Last visit was: It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:24 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Woman Gets Charged Extra Due to Her Weight
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:57 pm 
power lies within

Basically, in Georgia (the US state,) a woman went to get a pedicure and when she went to pay, she had an extra $5 tacked onto her bill. When she asked about the charge, the salon manager told her that it was because their $2500 pedicure chair had a weight capacity of 200 lbs. They added the $5 in case she broke it.

This doesn't make sense for soooo many reasons. Even ignoring the obvious rudeness and possible discrimination by the salon, there are other ridiculous factors involved.

1) What kind of business ethics do these people have? If there was a weight limit on the chair, they should have it posted somewhere. If they had, this whole incident would not have taken place and the customer would not have been humiliated.

2) What kind of pedicure chair only holds 200 lbs??? Are only healthy people allowed to get a pedicure?

3) If the chair is worth $2500, how is a $5 charge going to help?

UGH. Here is a link to the story with a video.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/2 ... 90542.html

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:13 pm 
orange you glad?

Seriously... seriously.

I can't come out with any other comment.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:30 pm 
orange scribe

the thing is... it must be a policy. if it weren't how would they have come up with it.

now I think it would be just as (if not more) embarassing to be turned away due to your size...

there are some things I truly do believe you should be charged more for if you are larger.... such as clothing (you use more fabric) and airplane seats if you cannot fit entirely in the seat...

regarding the latter... you are encroaching onto another's seat (that they paid for) if you go under the armrest or cannot have the middle one down.

a first class seat should be purchased (they're roomier) or two seats should be purchased.

overweigh people also cost the airline more money for the same reason heavier bags do.

even healthcare. studies have proven there are more health risks associated with being overweight than with being underweight.

I know those probably aren't popular views here, but I think those have merit.

this, not so much... there seems to be a lack of logic (wouldnt it be dangerous for her as a client if the chair broke?) and a lack of advertisement if the situation... I do think though that telling her upon arrival could've been worse

I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

http://recoverysabotage.tumblr.com/

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:37 pm 
orange you glad?

^I agree with your views at some points, but this particular situation seemd to me unethicaland rude. They could have posted the weight limit and above everything else, they shouldn't have charged her in advance.

Last edited by scarlett on Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:39 pm 
power lies within

^ I think if they had this posted somewhere at the entrance or on the window or something, it would be helpful. I really don't think it is store "policy" though. Also, there are other ways to let people know that there is a weight restriction than turning them away.

As far as airline seats, where would the line be drawn though? I sat next to a very tall man on a flight recently and his legs couldn't really fit so they ended up slanting into my foot space. Should he have been charged extra?

In regards to the weight on the aircraft, football players? Body Builders? They may not be overweight but they sure do weigh more than most. All that muscle adds up.

In respect to the clothing, I know that at times 2XL and such are more expensive than other sizes, but on that same principle, does that mean that petite people or thin people should be charged less?

Where would all the categorizing stop?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:47 pm 
orange scribe

yes. I think people with a lot of muscle DO fall into the same category weight wise.

there are exit row seats for tall people.

I know the reason I started flying first class was because of larger people truly encroaching my space. having to shove myself against the window to avoid touching them.

if you need a lap belt extender... it usually does mean you are going into someone else's space that they paid for.

as for clothing... I do believe smaller people should pay less, but you know that isn't going to happen.

small and medium and large are standard so I think those should be the same price.

like shoes... people who have massive feet have to pay more.

I am sorry, but I think there are reasons to charge more sometimes for larger people... especially airline seats

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:03 pm 
power lies within

Well, my point with mentioning the tall guy on my flight is that my space was definitely invaded. I had to squish against the window to keep his knee from touching mine.

I have also have people of a petite size invade my space.

Things are similar on other public forms of transportation though. On subways you have even smaller seats than on airlines. On buses, same size or smaller than airlines. I am not a fan of having to physically touch anyone but to me, it is part of taking public transit. Today I had a guy sitting at a peculiar angle that lead to his arm and back touching me. I did move once a spot was available, but during rush hours, that is pretty much impossible. But yeah, like I said, I am not really surprised or feel that I am having to deal with an injustice, it is just part of the public transit package.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:19 pm 
power lies within

Well, if you are taking a train a longer distance it can easily be a few hundred.

Just because it is more expensive doesn't mean it shouldn't be considered "public." For example, some people like to rent cars, some like to ride in taxis, and some like to book limos. All of them are attainable to the public and used by the public.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:39 pm 
orange scribe

I agree with Ashley that you cannot lump Airlines (or rental cars) with subways, metro trains, or busses.

