Last visit was: It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Apparently fat people kissing is wrong.
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:33 pm 
I have a friend who is overweight due to an eating disorder. She just sent me this link on facebook, and is obviously really upset by it.

http://www.marieclaire.com/sex-love/dating-blog/overweight-couples-on-television

Maura Kelly, a writer for Marie Claire has written an article about how she finds fat people repulsive. She's writing about a TV show (which I don't think we get in the UK, I've never heard of it) about two people who find love at a group for people who have trouble with overeating. Some choice quotes from the article include:

Quote:
Yes, anorexia is sick, but at least some slim models are simply naturally skinny. No one who is as fat as Mike and Molly can be healthy

Which gets translated in my head as: "It's better to be anorexic than it is to be overweight"

Quote:
So anyway, yes, I think I'd be grossed out if I had to watch two characters with rolls and rolls of fat kissing each other ... because I'd be grossed out if I had to watch them doing anything. To be brutally honest, even in real life, I find it aesthetically displeasing to watch a very, very fat person simply walk across a room

No words for that one.

Quote:
But ... I think obesity is something that most people have a ton of control over. It's something they can change, if only they put their minds to it.

Which to me, sounds an awful lot like telling an anorexic to "just go and eat a burger".

Anyway, at the end she apologised and blamed her insensitivity on having had anorexia.

Thing is, I know obesity is a problem, particularly in America. I know that many people don't find fat people aesthetically appealing. I know that there are overweight people out there simply because they are lazy and don't care. They are just facts. But I think to go out and say that people who are overweight don't deserve to kiss, don't deserve to even be seen?? Is not really a very nice thing to say. And I feel so sorry for my friend, who already has to put up with crap because of her size, had to read this. When the reason she's big is because she suffers like I did when I was too thin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:38 pm 
orange is hot

wow what a snobby ignorant bitch.
(im not always that mean) :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:55 pm 
orange goddess

Did you see the "update" that she added to the end of the post? Pfft! I think she might have missed the whole idea of what that show was intended for. (We don't get it here in NZ, either.)

I think all of these offensive Marie Claire articles are just to bring attention to their magazine and clearly it's working. They wrote an article not so long ago that was accusing food bloggers of having eating disorders and unhealthy obsessions with food. I think the people at Marie Claire have a lot of explaining to do in terms of why they are starting write offensive articles like this.

http://haveasliceofkatypie.wordpress.com

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:02 pm 
Poppet wrote:
Did you see the "update" that she added to the end of the post? Pfft! I think she might have missed the whole idea of what that show was intended for. (We don't get it here in NZ, either.)

Exactly!! From what I gathered, the show is about people who are seeking help for their food addiction? So what, they go out and get help and work through it but they're not allowed to find love and happiness until they are thin??

My friend said she's calling for a Marie Claire boycott. I told her I boycotted these sorts of magazines a LONG time ago :) You're right, I think they write this sort of stuff to get attention. It's childish.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:06 pm 
orange goddess

I think I know a lot of people who are partaking in this Marie Claire boycott. Like you, I stopped reading these magazines aaaaaaaaages ago because quite frankly, I find it hard to read them due to them being full of crap that I just don't care about haha. And this article further pushes that reason.

http://haveasliceofkatypie.wordpress.com

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:25 pm 
power lies within

It's insensitive, and it's merely a reflection of the opinions of the author. Her "article" in MarieClaire is a glorified blog.

If these offended viewers (citation needed) are uncomfortable watching intimacy between the characters on tv, then just don't watch the show!

If I were your friend, I wouldn't be so concerned about this woman's opinion, and instead focus on the INCREDIBLE amount of backlash she received from all over the country. Thousands and thousands of people are slamming her on talk shows and news networks. Look at this link Maura Kelly Attention. That's not even a search in Google for the name of the author who wrote these things, it's a search from the name of television show.

She has created controversy, and many people may want to boycott her. But I wonder how many hits her blog has?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:34 pm 
orange wonder

ignorethevoice wrote:
wow what a snobby ignorant bitch.
(im not always that mean) :)

Nah, you think that's mean? Here was my initial thought:

People who are that stupid should be drug out into the street and shot. Then again, I wouldn't want to be responsible for lowering the population of the planet due to the mass genocide of morons floating around this place.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:36 pm 
healthy is sexy

The show itself is actually one big, long, horrible fat joke, really. My mom watches it <<

Eugh. The whole article is just. . . . ugh. I'm disgusted by it. I mean, really. Especially in a magazine like that which makes such a big deal of its little "fat girl fashion" type column-- "oh hey we're accepting of people who wear double digit sizes!!! aren't we AWESOME?!!!" -- pffft.

