Last visit was: It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:45 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Gum is a snack
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:32 pm 
power lies within

really? five calories from chewing gum is considered a snack now?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:41 pm 
orange is a state of mind

I'm guessing it's part of the "new year, new diet" ads. Encouraging people to chew on virtually cal-free stuff to lose weight.
We always get masses of diet stuff this time of year, people slimming into party dresses, or starting off fresh in the new year.
You have to learn to tune it out really, as it'll likely not change in the near future. Too many people genuinely overweight.
It's not actually unhealthy in the right context. Not really.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:17 am 
exploring my potential!

OMG it's scary! The gum I chew has a new package and it is marked
"breakfast-lunch-dinner-snack" across the frount, as in have one after each to keep your teeth clean. But you know what I thought.... :?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:36 am 
orange addict

And the Christmas/New Years dieting ads start coming. Lame, but I somewhat expect it. I can see how it can be taken the wrong way, without a doubt. If I wasn't so far along in my recovery, chances are I'd be looking at this in a different way. Still irritates me though.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:34 pm 
galactic orange

You probably burn more calories in chewing the gum than there is in the gum anyway.

Boo diet ads. I shall not be a victim of you. EVER.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:52 pm 
exploring my potential!

This is just disgusting. My "snacks" used to be Tic-Tacs because I've never liked gum, but really...It's not something to encourage! Sadly, though, it is encouraged.

I'd forgotten about all the "New Year's diet campaigns" that are going to be starting soon. Damn. I bet that's definitely what this ad is connected to.

But I have to wonder...why can't there be anything positive and affirming coming at us from the media? Why is it all negative and from a "change this, change that" mindset?

Ok, I feel a rant brewing.

Not all who wander are lost.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:36 pm 

yellow_rose wrote:
This is just disgusting. My "snacks" used to be Tic-Tacs because I've never liked gum, but really...It's not something to encourage! Sadly, though, it is encouraged.

I'd forgotten about all the "New Year's diet campaigns" that are going to be starting soon. Damn. I bet that's definitely what this ad is connected to.

But I have to wonder...why can't there be anything positive and affirming coming at us from the media? Why is it all negative and from a "change this, change that" mindset?

I watched the NYE celebrations on tv last year and it was sponsored by Slimfast (or some other meal replacement diet). They had exclusive advertising so it was the ONLY ad from 9-12pm.

In my head, gum is an extension of the toothbrush. I can't chew gum as a snack because it makes me feel sick :?

I guess if the media were to promote acceptance and building the self-esteem ...they wouldn't be able to sell weight-loss products. :(

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:00 pm 
exploring my potential!

peacefullyKeira wrote:
yellow_rose wrote:

I guess if the media were to promote acceptance and building the self-esteem ...they wouldn't be able to sell weight-loss products. :(

Exactly. It all comes down to money and corporations...which is really sad.

Not all who wander are lost.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:42 am 
kismetjeska

EUGH

I used to get through a minimum of a pack a day when I was bad... for me, gum is not a snack, it is the abscence of a snack. It's what you eat when you won't eat.

(And yes, you burn more calories chewing it than it has. This is like calling Diet Coke or ice a snack. :-? )

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:42 am 

I used to go through 2-3 packs of big red a day if not more. I was bad. bad bad bad. I would shove multiple pieces in my mouth at once, chew for just a few mins and spit it out and repeat. It was a strange and embarrassing habit that i couldn't stop.

I've seen this gum ad for a while now. it bothers me but not to an extreme. I just ignore it i guess. i'm over my gum phase so it doesn't trigger me or upset me like it would have in the past.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:13 pm 
power lies within

I think what bothers me so much about it is that there were always tips on pro-ana sites to chew gum instead of eating. Now those aren't pro-ana tips anymore... those are just regular diet tips.

Is your stomach growling because you haven't eaten all day?
Trick it with gum!!! You'll be hungry again in 3 minutes when your stomach figures out you're being an asshole to it... have another piece of gum!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:33 pm 
galactic orange

peacefullyKeira wrote:

And this is why all my blatantly skinny friends are insecure about their weights and when they complain I get triggered.

Ugh. I have to avoid the media as much as possible otherwise I'm all insecure and jeez it's awful.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:38 pm 
getting under the peel

This is the gum I found the meal tags on. It was kind of disturbing and surprising to find it outside of an ED context.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:19 am 
exploring my potential!

^ Yeah thats the one I was talking about!
It's meant to be chewed after meals to decrease the risk of tooth decay etc, but the ED mind immediately goes to "That is breakfast, lunch and dinner in a tiny lunchbox."

mmmmmmm.... :(

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:45 pm 
orange wonder

quirksandkooks wrote:

This is the gum I found the meal tags on. It was kind of disturbing and surprising to find it outside of an ED context.

Boooooooo! :evil:

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Moderator: post-mods Go to page 1, 2  Next