With Airlines you are paying more for the comfort and convenience.

there is also no standing room like there is on some of those other modes of transport.

also you mentioned a petite person, but not how they invaded your space... if it was them just being inconsiderate I think its moot as with larger people they're unavoidable getting into your space.the whole of the side of your seat. (not even just your legs as it would with a taller person - as I too have sat next to a taller person - college basketball player
in fact)
it wouldn't matter if you were exit row (that cures a lot of the height issue) or not... they are going to have a good portion of their body in your seat.

why does their comfort have a higher value than mine?

I paid for a FULL seat, not 3/4 of one... or less if I decide not to touch them (which is usually the case)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:43 pm 
FadingHippie wrote:
even healthcare. studies have proven there are more health risks associated with being overweight than with being underweight.

I just want to query this.. are you sure? I'm sure that I read that pound for pound it's more damaging and dangerous to be X pounds underweight than it is to be X pounds overweight largely due to the fact its possible to be much much more overweight and still alive but it'd be impossible to be that underweight and survive. Unless that's not what you ment..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:54 pm 
orange scribe

I read an article at the doctor's (when health care was a huge buzz in the us this past summer) that the health risks go up at a faster rate with each added pound (from a bmi in the middle of a healthy weight range) than they do with each pound lost, with diabetes, heart attack risk, etc. I guess part of it is the method you choose to gain or lose the weight which the article did not broach upon.
they also did say though (if I remember correctly) that the
mortality rate was higher for underweight individuals, but overweight individuals had generally more medical issues.

they were explaining why it should be more expensive for those that are obese.

I do agree that obesity (not BMI necessarily, but high percent body fat) is worse and does have more health risks than someone with normal percent body fat.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:05 pm 
Hmm.. interesting slant that article takes as it sounds like it weights health conditions that people are living with as more serious than people dying earlier. I find that a bit odd but I guess it makes sense if they were looking at it from a finance perspective. It's cheaper for people to die than live on the health care system :-?

FadingHippie wrote:
I do agree that obesity (not BMI necessarily, but high percent body fat) is worse and does have more health risks than someone with normal percent body fat.

Worse than someone who's at the same sort of critical underweight? (even if we're not talking exactly the same pound for pound difference but the underweight equivilent of obesity)?

Sorry I'm getting a bit offtopic with this I realise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:16 pm 
power lies within

Well, one example of a petite person unintentionally invading my space was on a trip to Europe. He had fallen asleep and when I had reached down to get something out of my carry-on, he apparently slumped into my seat. I couldn't sit back. I personally have an issue with sleep and waking people up who are asleep, and even being around people who are asleep. Yes, I probably could have and should have said something, but I lived.

When it comes to the health aspect, I am wondering if they were talking about just overweight or obese. I mean hell, I was overweight in varying degrees and not one physician ever mentioned weight loss. (And no, these people didn't know about my ED.)

And yes, some of the modes of transportation I mentioned do have a standing room situation, but for obvious reasons that isn't possible in a plane. If it was possible, it would definitely exist. Not necessarily for the flights longer than 2 hours, but I imagine if it was offered at a cheaper price to stand, people would take that offer.

I do know that one of my issues in general is that I find it hard to speak up in such situations. I figure that I can suffer through it. Why make them uncomfortable as well? But, that is just the way my mind works and I know there are things to be improved upon in that respect.

I do see what you are saying about the seats in aircrafts, but I also think that part of the problem with the seats is that the planes were mostly designed several years ago. This is a problem in that unfortunately the overweight population has grown.

I know I tend to feel massive in airplanes. I feel like I shouldn't be filling the seat as much as I am, so I really wonder if someone who is larger but not taller or overweight, would not take up more room as well.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:48 pm 
orange scribe

@Eleanor - if you were critically underweight you would not have a healthy % body fat...so I stand by what I said as I believe % body fat is a good (certainly better than bmi) indicator of health. especially since they have healthy ranges for athletes and nonathletes. just my opinion though...

I believe that lack of or excess body fat truly is the culprit of a lot of health issues... rather than weight itself

oh and Kaz that guy was just inconsiderate. it could've been remedied.... you can't remedy a person's body going into the space you paid for.

they're not going to redesign the planes anytime soon. it's all about the money... as is everything these days it seems

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:39 pm 
orange scribe

according to wisegeek, most airplane seats are 17.5 - 18" they say that is most comfy for someone with 36" hips.

midwest seats are 21"

first class seats are usually wider and have over double the pitch (space between you and the seat in front of you)

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Moderator: post-mods Go to page 1, 2  Next