Last visit was: It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:40 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Atkins? CARBS!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:37 am 
at my dietician appointment today I expressed my worry that I had been eating too many carbs.

har har har, CARBS ARE BRILLIANT! CARBS ARE YOUR FRIEND!

Did you know that the only thing your brain can use as energy is glucose? Carbs turn into glucose. The only other way your body can get glucose if you don't eat enough carbs is by breaking down your muscle.

Therefore LOW CARBS DIETS ARE STUPID. CARBS ARE YOUR FRIEND!

Low carb diets make people lose weight at first because all their muscle is breaking down! As they lose more muscle, their metabolism slows down, then they go FUCK THIS I'M HUNGRY, and end up gaining more weight than they lost as a result.

Thank jeebus for my dietician. What a grand discovery!

mmmm....bread :) rice.....mash potato.....mueeessssssliiiiiii!!!!

(She also said that a good percentage of carbs is about 55-60% of your diet)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:38 am 
a loaf a day makes your muscle stay! lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:44 am 
orange you glad?

^ LOL. But yes, SO true! Great post! :clap: :heart:

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:48 am 
orange scribe

hell yeh! and i had pasta for dinner nom nom

Recovery Boat
My Photos

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:51 am 
orange you glad?

^ and I am just about to eat some carb-a-licious potato wedges...mmm...carbs :ooook:

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:31 am 
potato and tuna pattys!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:49 am 
orange like clockwork

In treatment my Pdoc gave me a handout called 'Carbs are not evil.' I should find it and put it up here :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:32 am 
calypso wrote:
In treatment my Pdoc gave me a handout called 'Carbs are not evil.' I should find it and put it up here :)

Haha I love that :smile:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:03 am 
exploring my potential!

Yes, it's so true!

I have recently reintroduced carbs into my diet, a biiiiig fear food. And omg!
THEY MAKE YOU FEEL SO GOOD! My mood is so much more uplifted!
and... (surprise surprise) I DID NOT BALLOON!!!!
I CAN THINK!!
Carbs = success! Yay!
You know what... Since carbs are one of the scariest for us, the ultimate bonus of them is the internal strength that just allowing them gives us: carbs being such a WIN against ED!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:14 pm 
orange goddess

diets aren't going to get you anywhere their a temporary solution and if you don't stick with it you'll gain all the weight back. .

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:19 pm 
I agree, some sugars particularly refined ones are fine to cut down on. If you never ate sweets again, you'd most definitely live, without any malnourishment :) But I think when people generally refer to "carbs", they mean things like bread, potatoes, pasta. And while yes, white bread tastes like arse and sticks to the roof of your mouth, wholegrain is an essential part of your diet. Mmm yesterday I had baked beans on wholegrain toast. Carbs, protein, 1 of your 5 a day and a little fat in the spread too. And it only takes a few minutes to make. I don't know why I don't eat it more often tbh!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:19 pm 
Ashely I might have missread your post but you can't just substitute carbohydrates for vegetables and leafy greens. Carbohydrates are a completely different food group. I'm with you on the balance of carbohydrates being towards the unrefined sort (to a point.. wholegrain and wholemeal stuff I think is great and healthy too) but not on cutting them out and swapping them for vegetables...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:58 pm 
healthy is sexy

Ashley, whilst I support what you are saying, I think it is also very triggering. By knowing that carbs aren't essential many of the voices in our heads may start to have a fury and say things like 'see, you don't need carbs!' leading to restrictive behaviour.
I am not having a go at all, I just think that posting things like this for people like us to read is probably highly triggering and unneccessary.
Well, that's just my opinion anyway (:

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:12 pm 
orange is hot

AimeeLouise wrote:
Ashley, whilst I support what you are saying, I think it is also very triggering. By knowing that carbs aren't essential many of the voices in our heads may start to have a fury and say things like 'see, you don't need carbs!' leading to restrictive behaviour.
I am not having a go at all, I just think that posting things like this for people like us to read is probably highly triggering and unneccessary.
Well, that's just my opinion anyway (:

Everything that Ashley said was completely true and scientifically accurate, and presented in a very informative way with a neutral tone. It's not like she said "Cake is evil and just looking at it will immediately make you weigh eleventy bajillion pounds!" She got into valid biochemistry. If simple biological facts are triggering...honestly, that's something that you as an individual need to deal with, and not try to censor factual information.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:49 pm 
healthy is sexy

Whilst I realise that of course this is factual evidence, and no she is not saying that eating carbs will make you gain weight, or they are bad for you, I just found it quite triggering, but hey maybe i was the only one.
Sorry if I have distressed or angered anyone, I truly truly mean no harm.
I feeling a bit bad for this now :-(

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Moderator: post-mods Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next