Last visit was: It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:00 am


All times are UTC - 4 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:18 pm 
orange goddess

Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 4:28 am
Posts: 1651
Location: Wellington, New Zealand.
Don't feel bad. I had the same reaction. I think we all need to be careful about the context in which we say things, factual or not.

_________________
http://www.lifeisafeministissue.blogspot.com
http://www.catrat07.blogspot.com - book reviews


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:25 pm 
lol, i really meant carbs in general. Not just to eat heaps of refined sugar to feed your brain. I would consider a tonne of lollies an 'extra', not my carbs. I meant more like wholegrain bread, pasta, rice, cous cous, oats etc. rather than getting all your cabr portions from processed flour, sugar etc. Besides tasting crap....you'd get no fibre from them.....and i do love my fibre....

i don't think it's feasible to get all carbs from veges and fruit, especially in ED recovery trying to get back to normal eating!

Anyway, just trying to share what I learnt and how happy I was that what I am doing is healthy.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:25 pm 
this was one of the first things I learned in therapy! lol I love carbs too! :) :clap:


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:30 pm 
orange goddess
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:57 am
Posts: 1802
Location: New Zealand
Whilst I do believe what Ashley said to be true fact, there is a time and a place for that sort of discussion and I don't believe that that was what this thread was intended for. But interesting stuff though!

_________________
:heart: Katy

http://haveasliceofkatypie.wordpress.com


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:33 pm 
orange is a state of mind

Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:42 pm
Posts: 2473
Um, I guess I'm a bit confused by what Ashley posted too because every dietician I've ever seen (and I've seen a few :ooook:) have told me exactly what Kate's did. I actually went through a "carbs are the devil" stage before I got admitted to ed ip for the first time a couple years ago - I would only eat carbs from fruit and vege sources and man did it mess with my body and my brain. I think it literally sent me crazy :-?

I guess a diet full of high GI carbs isn't going to be ideal, but low GI whole-grains are meant to be pretty awesome for your body...and they taste pretty good too :)


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:11 am 
i love orange

Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 8:40 am
Posts: 50
Also... complex carbs = fibre = good poops :P hehe.

TMI??? Meh. Its all good :)


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:31 am 
orange goddess
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:57 am
Posts: 1802
Location: New Zealand
jesslee53 wrote:
Also... complex carbs = fibre = good poops :P hehe.

TMI??? Meh. Its all good :)

Oh no just the right amount of information :D

And you're right! Fibre keeps us regular, folks!

_________________
:heart: Katy

http://haveasliceofkatypie.wordpress.com


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:39 am 
orange like clockwork
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:46 am
Posts: 266
Location: Australia
Poppet wrote:
jesslee53 wrote:
Also... complex carbs = fibre = good poops :P hehe.

TMI??? Meh. Its all good :)

Oh no just the right amount of information :D

And you're right! Fibre keeps us regular, folks!


Hahaha, my dietician said that she wanted to see what all this 'low carb' craze was about, and so she halved her carbs (I'm talking bread, pasta, rice, cereal) for a week and she was like ' :-? i couldn't poo!'
:lol:

Quote:
Quote:
calypso wrote:
In treatment my Pdoc gave me a handout called 'Carbs are not evil.' I should find it and put it up here Smile



Would you say the same to a diabetic? It depends on the context, which varies from person to person. A person with rampant blood sugar levels probably shouldn't go carb crazy if they don't want to develop diabetes.


I didn't specify about what sort of carbs. I'm talking complex carbs: wholegrain bread, pasta, cereals, rice. I'm not really suggesting going crazy either, just your average recommended daily intake whilst making sensible choices. I admit I don't know about carbs for diabetics, as I don't have diabetes. For me though, it's not sensible to be cutting down large food group portions, and from what I've read, eating a diet of consisting mainly of wholegrains, vegetables and fruit isn't going to hurt me.
(I'm not being narky btw. I'm so paranoid about how my tone is coming across over the net :roll: )


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:51 am 
orange you glad?

Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:41 pm
Posts: 1382
Kizzi wrote:
Um, I guess I'm a bit confused by what Ashley posted too because every dietician I've ever seen (and I've seen a few :ooook:) have told me exactly what Kate's did. I actually went through a "carbs are the devil" stage before I got admitted to ed ip for the first time a couple years ago - I would only eat carbs from fruit and vege sources and man did it mess with my body and my brain. I think it literally sent me crazy :-?

I guess a diet full of high GI carbs isn't going to be ideal, but low GI whole-grains are meant to be pretty awesome for your body...and they taste pretty good too :)


Ditto. Breads and cereals take up the greatest portion of our Guide to Healthy Eating here in Aus. My dietician flipped out when I was not eating carbs of any sort. We need to B vitamins out of them to assist with mood stabilisation, and also as I was quite an active dancer I just needed them for the pure energy. Definitely agree with the High GI vs. Low GI statement Kiz. It does depend on your energy requirements though - I know that sometimes athletes need High GI carbs for that burst of energy before an event.