Viewpoints like this aren't uncommon. But voicing them in this fashion? Definitely inappropriate.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:40 pm 
orange goddess

what a bitch! personally this offends me because I'm overweight.. Fat people are not disgusting and do deserve to live and love. Some people who are obese like myself have tried every diet in the book and tried eating all natural foods, tried excessive exercize like my mom does and she can't lose the weight... she's trying so hard.. Obesity may be a problem in America. But I'm so sick of people throwing up in our faces.. If Obesity is an epidemic why don't they do something..

Poor people are probably the most obese people. It's not because they a freakin lazy it has to do with foods they eat. I grew up where my mom made 3,000 a year for rent, food, and clothing for two kids and herself. If you don't eat healthy growing up you're bound to put on weight. If you don't healthy as an adult it's hard to lose the weight.

People aren't just lazy.. the obese population does a lot of things most people don't dare to do.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:57 pm 
Glad you guys all agree she's a bitch! And yeah... perhaps I should have just copied and pasted the article rather than linking to her actual page. More hits for her. Stupid cow.

Aaaaaand just for the record, before anyone picks up on it: When I said: "I know that there are overweight people out there simply because they are lazy and don't care." I didn't mean all overweight people. I meant just some of them. Mostly I think that people who are overweight, are the same as people who are underweight. They are people who use food to combat emotions and problems. But of course, there are always those exceptions, those ones who give overweight people a bad reputation.

remixgurl88 wrote:
Poor people are probably the most obese people.

I've always found it interesting how 100 years ago, the poor were starving, and the rich were more likely to be overweight. And now it's the other way around! The cost of food is screwed up. If you want to eat healthily on a really really tight budget, then you've got to do like Sharon and grow your own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:06 pm 
orange goddess

Alexandra wrote:

I've always found it interesting how 100 years ago, the poor were starving, and the rich were more likely to be overweight. And now it's the other way around! The cost of food is screwed up. If you want to eat healthily on a really really tight budget, then you've got to do like Sharon and grow your own.

I live in the city there's no where for me to grow vegetables.. they can't grow from concrete. l.ol

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:19 pm 
remixgurl88 wrote:
I live in the city there's no where for me to grow vegetables.. they can't grow from concrete. l.ol

See that's what I thought, that you needed a nice big garden to grow veg. But Sharon lives in a flat and does it all in window boxes and the like! It's amazing. Shaaaaarooooon where are you?? :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:27 pm 
orange is a state of mind

Alexandra wrote:
remixgurl88 wrote:

See that's what I thought, that you needed a nice big garden to grow veg. But Sharon lives in a flat and does it all in window boxes and the like! It's amazing. Shaaaaarooooon where are you?? :-)

Seconding this! There are currently flower pots in our living room with spinach and radishes, and there are so many more possibilities.

Back on topic: So many magazines have come out with these plus-sized/anti-sizeist campaigns lately. Most of them seem to be more about marketing than an actual stand against the accepted standard skinny ideal, and it's mostly just sticking a few "plus-sized" models in so that they stick out like sore thumbs (from what I've seen). It's like they are trying to draw attention to the fact that they have normal overweight people, not just underweight "anorexic looking" models entirely as a gimmick.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:38 pm 
power lies within

Kate the great wrote:

Back on topic: So many magazines have come out with these plus-sized/anti-sizeist campaigns lately. Most of them seem to be more about marketing than an actual stand against the accepted standard skinny ideal, and it's mostly just sticking a few "plus-sized" models in so that they stick out like sore thumbs (from what I've seen). It's like they are trying to draw attention to the fact that they have normal overweight people, not just underweight "anorexic looking" models entirely as a gimmick.

Well, the purpose of advertising is to sell things.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:09 pm 
orange is a state of mind

Alexandra wrote:
remixgurl88 wrote:

At uni they sell foil bags that you grow veg in the bag :) I cannot remember what they are called but they are awesome

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Moderator: post-mods Go to page 1, 2  Next