Last visit was: It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:16 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: obesity on the rise by 2020..
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:56 pm 
orange goddess

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/09/23 ... lth-costs/

Quote:
PARIS – PARIS (AP) — Citizens of the world's richest countries are getting fatter and fatter and the United States is leading the charge, an organization of leading economies said Thursday in its first ever obesity forecast.

Three out of four Americans will be overweight or obese by 2020, and disease rates and health care spending will balloon, unless governments
, individuals and industry cooperate on a comprehensive strategy to combat the epidemic, the study by the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development said.

I think this is crazy coming from Paris. Thinking that they can predict obesity by the year 2020.. I think that people are getting wiser about the foods they eat.. so I think this story is just crazy.. America is the richest county but why pick on us as the obese population. They don't even offer hope.. They think obesity is an epidemic worse than the flu or something.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:55 pm 
orange is hot

Well, statistically speaking, America does have the highest percentage of obese and overweight individuals. As for the prediction, it's also based on statistics, and the rate of growth over the past few decades.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:16 pm 
feeling out the orange

I think it's a real shame that so much emphasis can be put in the media about obesity, yet no one talks about the rising rates of eating disorders, or anything like that. It is kind of a 'taboo' subject.
Yes, obesity rates are going up, which is a terrible, terrible thing, what about giving some more support to eating disorders as well!
When I was at my very worst, I was 13 and the only place that would accept me in the whole of South Australia was the childrens ward at a hospital. They had no experience with this type of thing, therefore I have never gotten the proper treatment I needed. I want to write to parliament!!!!
Sorry, went a bit off topic there! :ooook:

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:22 pm 
getting under the peel

I just do not believe their "predictions." Fear mongers.
And what they consider obese is ridiculous! In the late 90s they moved changed the BMI system to make millions of more people be included in the overweight & obese categories. It's all about making $$$$$$$$

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 2:05 pm 
orange is hot

messy_closet wrote:
I just do not believe their "predictions." Fear mongers.

Why not? What mathematical or scientific evidence do you have to the contrary?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:00 pm 
in my mind, the evidence to the contrary would be in how they define obese and overweight. if they go by BMI, which most studies do, then they are using a highly debated system of measurement, so people who are at a healthy weight for their body may be in the category of 'overweight' unnecessarily. It is also an economic study. after taking several economics courses at university, and comparing them to the interdisciplinary courses in which economics is just one of many factors to consider, i tend to regard a lot of economic-based studies as only part of the picture. economics has a way of oversimplifying a lot of things in order to get their results, which adds to inaccuracy.

just my two cents. =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:23 pm 
orange is hot

That's true, but if they're using constant measurements (there were A number of people of X weight in 1984, B number of people of X weight in 1994, C number of people of X weight in 2004), they would still be seeing a valid trend.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:39 pm 
orange is a state of mind

If this whole topic is of interest to you, I HIGHLY recommend the book "Fat Politics" by J. Eric Oliver.
It points out the inconsistencies in research and the statistical malfunctioning of a lot of the studies on obesity and what are considered associated diseases.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:46 pm 
healthy is sexy

i just saw this, and i didnt want to make a whole other thread, but this seemed slightly relevant here. my apologies if its not.

"Being fat is now illegal in japan."
*May trigger* I'm not sure --- so its worth the precaution.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1hqHo6lyUU

second trigger warning ** don't read the video comments. :-?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 3:52 pm 
Omfg I cannot believe how utterly insane and wrong that is about Japan... just wtf? They've gone utterly insane...
I feel sorry for the companies involved tbh as I can't see what choice they have... $19 billion dollar fines? Just wtf?
:soapbox:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:34 pm 
orange is hot

Honestly, I'm not surprised about Japan. Japanese society is completely insane in general, and this really isn't that far divorced from all the rest of the craziness.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:04 am 
orange addict

That's pretty terrifying. It kind of makes me nauseous to imagine having to deal with that.

Offline Profile