Last visit was: It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:57 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: next top model - tyra banks praises model with small waste
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:38 pm 
feeling out the orange

I'm not going to put a link on here b/c most of the pictures and videos of this are beyond triggering so if you want to see for yourself, google it.

on an advertisment for ANTM, tyra banks made sure there was a 10second little clip from when Anne (or Ana?) was first considered for the show. the clip shows a very tall very very thin girl walking into the room and tyra litterally gasping at the size of the models waste stating "wow, you have the tiniest waste ever! i really like her!). the clip then shows Jay putting his hands around the models waste, fingers touching on both sides while the other judges sit there with mounths open, wide-eyed stares and tyra goes on and on about how much she likes this girl. :huh:

of course people freaked out about it and tyra apologized removing the clip from the comercial saying that although she trys she can not be every where at once and would not have let the clip air if she had seen it. :oh:

I call bullshit! this woman who claims to promote women of a healthy weight continuously pick models and praises stick-figures. I hate hypocritical people (and shows) like this. it seems like they go out of their way to find these triggering things, bring them to the publics attention just long anough to get some media coverage, apologize like it was just an accident and sit back and watch the ratings soar. its dissgusting. :soapbox:

sry about the typos and misspellings, im being sneaky and posting this at work b/c it made me so upset!!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:51 am 
I saw that clip posted in a UK newspaper's website, but I didn't ever see it come up anywhere else which I thought was strange! That girl though.... she looked like a robot. Or like one of those creatures in Avatar. Her figure was so peculiar I find it difficult to imagine that's how she is naturally. I mean, I know we come in all shapes ans sizes, but COME ON!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:13 am 
orange is a state of mind

I saw an article too. or rather 2. It said her height in one and weight in the other, so I worked out her bmi, and, well, I'm not going to post it. It's LOW. She actually met the criteria for sectionable, let alone anorexia. So even if they were slightly out...
I do not believe for a second she is healthy. I am very small built and even when younger I wouldn't have been that low, and she's not THAT young anyway, she's 22 apparently.
I don't think she should have been allowed on the show. But then I've never seen it, so I have no idea how triggering it usually is. Don't think it actually shows on free tv here, though it must on somewhere like Sky for it to have been in the news.
It just does not send out a good message. If someone tells me she's won further down the line, I'll be pretty disgusted in the judges.

Admittedly the photos the article showed of their faces were rather amusing though- now THAT was shocked!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:28 pm 
power lies within

There is an article that posts the following statement from Tyra Banks:

Tyra Banks wrote:
In an effort to create a fun and entertaining sneak peak of the upcoming cycle, America's Next Top Model released a trailer that was edited in way that misconstrued our overarching message.
As a leader in celebrating and promoting healthy body image, I must admit that I regrettably didn't see this clip before it was released to the public, (with multiple Top Model departments, it's just impossible to review everything) but on behalf of the Top Model team, these were not the intentions, and we truly apologize for any confusion, anger or disappointment it may have caused.

The passionate response the trailer has evoked proves that the message to promote and celebrate all different -- healthy and natural -- body types has resonated with our viewers and I'm so proud of every one of you who voiced your opinion and participated in this conversation. I have experienced body image scrutiny from one extreme to the next -- as an awkward, extremely thin pre-teen who couldn't gain weight no matter what I did, to later being slammed by the media for my fuller, curvier frame.

Driven by these personal experiences I am committed to expanding the definition of beauty which includes ALL shapes, sizes and proportions, from skinny to curvy and everything in between. It's about women telling the world to KISS their -- skinny, wide, droopy, flat, cellulite-covered or FAT -- you know what!

Through Top Model and my other platforms, I am able to connect with women directly. During this season of Top Model, you will see that Ann (the woman featured in the trailer) provided another opportunity for me to support a young woman struggling with her own body image issues (she's 6'2''; and is the receiver of countless stares and ridicule). Helping young ladies, like Ann and countless others that have confided in me, furthers and supports my core mission.

