Last visit was: It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:43 am


All times are UTC - 4 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Barbie
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:30 pm 
power lies within
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:00 pm
Posts: 6147
This isn't advertising, but it certainly reflects on the media.

Image

_________________
bubbles to the chandelier


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:16 am 
orange is a state of mind
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:49 pm
Posts: 2835
Location: UK
She was always skinny. I think she looks better, actually has a human shape. Before it was totally weird- huge ribcage, no bum, all straight lines.
It wouldn't hurt to make her a bit bigger at the same time, but I suspect that would bring up all sorts of excuses about clothes not fitting newer dolls etc
She'll probably always have a big head for the hair factor.
Nobody really thinks Barbie is an example of what you should look like.

_________________
"Action is the antidote to despair." - Joan Baez


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:21 am 
orange is a state of mind
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:37 am
Posts: 2238
Location: Brisbane, Australia
MovingOn wrote:
Nobody really thinks Barbie is an example of what you should look like.


Barbie = chew toy for me... um I had dummy weaning issues
All I knew was she had rubber feet and a wire in the middle that tingled my tongue when I bit on it

_________________
Did you ever wonder if the person in the puddle is real, and you're just a reflection of him? Calvin and Hobbes
http://squirrelling4life.tumblr.com/
http://365recoverydays.blogspot.com/


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:28 pm 
orange wonder
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:49 am
Posts: 4220
Location: The Rocky Mountains
Psh, I had all the Sailor Moon dolls growing up. Although they essentially looked like the 90's Barbie, if you looked closer at the torso, they had a slightly more feminine shape meaning that the clothes looked way better on them. Also, they were slightly more proportionate to a real woman because the feet were larger (so it was kinda frustrating when Sailor Mercury couldn't fit into Barbie's pink go-go boots).

I also had two of the American Girl dolls and their torsos were plush so when you put the clothes on them, their bodies looked like that of a real little girl. That was one of the many, many reasons why my mom prefered me playing with those over Barbies.

By the way, Delenda, at the time you had 666 posts. Run for your lives! Just kidding.

_________________
Don't Diet, Live It!


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:52 pm 
power lies within
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:00 pm
Posts: 6147
MartyCaseyFan wrote:
By the way, Delenda, at the time you had 666 posts. Run for your lives! Just kidding.


I have no blood, just concentrated evil, in my veins.

_________________
bubbles to the chandelier


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:58 pm 
power lies within
User avatar

Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:00 pm
Posts: 6147
MovingOn wrote:
She was always skinny. I think she looks better, actually has a human shape. Before it was totally weird- huge ribcage, no bum, all straight lines.

Nobody really thinks Barbie is an example of what you should look like.


I thought about that; maybe this isn't a commentary on media image at all, but merely an example of how far manufacturing technology has come in the last few years.

i mean, everything has become thinner and more streamlined. more aesthetically pleasing.

Image
Image

I think the point isn't to aspire to be Barbie, but that Barbie is generally the first contact young girls have with desiring to be something that has an unattainable body image.

_________________
bubbles to the chandelier


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:47 am 
I was never a barbie fan, i love playmobils, all the detail in the houses, loved it!

sorry that was off topic :/


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:00 am 
galactic orange
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:25 am
Posts: 871
Location: Halle (Germany)
delenda wrote:

i mean, everything has become thinner and more streamlined. more aesthetically pleasing.

Image
:-)

_________________
What happens when a doctor eats an apple?


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:03 am 
orange you prolific
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:20 am
Posts: 3564
Location: Melbourne, Australia
^ That's fabulous. I cannot stop laughing now. Ahahaha.

_________________
I'm living my life because I am over simply existing!


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:57 pm 
orange goddess
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:50 pm
Posts: 1697
Location: wonderland with all the animals and flowers
I think everything is getting smaller it's not just barbie, or television or underwear. .It's newspapers too..

I think the media is trying to put the world small compact around our necks.. in the u.s. michelle obama calls her children fat overweight.. and everyone has to look a certain way to please the government of where they live.. Screw the Government. screw media.. screw the toymakers.. Barbie is not our model citizen..

_________________
Recovery is about progress not perfection
I'm thankful for a heart that beats air in my lungs to breathe legs to walk love in my heart
1 2 3 my ED is after me 4 5 6, My ED is playing tricks on me 7 8 9 I've made a good decision my ED has been defeated..


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:05 pm 
orange you prolific
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:19 pm
Posts: 3889
Location: Somerset, United Kingdom
This is quite interesting, I was reading a Boots Gift Guide just before christmas..turned the page and there was a barbie, her waist was incredibly tiny..i was shocked, quite appauled to be honest! Then again, the media dosn't help! Take Cheryl Cole for instance, i like her and everything but this caught my eye the other day, she's moving to L.A and has decided to lose 11lbs because "she's too fat for them", i know alot of young girls see her as a role model - she's already very slim, you know what'll happen now..if cheryl cole can want to do it, so can any teenage girl, urgh :(

_________________
"And what's worst, it's all because we fail to recognize our own beauty, because we are deluded into thinking we are inferior. But that's not true. We're different, is all." -faustinchen


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:19 pm 
orange wonder
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:49 am
Posts: 4220
Location: The Rocky Mountains
remixgurl88 wrote:
I think everything is getting smaller it's not just barbie, or television or underwear. .It's newspapers too..

I think the media is trying to put the world small compact around our necks.. in the u.s. michelle obama calls her children fat overweight.. and everyone has to look a certain way to please the government of where they live.. Screw the Government. screw media.. screw the toymakers.. Barbie is not our model citizen..


God, honestly,(not to get politics involved in this) as much as I like Michelle Obama and what she stands for, what she's doing to her children is irksome on so many levels.

_________________
Don't Diet, Live It!


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:31 pm 
orange you prolific
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:19 pm
Posts: 3889
Location: Somerset, United Kingdom
Yeah..it's pretty disgusting isnt it, considering she's the first lady aswell! It's like..i've seen Desperate Housewives a few times, one episode in particular when the mother was trying to get her daughter to lose weight (because she the mother was being taunted) by driving her car and getting her girl to chase it..>.<

_________________
"And what's worst, it's all because we fail to recognize our own beauty, because we are deluded into thinking we are inferior. But that's not true. We're different, is all." -faustinchen


Top
Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Moderator: post-mods

All times are UTC - 4 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Theme created StylerBB.net & kodeki