back hardcore

I don't think its going over the top at all. Good for you for writing your thoughts to the company, they need to know how their articles affect people. I don't really know why the comany published that article. I used to use articles like that one to convince myself I really didn't have a problem. Makes me sad that articles could influence other people like that too.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:18 pm 
orange wonder

I think writing a complaint like that was totally justified. People still continue to publish crap like this in all kinds of magazines and yet so many people don't have the courage to speak up or they merely pass it off as normal behavior (which, sadly, calorie counting like that seems to have become socially acceptable these days). Kudos!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 4:10 pm 
orange you prolific

Thanks guys :) To be honest, the jealousy completely over took me at first. Well..i was kinda up all night thinking about it =/ but this morning i just though why should i have to live my life by a damn magazine article? Hopefully i'll get a responce..if not i'll just keep sending it ;)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:45 pm 
orange goddess

Brilliant, I hope they get many similar letters.
You rock. :x

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:03 pm 
power lies within

So glad you sent it. Beautifully written, smart, very good letter. I hope they print it.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:45 am 
orange is a state of mind

I thought the diary seemed more or less just like a normal person on a diet. Not really doing it "properly" (ie in the most healthy way) but fairly average and the calories seemed ok if it was someone trying to lose weight. Even medical diets sometimes go down to a low of 1200.
It's quite honest and realistic for a young woman these days, even if we may not like that fact. In that sense I don't see anything wrong with it, as they're trying to give a picture of reality with the story. That's it's point.
Provided the article is followed by an analysis and relevant information on how to eat healthily, whilst attempting to lose weight or otherwise, then I don't think it's that harmful.
I think a lot of people will relate to it, and done in the right way (with the following parts mentioned) it could make them think about what needs to change in regards to their eating habits.
People need to relate to these things. posting perfect diets won't do that. They'd likely not even read it all. By giving them something they can relate to, it draws them in and opens up the opportunity to educate and persuade them to alter their habits.

That's just me though, and I don't mean it as a criticism of those of you who disagree with it.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:04 am 
orange you prolific

Of course not, i appreciate all feedback, good or bad :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 7:53 am 
stranger in an orange land

Hi there,

I just read your complaint and thought I would express my opinion,

The food diary was included was part of an article that expressed a concern over women suffering from food guilt. The article contains information on losing weight sensibly as well as advice on forgetting the calories and contains an analysis and relevant information on how to eat healthily, whilst attempting to lose weight or otherwise.

I think the article reflects upon a thinking process that I know affects me and my girlfriends. I feel all the same pressures and I'm glad they were honest about it. From discussions with the majority of women in my life the constantly thinking of food, cravings and most importantly the restriction of calories is a common, yet unfortunate, occurrence. Maybe girls would relate to the story but see that there were better ways of losing weight. The article does not promote that way of eating and in fact recommends the opposite.

I realise from your words how this came across and I'm sure it was not intentional. I found the article interesting and informative.
1400 calories is not too bad and this was just an 'average Saturday' and does not reflect eating behaviour on other days.

Hope you are not too upset :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:41 am 
Well I for one am glad you complained. Even if the magazine don't read it, you've done what you can and you used your voice. The article seems to be massively triggering.

Yes, magazines should not be writing articles like this. But they do it because it sells, which is the sad fact. They take the whole obession with dieting and eating disorders issue and write articles saying "look how bad it is" while simultaneously making the issue worse and condining bad body image and poor diet.

People with bad body image and poor diets are much more likely to buy magazines which say on the front cover things along the lines of "how to become skinny and beautiful". Thing is, once they become skinny and beautiful (or rather, just learn to accept their bodies) they no longer need to buy the magazines. So the magazine has write these articles supposedly helping people, while at the same time making them worse. The people who write these magazines don't give a damn about the women reading them, they just want more money.

Anyway, rant over. If there's anything I've learned through recovery, it's not to buy magazines aimed at women. At all, ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 8:45 am 
orange is a state of mind

That reply by the person from the magazine has changed completely. It said something entirely different when I read it a little while ago. In fact, tbh it seemed a genuine response, she said she was the person who kept the diary too, whereas now it appears a standard editors apology to maintain their reputation whilst advertising the product in question. :-?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:21 am 
Reply by the person from the magazine? It's not in this thread is it, or am I going mad??

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Moderator: post-mods Go to page 1, 2  Next