Last visit was: It is currently Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:46 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: "Junk" food.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:04 am 
orange goddess

What a stupid term.
Why does those lovely french fries, or a little cup of ice cream in summer have to be called the aggressive and disturbing JUNK FOOOOOOD?

Now, I'm not a nutritionist but I know that eating mcdonalds every day's unhealthy, leaving aside weight issues, but is it essential to give such a bad name to an object which was abused by somebody? I mean, I eat a burger and fries occasionally, and feel JUST FINE, and would feel much better if the term JUNK FOOD label were not stapled to it with gothic letters. (Ok, rambling now). :-?

I don't get it.
Now excuse me while I trash myself up with JUNK FOOD, that is donuts.
(mmmm) :)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:53 am 
power lies within

^ Yeah, I think people tend to call it "junk" food because there isn't much in the way of nutritional value to them. However, they still count as a food group and as a food, so screw 'em.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:39 pm 
galactic orange

Whenever some "expert" talks about unhealthy food, the first things named are burgers, pizza and french fries. They are kind of a symbol of "what makes people fat".

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:26 pm 
healthy is sexy

It's not about them 'making you fat', though, it's about their nutritional content, in terms of how balanced and helpful it is to your body - which is not much, for foods labeled 'junk'. I can see your point about the term seeming too negative for when you want to eat some 'junk food' as a treat, but I think it's fair enough to have a term for it.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:28 am 
if you ate ANY food or food group in excess it would be unhealthy. eg if you lived off fruit you wouldn't be healthy.

good thread :) thankyou for bringing this to my mind cos 'junk food' is something i have trouble eating at times, or feel bad about eating.

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:49 am 
orange you glad?

^ Agreed! Fruitarians what now? Hahaha. Variety is the spice of life, after all :)

PS. Mmmm, "junk" food :D I can now eat pop tarts and fries with the best of 'em.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:43 am 
orange is a state of mind

^Fruitarians don't eat SOLELY fruit, or they'd become protein deficient. They eat things such as nuts and seeds too for example. Not saying it's healthy, but just thought it's worth pointing out. The name needs to be taken loosely, same as you wouldn't assume a vegetarian eats only vegetables.

Junk food isn't such a bad term. IMO. If you lived off junk food you'd be malnourished as it has no significant nutritional value. It's junk because it has little benefit bar pleasure and calories/energy. I think most people realise it's ok to have sometimes. But it's not ok to live on, and some people do make up a far too large part of their diet from it. It's way more common than those who won't touch it, hence the negative connotations it has. If we all ate healthily it would be thought of as treat food perhaps. But just now it's forming too large a part of many people's intake to be accurately looked on as a treat.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:52 am 
orange goddess

Well, I know that America does have a serious issue of obesity, and it's understandbale that they invented the term, since 'junk food' is like their 'enemy'.
But it just shouldn't have become an INTERNATIONAL term. It's just unfair. In my country there's no significant percentage of obesity, but the term has been recently translated in our language. Stupid globalisation.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:54 am 
orange goddess

Oh, and it seems to me that more and more food gets included in the junk food category. In French even fried eggs is considered as junk food. :-? What's so unhealthy about fried eggs??

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:05 am 

^Bad fats I suppose. Frying isn't the healthiest, and if it's fried in butter for example, fried eggs are a significant source of saturated fats.

people shouldn't really write it off as junk though, as eggs do have some value. I wouldn't even call butter junk for that matter, as it's ok in moderation, better than many margarines. You're better having some saturated fat (which is ok in moderation) than trans fats, which aren't good for you even in the smallest amounts. I won't touch anything with trans fats. Thankfully some dairy free spreads are made without them or all sorts of addictives.

But yeah. I mean I'm vegan, and I don't get the demonisation of most animal products. I don't not eat them for health reasons.
I have gotten to stop being so afraid of all fat to though, by buying oil that's good for me. I get hemp seed oil (brand is lterally called "Good Oil") and I remind myself that a couple teaspoons of it provide all my RDA of the 3 omegas, and that's a valuable part of a balanced diet. helps the brain function well too.

I imagine the UK being part of Europe doesn't help the obesity figures for the continent as a whole. they're catching up fast with the US here. I think about 40% of the population is overweight or obese now. Plus sizes are getting easier to find than a size 6 or 8 (US 2 or 4 I think, we go down to a 4 which would be a 0 I think).
belgium is doing well really. the UK needs to look at what other European countries are doing differently. We're screwing up on everything from diet to immigration.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:18 am 
i dont think fried eggs are bad! we use like a bit of olive oil so it doesnt stick.....

so its.....eggs....lol

but brands will tell you anything is 'bad' to make you buy their food....eg in aus milk and yoghurt

:?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:50 am 
I have the same issue with "good fat" and "bad fat" tbh. There is no good or bad fat. One is not going to hell and the other heaven for example :P. It is true you should just steer towards unsaturated fat and eat more of that than saturated fat I agree. But good and bad implies some sort of ethical thing to me and guilt.
I really hate it when people go on about how "bad for us" a pudding or meal is we're eating. Why do we have to made to feel guilty about what it is we're eating? The weird thing is, is unless you have an eating disorder you're very unlikely to stop eating the "bad" food and are just going to continue eating and feel guilty about it. I don't see a problem with calling food a treat. It means people realise you're only supposed to eat this upon occasion because the thing is making people feel guilty about what they're eating doesn't stop them eating it it just makes them feel guilty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:07 am 

^Trans fat is bad fat, fullstop. It's unnatural. The body doesn't need trans fat. Other fats, yeah, I don't see them as bad in the context of a balanced diet, but trans are evil. they need to stop using them. They're basically artificially altered substances that the body was never meant to consume, same way artificial additives are.
The difference between good and bad fats is that good fats are essential, bad fats are not. They should possibly label them as essential/non-essential like they do amino acids, but I'm assuming they think good/bad is simpler for people in general.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: "Junk" food.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:04 pm 
the original orange

anna valentina wrote:
What a stupid term.
Why does those lovely french fries, or a little cup of ice cream in summer have to be called the aggressive and disturbing JUNK FOOOOOOD?

