Last visit was: It is currently Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:03 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Baby carrots not really
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:04 pm 
admin goddess from hell

I guess I already knew this, but it bugs me that they are spending $25M on a campaign to sell a product that (1) involves so much food wastage (why won't people buy misshapen carrots, for god's sake? I eat them out of the garden all the time) and (2) are treated with chlorine to preserve them and (3) costs more money to buy than the untreated product in a world where basic food prices are escalating so rapidly that rioting is resulting in some countries.

http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2010/09/03/con-baby-carrot.html[/quote]

Quote from one commentor:

Quote:
These carrots are made from larger carrots, generally imperfect, misshaped carrots which consumers would not purchase. They are then dipped in chlorine to preserve them for an unnaturally long time and because they ahve been peeled and would generally deteriorate quite quickly. Not many will believe this however if you just let them rest in the frig for a week or so and watch the while foam that comes out. Chlorine......

~~ John Lennon

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:26 pm 
orange is a state of mind

Ashley wrote:
Lol, yep. Perfect little prepackaged suburban turds.

I think we need to move back to where we came from. As you said, Spender, what's wrong with a carrot from the garden? Didn't we evolve eating animals and shit from the ground? Not factory produced stuff thats a mishmash of chemical and plant?

I love my funky looking home-grown carrots. I always thought our weird looking zucchini and button squash (pattypan squash?) looked cool growing up made it fun, really. We used to fight over who would get the weirdest looking one.
... symmetrical baby carrots in a tin always freaked me out. I guess because we grew up with a veggie garden I've known they aren't supposed to look the same :carrot:

:thing: "don't mess with nature!"

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:11 pm 
orange is hot

Yikes. I generally buy regular carrots since they're cheaper anyway, but this is just more motivation to stay far away from them.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:23 pm 
exploring my potential!

It's so ridiculous!
I would be more turned off by a 'perfectly shaped' fruit or vegetable because it just seems so unnatural. And seriously, you can realllly taste the difference between these mutants and home-grown produce. I'm the knob who buys the misshapen bag of carrots at the supermarket that is clearly labeled "JUICING CARROTS" purely because of their shape. Bugger that, why make them appear to the consumer that they are just for juicing? They are cheaper and tasty and natural and there's nothing bloody wrong with them!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:16 pm 
orange is hot

georgia2 wrote:
It's so ridiculous!
I would be more turned off by a 'perfectly shaped' fruit or vegetable because it just seems so unnatural.

Well, there's nothing really "unnatural" about baby carrots themselves; they're not grown that way, they're cut to a uniform size. It's the same thing as peeling and chopping a regular carrot in your own kitchen. Treating them with chlorine, though - that's another kettle of fish.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:20 pm 
power lies within

I must admit...I am guilty of buying baby carrots. I will have to change that the next time I visit the grocery. :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:33 pm 
I'm a bit confused.... surely this doesn't apply to all baby carrots? Aren't regular baby carrots just young small carrots? I was under the impression this was a new thing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:49 pm 
admin goddess from hell

If they have green tops on them, they are normal, but if they are just little orange turds, as Ashley so eloquently described them, then they are shaped and treated.

~~ John Lennon

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:56 pm 
Spender wrote:
If they have green tops on them, they are normal, but if they are just little orange turds, as Ashley so eloquently described them, then they are shaped and treated.

Agh so this isn't new and has been going on a while?

I'm a bit freaked.. I tend to eat baby carrots as a snack with hummous... I had no idea this is what they did to them... must admit they do taste a bit different to regular carrots I just figured that was because they were baby ones (which I now realise is stupid..) :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:59 am 
galactic orange

Butterfly wrote:
Agh so this isn't new and has been going on a while?

I'm a bit freaked.. I tend to eat baby carrots as a snack with hummous... I had no idea this is what they did to them... must admit they do taste a bit different to regular carrots I just figured that was because they were baby ones (which I now realise is stupid..) :(

Don't worry, I thought the same thing too. Bugger, this is going to be hard to explain to my parents without them thinking it's me on one of my 'anorexic rants'.

edit: just remembered my dad always buys organic baby carrots. That makes us safe, right?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:20 pm 
Rainbow. wrote:

Don't worry, I thought the same thing too. Bugger, this is going to be hard to explain to my parents without them thinking it's me on one of my 'anorexic rants'.

edit: just remembered my dad always buys organic baby carrots. That makes us safe, right?

Yup from what I gathered organic ones are fine.
I'm slightly relieved I'm not the only one who thought those "baby carrots" just tasted a bit different as they are "baby" ones...

Okay.. so realistically no-ones going to die from eating them organic or not they're just not as good for you.. so no reason to freak just perhaps I'll try not to eat them anymore and will stick to regular carrots..
My mum's friend at work grows purple carrots with orange centres. They're awesome! (slight :topic: I realise..)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:31 pm 
admin goddess from hell

The organic ones are "probably" ok to eat, but it depends on the details of the organic certification used. People think that certified organic means no chemicals, when that is often just not true, just as free-run chickens are not the same as free-range chickens. There are dozens of organic certifications, sometimes even within the same country.

However, while eating organic may deal with the issues associated with chlorine, it still leaves the issues of food wastage in a starving world and cost differentials for foods that are essentially "shaped" forms of foods readily available in the supermarket.

~~ John Lennon

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:36 pm 
galactic orange

Butterfly wrote:
Yup from what I gathered organic ones are fine.
I'm slightly relieved I'm not the only one who thought those "baby carrots" just tasted a bit different as they are "baby" ones...

Okay.. so realistically no-ones going to die from eating them organic or not they're just not as good for you.. so no reason to freak just perhaps I'll try not to eat them anymore and will stick to regular carrots..
My mum's friend at work grows purple carrots with orange centres. They're awesome! (slight :topic: I realise..)

Ah, okay. I'll try and check the label to be safe. I like carrots, they're supposed to be good for you, not full of chemicals! apparently purple/white carrots are the way carrots are naturally.. I'd love to try them!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:12 pm 
orange is hot

Rainbow. wrote:
apparently purple/white carrots are the way carrots are naturally.. I'd love to try them!

No, orange ones are natural, too; they're just a different strain. The original stock was indeed purple; they were eventually bred into a whole range of colors, including orange, by the Dutch (they loved their roots and bulbs, after all). The orange ones produce a whole fuckton of beta carotene, the form of vitamin A that makes veggies like pumpkins and sweet potatoes orange as well.

Off-topic anecdote: a couple years ago I decided I wanted to start eating more sweet potatoes, as they're ridiculously full of vitamins and other good stuff. My mom made baked sweet potatoes at dinner, and when I started eating mine, I made a face. When she asked me how I liked it, I complained that it "tasted like orange." After a moment of natural confusion (sweet potatoes do not, after all, taste like citrus), I clarified that it tasted like the color orange - like a taste that pumpkins, certain squashes, and carrots all share. My dad said that I was tasting the beta carotene. Apparently, I don't like the taste of beta carotene.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 1:51 pm 
galactic orange

^Oh, I never knew that! I didn't mean that they were unnatural, I just knew that you got natural purple and white carrots. Thanks for enlightening me (:

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Moderator: post-mods Go to page 1, 2  Next