I have no idea how accurate her statement is to this situation, but I thought I should let people know that she is not publicly condoning this.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:19 pm 
healthy is sexy

Saw the clip posted on another forum, and it looks to me like the girl is in a tightlacing corset. I'm a completely "normal" weight - in the upper range of the "healthy" BMIs, as a matter of fact - but when I tightlace, people react similarly. I've had several people tell me "you look dead!" and go on to explain that they can't see how someone can be alive with a waist that small. In reality, it's not a massive difference physically, only visually. Tightlacing is a kind of body modification. It's not supposed to look normal or natural.

I don't know if she actually was wearing a corset, but that was what it looked like to me. Her body type didn't look like the kind to have such a small waist and tapered ribcage; it looked very much like a tall person's body in a tightlacing corset.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:25 pm 

^Maybe so, but she still has a sectionable bmi. It's not the only part of her that's skinny, her legs are like matchsticks.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:05 am 
orange wonder

Rook wrote:
Saw the clip posted on another forum, and it looks to me like the girl is in a tightlacing corset. I'm a completely "normal" weight - in the upper range of the "healthy" BMIs, as a matter of fact - but when I tightlace, people react similarly. I've had several people tell me "you look dead!" and go on to explain that they can't see how someone can be alive with a waist that small. In reality, it's not a massive difference physically, only visually. Tightlacing is a kind of body modification. It's not supposed to look normal or natural.

I don't know if she actually was wearing a corset, but that was what it looked like to me. Her body type didn't look like the kind to have such a small waist and tapered ribcage; it looked very much like a tall person's body in a tightlacing corset.

Honestly when I read the article and saw the pictures, it looked more like she had a rib surgically removed.

I know thin people suffer self-esteem issues as much as overweight people, so I can sorta see where Tyra's coming from. I mean, a friend of my sister's constantly bitches about being skinny because she thinks she looks like a twelve year old and therefore boys don't take her seriously.

People need to learn to take what they see with a grain of salt. Are people really to be celebrated for their bodies? Or should they be celebrated for what they know and how they go about life? This lady does not look like a happy person to me, so I do not aspire to be anything like her.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:15 pm 
healthy is sexy

MovingOn wrote:
^Maybe so, but she still has a sectionable bmi. It's not the only part of her that's skinny, her legs are like matchsticks.

Where did you find out what her BMI was?

Bear in mind, she is really tall. I'm not saying she's healthy and I'm definitely not saying that she's someone people should aspire to look like, but between being so tall and probably being quite young as well, it's entirely possible that she happens to be a beanpole at this stage of her development, and in combination with a tightlacing corset, that can produce a really unnatural-looking, alien sort of appearance without starvation diets or surgical rib removal.

How her body shape came to be isn't really the topic of discussion, though... it's Tyra's reaction. I'm still waiting to hear the whole story about how she really responded to the girl's waist size. It's bound to be sliced and diced by the media, with various different motives.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:37 pm 
orange goddess

She does look far too thin. It's possible she's just at that stage of her development but I doubt it.
I hope if she is having problems they get her some help.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:08 am 

^^An article I saw gave her height and weight, so I worked out the bmi.

It also said she was 22, so she's not simply a gawky teenager.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:52 am 
orange scribe

please tell me she wasnt actually chosen as a contestant for the season? lol i could just google

Recovery Boat
My Photos

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:18 pm 
power lies within

^ Well, I know at the very least she is not among the top 10.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:14 pm 

Are the contestants usually really skinny? Maybe not as skinny as this one obviously, but are they generally very thin?
Sorry. It's only on pay TV here, so I've never actually seen it. People have talked about it a lot though, so kinda curious.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:53 pm 
power lies within

^ They do have some "plus-sized" models on the program and I know one of them won not too long ago. Of course, they are nowhere near in number as the thinner models are.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:10 pm 
orange scribe

I think a lot are the size you could readily spot on the street... you know girls that are thinner, but in a normal way - girls that are a size that you see everywhere in large quantity... there have been a few that looked unhealthy thin... the kind of size you don't see as often in real life.

there were also a few contestants that raised questions.

you actually see a lot of the contestants eating on the show frequently and I have often wondered if they cut the footage that way on purpose

I myself am made entirely of flaws, stitched together with good intentions.

http://recoverysabotage.tumblr.com/

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Moderator: post-mods Go to page 1, 2  Next