Because the food manufacturers put a lot of cheap ingredients into their products that could easily be something else of a higher quality.

An example: high fructose corn syrup when they could be using natural cane sugar. It makes a huge difference in taste. There's also been studies in the last year suggesting that mercury is added to the food in the process of refining the high fructose... making it neurotoxic. Food should not be toxic. Food should be healthy. We shouldn't adapt our tastes to whatever is most compact, sweet and instant... but learn to savor natural flavors in foods. In many developed countries, "junk" food is cheaper than healthy food.

Even your example of "ice cream" in western countries like USA and Canada is pumped full of air to make it expand to fill the tub. The packaging might even be labeled to suggest it has "less calories". But it's just air... and people inadvertently end up eating heaps more of it that way... when a much smaller bowl of real ice cream (made with double the cream, no air) would yes be more "fattening" if you were to eat the same volume... but you fill up on it much faster. And it tastes better. This is an example of how good food is turned into junk. It's not that the food is "wrong" as such. It's that the mass food producers take shortcuts to reduce their overall bottom line and don't tell the end consumer about it. If the consumer is ill-informed, they won't know to demand better. They will instead assume that is the way ice cream is "supposed" to be. (ie. Half air. There's actually a "legal" limit to how much air ice cream is meant to contain... and it's at 50%. Homemade ice cream will probably contain about 20%... and taste a lot thicker and richer. Does this make sense? It's little things...)

Try a gelato and see if you like it any differently from mass produced ice cream. If you can get it where you are...

Quote:
Now, I'm not a nutritionist but I know that eating mcdonalds every day's unhealthy, leaving aside weight issues, but is it essential to give such a bad name to an object which was abused by somebody?

There was a law against libel (against corporations) in the UK that I don't know if it's still on the books... but two brave souls fought for the right to criticize McDonalds... and had to prove that their negative claims were true in the process. (There's a documentary on it here:

This is an older documentary... but the battle went on for like 15 yrs
McLibel
http://freedocumentaries.org/int.php?filmID=315

See also
Super Size Me
http://freedocumentaries.org/film.php?id=98

That doesn't mean that junk food once in a while will kill you...

...but at the same time, you are what you eat... and we're all better off if we make better choices for ourselves. If we can't trust corporations to feed us without giving us crap to cut their bottom line, we have to learn how to make the things we enjoy for ourselves. We have to patronize (buy from) those who demonstrate they value quality and health in food production. I don't want to give my power (ie. money) to McDonalds. I don't like what they do to food, I don't like how they treat their workers and how little they get paid. It is more ethical reasons that I'd avoid them. They aren't making a better world from where I'm sitting. And their advertising... is obnoxious.

But yeah once in a blue moon I might have a burger from there. I might have food there if I were really hungry and there were nothing else around... but I wouldn't feel right about it even as I did so. It'd make me feel like a hypocrite.

Quote:
I mean, I eat a burger and fries occasionally, and feel JUST FINE, and would feel much better if the term JUNK FOOD label were not stapled to it with gothic letters. (Ok, rambling now). :-?

I don't know. I make a damn good burger...

Quote:
I don't get it.

I don't like what McDonalds does to teenage workers, by not teaching them any real food production skills. Just making them a poorly paid cog in a machine that's easily replaced. (ie. "McJobs")

I don't like what McDonalds does to communities, bringing down the rate of pay for restaurants and catering businesses in a region. It's like Walmart. Same erosion of wealth within a region.

I don't like what McDonalds does to children, advertising to them young to imprint them with the belief that mass produced unhealthy crap is something they should think of as "food". People do not learn how to feed themselves healthy meals if they depend on that sugar and fat laden crap.

I don't like the way McDonalds treats the animals it uses for meat.
[I'm not a vegetarian.. but c'mon.]

I do have a sweet tooth for candy once in a while. I do enjoy things that are not healthy for me. I am hypocritical about this. I am seeking healthier alternatives. I would love it if we could all learn how to produce our own sweets and "junk" food with better ingredients to improve upon the crap we're fed.

Quote:
I don't like
Now excuse me while I trash myself up with JUNK FOOD, that is donuts.
(mmmm) :)

I like homemade donuts. They are a million times better than the crap donuts we have here at Tim Horton's. (Those are made in Ontario and then shipped frozen to restaurants across the country to "serve up fresh"... even though they aren't made fresh anymore. The company was bought out by Wendy's - an american company - and then they eroded the quality of the brand by serving us crap and raising the price of coffee while shrinking the cup size again and again over time. Used to buy there. Then stopped because it pissed me off.)

If there were a donut place here that made fresh donuts, I'd eat there. Even if it "unhealthy"... to give money to some business that valued better quality food production than the crap we get right now.

Meh. I'm talking in circles.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:07 pm 
the original orange

Wolf wrote:
Whenever some "expert" talks about unhealthy food, the first things named are burgers, pizza and french fries. They are kind of a symbol of "what makes people fat".

I think it's so that people do not consider ingredients, do not consider that things can be prepared better (using healthier, better quality ingredients) to make things healthier than the crap we are fed in fast food restaurants, tv dinners, etc.

If people looked at and understood the ingredients, they would be more informed consumers and know junk from healthy.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Moderator: post-mods Go to page 1, 2  Next