Last visit was: It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:47 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: book question?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:27 am 
galactic orange

has anyone here read love to eat hate to eat? it is a book about how to break bad eating habits and improve your relationship with food, and it covers eating disorders (obviously). it is written from a christian female perspective and i was just curious if anyone here has read it. a friend of mine is bringing it to me today, and i just wanted to see if anyone found it helpful.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:36 am 
orange you glad?

I've heard of this but not read it yet... I've got so many books on my list of reads! I've heard it's meant to be quite good. Let us know what you think!

:)

Eat food and live life.

Fight fear that keeps you from doing that.

Let go of thoughts that aren't worth your time.

~
http://recoveringinspirings.blogspot.com/

^Read me on Tuesdays :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:39 am 
power lies within

A good place to check for reviews is Amazon.com. Since I am nutty, I have gone ahead and gotten the link to the reviews for you, ha ha.

http://www.amazon.com/Love-Eat-Hate-Bre ... ewpoints=1

It seems like it might be aimed more at losing weight and controlling overeating though based on some of the comments.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:55 am 
galactic orange

Kaz wrote:
A good place to check for reviews is Amazon.com. Since I am nutty, I have gone ahead and gotten the link to the reviews for you, ha ha.

http://www.amazon.com/Love-Eat-Hate-Bre ... ewpoints=1

It seems like it might be aimed more at losing weight and controlling overeating though based on some of the comments.

thanks, m'dear!! :) ugh, i hope its not all about overeating and weight loss...thats def. not what i need right now!! we'll see i suppose!

the other books i want to read are The Monster Within, Gaining, Inside Out, and Regaining Your Self. anyone read those? i read their reviews and they sound pretty good.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:24 pm 
power lies within

If the reviews sound good and no one says it is mainly for weight loss or overeating and the like, I would go for those before the other one.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:43 pm 
orange is a state of mind

HelloHolly wrote:
the other books i want to read are The Monster Within, Gaining, Inside Out, and Regaining Your Self. anyone read those? i read their reviews and they sound pretty good.

I have read The Monster Within. I thought it was quite good. I didn't relate to all of it cause it is very bulimia focused but still was good to read.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:35 am 
power lies within

If I had to recommend a book for the "beginning" of recovery, I'd say It's Not About Food by Laurelee Roark and Carol Emery Normandi.

I thought it was great, and not triggering at all. I think a lot of books about relationships with food and mindful eating are targeted a bit more towards losing weight, but It's Not About Food was about both and neither.

The only bit I didn't like was the new edition's afterword had some comments/questions from readers and one was printed with a woman's weight and height, and I found that very triggering. Otherwise, the book doesn't mention numbers.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:50 am 
galactic orange

oooh, thanks for all the suggestions!! now i have a really long reading list!! lol. i started love to eat hate to eat yesterday, and it deals with all kinds of eating disorders, not just overeating and weight loss...so that is good. but my friend ALSO gave me another book called help, hope, and healing for eating disorders. this one is GREAT. at the end of each section there is a journaling section where there are exercises for you to do. these books are both from a very christian view point, which is very much what i need right now, so if you are not into that i wouldn't suggest them..ESPECIALLY the first one. i mean, it is LOADED with verses and scripture. i like it because my faith is very important to me and i lost a lot of it in th ED, and i have been wanting to reconnect with it, so i like it.

thanks for all the suggestions! keep 'em coming!! :banana:

Offline Profile