Last visit was: It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:34 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:14 pm 
Spender wrote:
I'm sorry - should I take the URL down? I looked at them yesterday, and also stopped looking when I got to the topless one, but I was so completely horrified at what he seemed to be trying to do to women's bodies. I just feel like it is another assault on women's bodies. I don't expect women to want to shave their heads and want to grow facial hair, but who the hell gave him permission to mess around with women's bodies like that? I saw it as just an extension of "woman as hanger", except that it is "woMAN as hanger".

Lemme know if I should take it down.

I don't know really. I knew it could be triggering before I clicked on it and it is relevant to here... maybe you could change the title removing the "May Be" in the trigger warning.. but maybe I'm being pedantic.
Is androgonous what they're going for here? Or is it more than that a combination of both sexes? The breasts and the facial hair?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:15 pm 
orange is a state of mind

did anyone else notice that they also covered their ears?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:53 pm 
Fame wrote:

*that's* what it was! I was trying to figure out why they looked particularly alien, but I couldn't put my finger on it. [beyond the obvious, that is]

These pictures are incredibly disturbing. As much as it seems like a continuation of models as walking hangers for clothing [by making them androgynous], it almost looks like the designer is using his models to make a statement outside of the fashions. To be honest, it looks like the use of shock tactics to me. I still find it incredibly wrong, and on some level kind of offensive to a basic concept of 'human'...

Strangely, I didn't find this triggering at all. Mostly just horrendously wrong...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:13 pm 
the original orange

Kara-Corinne wrote:
Fame wrote:

*that's* what it was! I was trying to figure out why they looked particularly alien, but I couldn't put my finger on it. [beyond the obvious, that is]

Maybe it's "art" rather than fashion. Maybe it's meant to make people consider the idiocy that is fashion today... completely disconnected from reality.. pushing models to augment and change themselves in order to be acceptable... then paraded down a catwalk wearing whatever clothing... doesn't matter so much as the act of parading them down. Gaunt bald and whiskery with fake boobs. The addition of the fake whiskers and fake baldness does seem to match/contrast the fake breasts. All three things were added to the model for her to parade down the catwalk, but only two of those things are "odd" to us. I did notice the covering of the ears. ["La la la I'm not listening"?]

Quote:
These pictures are incredibly disturbing. As much as it seems like a continuation of models as walking hangers for clothing [by making them androgynous], it almost looks like the designer is using his models to make a statement outside of the fashions.

Unless it's meant as an anti-fashion statement to draw attention to how women are increasingly starved and artificially augmented before being presented to us as "models" to copy... even though it's unrealistic for us to want to look like models. It would be impossible for me to "pull off" this look without having fake stuff put in and on me. That's why I think it's anti-fashion. I did not consider how fake augmentation was an expected part of fashion so much before seeing this alien display. If this doesn't make you see the absurdness of it all, what will?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:21 pm 
orange is hot

Obviously I'm in the minority, but I kinda like it. Fashion at that level is more art than clothing anyway - how many of those uber-high-fashion runway pieces could ever work in real life, after all? - and I see the treatment of the models as an artistic statement. I don't see the facial hair as an attack on Woman, but rather as a way to blend Woman and Man into something other, or perhaps more, than human. It's an intriguing concept, albeit an odd one to express in that sort of venue. I suppose, though, that you use whatever stage you happen to command.

That being said, I still have a problem with the weight of the models. That's something I'd have done through sculpture, if that really was an integral part of the art piece. It's such a widespread problem, though, that I don't think this particular designer should be singled out more than all the other designers who use rail-thin models.

I also highly doubt that the topless model got implants specifically for this show. That just...doesn't seem reasonable or feasible. She might have been specifically chosen because she had the implants, which raises some issues that...do weird me out a little. I'd have to think about it some more to really articulate what they are and why they don't sit well with me, however.

I do have a taste for weird, disturbing and/or absurd art, which I fully admit. I want to see Human Centipede, if that gives you any idea. :-)

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:38 pm 
Quote:
do have a taste for weird, disturbing and/or absurd art, which I fully admit. I want to see Human Centipede, if that gives you any idea.

haha, eewwww, i haven't seen that, but i kinda do want to as well lol. have you seen the work of mike parr? like when he nailed his arm (his remaning arm i should say) to a wall? i learnt about him in year 12 and was like PHWOAR!

I still don't know how I feel about them. Like at first glance I was just like NUH this is wrong, but I don't know. I mean, Iknow they're wrong, but how and why and what are they trying to say? the mind boggles.

Quote:
I read about this in Marie Claire or something a few months ago- facial hair on models is in, apparently.

WE MUST ALL GROW FACIAL HAIR! lol. i have a friend who works at cosmo and she lives for trends now, and I don't like it. I like magazines that show random stuff and say 'wow how cool is this!' but i hate it when magazines are dedicated to telling you what you must wear and how. which i guess, like has been said, could be what this show is about.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:11 pm 
orange is hot

dreadlockandload wrote:
Quote:
do have a taste for weird, disturbing and/or absurd art, which I fully admit. I want to see Human Centipede, if that gives you any idea.

haha, eewwww, i haven't seen that, but i kinda do want to as well lol. have you seen the work of mike parr? like when he nailed his arm (his remaning arm i should say) to a wall? i learnt about him in year 12 and was like PHWOAR!

I still don't know how I feel about them. Like at first glance I was just like NUH this is wrong, but I don't know. I mean, Iknow they're wrong, but how and why and what are they trying to say? the mind boggles.

Nope, I'm not familiar with Mike Parr...I'll see what I can find of him on the web.

I think that gut "NO! WRONG!" reaction is what the designer was trying to go for - maybe a human version of the uncanny valley?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:10 pm 
orange is hot

quote"meggles"

" I find it interesting/strange that the topless model has gone through so much to get herself to that level of thinness/emaciation, eradicate fat etc, yet she has gone to the effort to get breast implants"

i was thinking the exact same thing...uhhh wtf

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:47 am 
think posh spice though

and then quickly remove the image of her from your head :eek:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:52 am 
i love orange

I was shocked- yes by the pictures, but more-so the level of disturbance they caused me.
They're just so incredibly unnatural looking. I felt as if i never should have seen them.. a little sick almost.

a very strange concept that's forsure.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:32 pm 
orange is hot

I had known for a while runway models were picked often to resemble adolescent boys but this is something different, creepy in a different way. These look like hybrid of old and young, human and alien, nubile female and ancient man. Bizarre.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Moderator: post-mods Go to page Previous  1, 2