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:17 am 
orange is a state of mind

Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:42 pm
Posts: 2473
MissEllen wrote:
Definitely agree with the High GI vs. Low GI statement Kiz. It does depend on your energy requirements though - I know that sometimes athletes need High GI carbs for that burst of energy before an event.


Oh wow I TOTALLY overlooked this :ooook: Y'all should see the amount of high GI carbs my fiance ingests during the day/s preceding a run (he does long distances ie ultra-marathons)! I actually went out to dinner with a bunch of runners the night before they all ran the Sydney marathon last year and it was obvious that carbs equalled precious FUEL to these guys - it was nice to be able to witness what a healthy/non-fearful relationship with food looked like :)


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:05 am 
I love how this thread is going :).

I tend to worry about carbs sometimes too.. but in the right forms and quantities they're good for you and essential and every dietician, doctor or nurse I've ever asked has said the same.


Top
  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:16 am 
feeling out the orange

Joined: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:16 pm
Posts: 12
Location: Manchester, UK
I don't think I could get through the day without some sort of carbohydrate in the morning! (in the form of bircher museli, bran cereal, or wholemeal bread!)

_________________
'All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to persue them' - Walt Disney


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:40 pm 
orange you glad?

Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:06 am
Posts: 1055
I just want to say, that it's important to allow ourselves for high-GI or processed carbs also if we feel like eating them. I know, for myself, that sticking to only healthy food can make you afraid of any others.

Carbs are good, carbs are energy. For me it's essential to have some for my breakfast, cause I need the 'kick' of energy they provide to start my day as I'm always on the rush. :)


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:55 pm 
orange addict
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:42 am
Posts: 182
Location: Chicago, IL
I don't think anyone is suggesting that one should revel in carbohydrates indiscriminately. Not ALL the time anyways. :)

There's been plenty of discussion on this thread as to the importance of considering the difference between whole grains/complex carbohydrates and processed/simple carbohydrates.

I think it's important to realize that these foods have a legit nutritional value. As with any food, eating them in moderation is advisable, but we need to realize that "carbohydrates" aren't bad for us, although processed sugars in excess may be bad for us. It's an all elephants are gray, but not all gray things are elephants type of thing.

That being said, I think it's important to be able to enjoy processed carbohydrates (in moderation and outside of a binge mentality) if you want to, sometimes. Part of learning to eat normally is learning to enjoy food in moderation, and in my personal experience, learning not to ascribe *moral value* to food or eating situations. I want to take care of my body because *I* want to function in the best way possible and live a fulfilling life. I don't feel as though constantly evaluating the morality of my food choices is useful.

I think what people might be reacting negatively to here is the context in which you are talking about the relative "good" and "bad" nutritional/moral values of carbohydrates. The thread was started as a way for a member to express her triumph over her ED in allowing herself to eat carbs, and to realize that carbs have a valid nutritional value in a healthy diet.

I think in some ways, it almost seemed as though you were playing the devil's (ED's) advocate. In so much as you were implying a sense of, "wait a minute, hold on, you don't want to get out of control with this carb thing." When the original point of this post was to assert a new found realization and freedom from controlling/restrictive ED thoughts. This was my gut reaction to your post. That's not to diminish what you said, it's correctness, or it's usefulness. It's just that the context of the thread may have made your comments seem kind of counterproductive.


Top
Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:57 pm 
orange goddess

Joined: Fri May 15, 2009 4:28 am
Posts: 1651
Location: Wellington, New Zealand.
nachtigallen wrote:
I think it's important to realize that these foods have a legit nutritional value. As with any food, eating them in moderation is advisable, but we need to realize that "carbohydrates" aren't bad for us, although processed sugars in excess may be bad for us. It's an all elephants are gray, but not all gray things are elephants type of thing.

That being said, I think it's important to be able to enjoy processed carbohydrates (in moderation and outside of a binge mentality) if you want to, sometimes. Part of learning to eat normally is learning to enjoy food in moderation, and in my personal experience, learning not to ascribe *moral value* to food or eating situations. I want to take care of my body because *I* want to function in the best way possible and live a fulfilling life. I don't feel as though constantly evaluating the morality of my food choices is useful.

I think what people might be reacting negatively to here is the context in which you are talking about the relative "good" and "bad" nutritional/moral values of carbohydrates. The thread was started as a way for a member to express her triumph over her ED in allowing herself to eat carbs, and to realize that carbs have a valid nutritional value in a healthy diet.


Couldn't have said it better myself!

_________________
http://www.lifeisafeministissue.blogspot.com
http://www.catrat07.blogspot.com - book reviews


Top
Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Moderator: post-mods Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Theme created StylerBB.net & kodeki