Last visit was: It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:27 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: As if we needed it-- yet another reason to doubt what we see
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:47 am 
healthy is sexy

Copypasta, because I know I used to get triggered by skinny computer people, which are shown on the article.

Quote:
'MovieReshape' Can Make Actors Look Even Better Onscreen

by Amar Toor on October 8, 2010 at 10:00 AM

Hollywood actors may no longer need to worry about getting in shape for their next big screen roles, thanks to a new image-manipulation program that can magically chisel their physiques in post-production.

The software, called MovieReshape, was developed by Christian Theobalt, of the Max Planck Institute for Informatics. After generating 3-D scans of 120 men and women of various body shapes and sizes, Theobalt and his team merged the distinct scans into one model that can be manually adjusted and inserted within existing video footage. Programmers can then use existing software to track an actor's silhouette throughout a sequence of frames, and map the silhouette onto the malleable 3-D model. Editors can use the software to simultaneously adjust an actor's height, weight and muscle tone, without having to make the painstaking modifications one frame at a time. (See a video demo here.)

At this point, the software can only be used in scenes with a clear, unobstructed background, which may discourage some cinematographers from adopting it in major motion pictures. As New Scientist points out, though, it may offer a convenient alternative for advertisers looking to put together a quick commercial with svelte, demigod actors. And, if MovieReshape ever makes its way to the consumer market, you could even wipe away those videotaped memories of your awkward, adolescent 'fat years.'

I can understand it for supernatural characters with odd bodies, I suppose, but really? Do things really have to get more artificial and "enhanced" then they already are?

Original article is here:
http://www.switched.com/2010/10/08/movi ... nk1|176358

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:55 am 
I think they're already doing it....

The link might be triggering as I think as everyone knows Keira Knightly is very flat chested and thin and doesn't really look like how they make her up to look
Keira Knightly in Robin Hood before and after

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:52 pm 
healthy is sexy

They've definitely been doing it to some extent for some time, but from what I've seen, this particular program is capable of doing even more, and more easily.

Offline Profile