Last visit was: It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:43 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Barbie
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:30 pm 
power lies within

This isn't advertising, but it certainly reflects on the media.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:16 am 
orange is a state of mind

She was always skinny. I think she looks better, actually has a human shape. Before it was totally weird- huge ribcage, no bum, all straight lines.
It wouldn't hurt to make her a bit bigger at the same time, but I suspect that would bring up all sorts of excuses about clothes not fitting newer dolls etc
She'll probably always have a big head for the hair factor.
Nobody really thinks Barbie is an example of what you should look like.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:21 am 
orange is a state of mind

MovingOn wrote:

Barbie = chew toy for me... um I had dummy weaning issues
All I knew was she had rubber feet and a wire in the middle that tingled my tongue when I bit on it

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:28 pm 
orange wonder

Psh, I had all the Sailor Moon dolls growing up. Although they essentially looked like the 90's Barbie, if you looked closer at the torso, they had a slightly more feminine shape meaning that the clothes looked way better on them. Also, they were slightly more proportionate to a real woman because the feet were larger (so it was kinda frustrating when Sailor Mercury couldn't fit into Barbie's pink go-go boots).

I also had two of the American Girl dolls and their torsos were plush so when you put the clothes on them, their bodies looked like that of a real little girl. That was one of the many, many reasons why my mom prefered me playing with those over Barbies.

By the way, Delenda, at the time you had 666 posts. Run for your lives! Just kidding.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:52 pm 
power lies within

MartyCaseyFan wrote:
By the way, Delenda, at the time you had 666 posts. Run for your lives! Just kidding.

I have no blood, just concentrated evil, in my veins.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:58 pm 
power lies within

MovingOn wrote:
She was always skinny. I think she looks better, actually has a human shape. Before it was totally weird- huge ribcage, no bum, all straight lines.

I thought about that; maybe this isn't a commentary on media image at all, but merely an example of how far manufacturing technology has come in the last few years.

i mean, everything has become thinner and more streamlined. more aesthetically pleasing.

I think the point isn't to aspire to be Barbie, but that Barbie is generally the first contact young girls have with desiring to be something that has an unattainable body image.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:47 am 
I was never a barbie fan, i love playmobils, all the detail in the houses, loved it!

sorry that was off topic :/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:00 am 
galactic orange

delenda wrote:

i mean, everything has become thinner and more streamlined. more aesthetically pleasing.

:-)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:03 am 
orange you prolific

^ That's fabulous. I cannot stop laughing now. Ahahaha.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:57 pm 
orange goddess

I think everything is getting smaller it's not just barbie, or television or underwear. .It's newspapers too..

I think the media is trying to put the world small compact around our necks.. in the u.s. michelle obama calls her children fat overweight.. and everyone has to look a certain way to please the government of where they live.. Screw the Government. screw media.. screw the toymakers.. Barbie is not our model citizen..

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:05 pm 
orange you prolific

This is quite interesting, I was reading a Boots Gift Guide just before christmas..turned the page and there was a barbie, her waist was incredibly tiny..i was shocked, quite appauled to be honest! Then again, the media dosn't help! Take Cheryl Cole for instance, i like her and everything but this caught my eye the other day, she's moving to L.A and has decided to lose 11lbs because "she's too fat for them", i know alot of young girls see her as a role model - she's already very slim, you know what'll happen now..if cheryl cole can want to do it, so can any teenage girl, urgh :(

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:19 pm 
orange wonder

remixgurl88 wrote:
I think everything is getting smaller it's not just barbie, or television or underwear. .It's newspapers too..

I think the media is trying to put the world small compact around our necks.. in the u.s. michelle obama calls her children fat overweight.. and everyone has to look a certain way to please the government of where they live.. Screw the Government. screw media.. screw the toymakers.. Barbie is not our model citizen..

God, honestly,(not to get politics involved in this) as much as I like Michelle Obama and what she stands for, what she's doing to her children is irksome on so many levels.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:31 pm 
orange you prolific

Yeah..it's pretty disgusting isnt it, considering she's the first lady aswell! It's like..i've seen Desperate Housewives a few times, one episode in particular when the mother was trying to get her daughter to lose weight (because she the mother was being taunted) by driving her car and getting her girl to chase it..>.<

Offline Profile