Last visit was: It is currently Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: club monaco mannequins emaciated *link to triggering pics*
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:44 pm 
i have post secret added on twitter and they posted this link to an article about the new mannequins in broadway New York at 'Club Monaco' that have very prominent collarbones and a visible backbone. :shock:

mannequins are unrealistic as is. adding this to them says, well they were unrealistic as a size so absolutely miniscule even our smallest size needs pinning on them, so we made it REALISTIC by portraying anorexic, emaciated mannequins!

:-?

BUT, i cant find a picture or any mention on the net, but it seems that Big W in Bathurst has introduced mannequins that are slightly more rounded than these 'ordinary' mannequins we see. Still probably on the lower spectrum weight wise, but better none-the-less!

I've seen a couple of times around town and other places, these mannequins which have obviously (I HOPE) had some sort of defect in the making and one of their legs has been squished from the sides and its width is non existent. it makes me crazy that people can put that in their shop window.

anyway this is the link the the article about the mannequins
*warning again, the pictures at the end of the article in this link could be triggering so click with care*
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/07/19/club-monaco-mannequins-em_n_650833.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:11 pm 
orange is hot

I'm normally pretty cavalier towards advertising in general - there's SO much bullshit that I can tune it all out, or at least do my best to do so - but this...no. This I don't like. Ironically, perhaps, I think this makes the mannequin into something like an achievable ideal - it looks more like a realistic human, like it's not just a hollow plastic shell. It's like it's showing what my insides should look like as well as my outside, if that makes sense.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:37 am 
That is terrible. We don't have that shop in England so unfortunately I can't boycott! Ann Summers the underwear chain here uses mannequins with clearly visible ribs. It angers me every time, especially since they're one of the few places left where I can buy bras, since I'm allergic to the nylon most places use. GRRRR!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:04 pm 
orange you glad?

The Club Monaco in Chicago has those mannequins. Actually, I went there for a job interview and decided to just leave. I don't want to work for a company that promotes that.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:20 pm 
orange is hot

That is really frustrating... for some reason when the mannequins are "skinny" but don't look realistic, i.e. don't have features like SPINES it doesn't bother me *as* much but this is too much... ugh.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:45 pm 
In some ways I wonder if this is almost an improvement.
At least it shows that it is physically impossible to be as thin as a mannequin without being dangerously and unattractively thin... although of course it would be much much better if they used bigger realistic mannequins.
Perhaps if they made it so the size of a mannequin had to reflect the shape and appearance of a woman of that height and size it would put more pressure onto them to use bigger mannequins as people would be so appualed at these ones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:19 pm 
orange is hot

That's an interesting idea...

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:49 pm 
admin goddess from hell

I agree with Butterfly, actually. The normal mannequins are ridiculously disproportioned and skinny, yet the smoothing over of the bodies is akin to photoshopping the bones out of models in magazines. This is at least a bit more honest.

~~ John Lennon

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:00 pm 
healthy is sexy

I agree that adding bones is more realistic, but a much better idea would be to MAKE THE MANNEQUINS BIGGER!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:36 pm 
stranger in an orange land

what posseses people?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:57 pm 
the original orange

tooold4this wrote:
what posseses people?

A push to make shoppers insecure because people with low self-image will be driven to impulse-buy to make themselves feel better... more than a confident person would. I think all of this is intentional.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:54 pm 
orange you glad?

Quote:
A push to make shoppers insecure because people with low self-image will be driven to impulse-buy to make themselves feel better... more than a confident person would. I think all of this is intentional.

this world is a scary place if people really want me to be insecure. that is really bad karma.

imagine the incredibly good karma of helping people to feel good about themselves, to better themselves, and to move on to pay it forward and help still more people. there isn't math to describe how incredible that is.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: club monaco mannequins emaciated *link to triggering pic
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:13 pm 
orange is a state of mind

dreadlockandload wrote:

mannequins are unrealistic as is. adding this to them says, well they were unrealistic as a size so absolutely miniscule even our smallest size needs pinning on them, so we made it REALISTIC by portraying anorexic, emaciated mannequins!

:-?

BUT, i cant find a picture or any mention on the net, but it seems that Big W in Bathurst has introduced mannequins that are slightly more rounded than these 'ordinary' mannequins we see. Still probably on the lower spectrum weight wise, but better none-the-less!

I have seen it in a few shops that I've gone to... They use bulldog clips to accentuate the thin waist of the manniquins.

I look at the outfit they give them (usually the ones at Target) and make my own changes (if I like the look). i.e. super skinny jeans on this body is neither flattering or comfortable.

A few here in Carindale have super-skinny ones then pregnant ones. But, the pregnant manniquins still don't account for the 'changes' your body goes through... it just has a baby belly. My friends and I joke that it is surprising that the manniquin can even fall pregnant, given that she still looks way too thin to be menstruating/ovulating.

I don't really take notice of the manniquins or think that "they" are going to be able to show me what that dress is going to look on my post-pubertal grown up body...with boobs, hips, and thighs. And, half the time it looks better on a body that's more shapely (nothing against naturally thin women) than the manniquins who need bullclips to wear the XS.

That and they need nipple stickers because it's like "high beam!"

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:09 pm 
orange you prolific

Mannequins are just creepy in general in my opinion....

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:35 am 
orange goddess

Are they stupid or sth? :/ I just don't understand.Why does the mannequins don't come in all sizes?Why?Because skinny is beautiful?Gosh,it's not.They should focus on something more important than making girls anxious about how they look just because she mannequin they saw has visible bones.

If nothing changes, nothing changes.

Offline Profile