Last visit was: It is currently Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours

Post subject: Berlin fashion show ***PHOTOS ARE TRIGGERING***
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:22 am 
admin goddess from hell

This really shocked me when I first looked at it yesterday, and not because of the usual emaciated models, but because of the facial hair they were all sporting. I puzzled over it over the past day, and this morning when it came up again in my local online newspaper (they leave some things on for two or three days - I wasn't looking for it), I realised what was bothering me. It felt like the transformation was complete: the transformation of women's ideal body image into that of skinny young men - the shape, the hair, the baldness - I feel were all designed to enmasculate the models. View with caution.

http://www.timescolonist.com/Photos+Bald+whiskered+models+walk+Berlin+runway/3259262/story.html

~~ John Lennon

Last edited by Spender on Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:35 am 
orange goddess

WOAH. You're right!

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:58 pm 
That's really disturbing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:14 pm 
healthy is sexy

That is really. . . disgusting, to be honest.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:14 pm 
i feel really weird about that :( it's like transgender.....but by force, i dunno

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:16 pm 
oh my god.....i just go to the one without a top on......

:? this is really quite.....i dont know the right word

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:18 pm 
dreadlockandload wrote:
oh my god.....i just go to the one without a top on......

:? this is really quite.....i dont know the right word

I found that one and immediately closed the link.. that image is still sitting in the forefront of my mind. I wonder how the models felt being dressed up like that. I wonder if they realised this is what the designer had in mind when they turned up for the catwalk?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:23 pm 
Quote:
I found that one and immediately closed the link.. that image is still sitting in the forefront of my mind

same...and same :(

Quote:
I wonder if they realised this is what the designer had in mind when they turned up for the catwalk?

i reckon ey, i bet they wouldnt care though if it means getting them a little more fame.

ergh, and i was totally going to shave my head and grow a beard today!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:38 pm 
admin goddess from hell

I'm sorry - should I take the URL down? I looked at them yesterday, and also stopped looking when I got to the topless one, but I was so completely horrified at what he seemed to be trying to do to women's bodies. I just feel like it is another assault on women's bodies. I don't expect women to want to shave their heads and want to grow facial hair, but who the hell gave him permission to mess around with women's bodies like that? I saw it as just an extension of "woman as hanger", except that it is "woMAN as hanger".

Lemme know if I should take it down.

~~ John Lennon

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:51 pm 
the original orange

They look like aliens from a Dr Who episode... especially the last shot where they are all walking down the runway together as a group.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:38 am 
exploring my potential!

Wow, um, I don't know what to think about it! It's all a little bit odd!

On a side note, I find it interesting/strange that the topless model has gone through so much to get herself to that level of thinness/emaciation, eradicate fat etc, yet she has gone to the effort to get breast implants (I'm just guessing, obviously I don't know that, but they don't really fit with whats going on with the rest of her body....)

And then I also find it odd that they were turning them into males, but picked the model who actually has breasts to be the topless one.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:06 am 
post-mod squad

^^ Agreed. And, this was bizarre. Can you imagine paying to sit in the audience of this and having these people come down that runway? I might have made my own runway by running out of there screaming. They look like freaks. Why on Earth would someone do that? You don't even notice the clothing, only the oddity of it all. No thank you.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:52 am 
stranger in an orange land

meggles wrote:
Wow, um, I don't know what to think about it! It's all a little bit odd!

On a side note, I find it interesting/strange that the topless model has gone through so much to get herself to that level of thinness/emaciation, eradicate fat etc, yet she has gone to the effort to get breast implants (I'm just guessing, obviously I don't know that, but they don't really fit with whats going on with the rest of her body....)

And then I also find it odd that they were turning them into males, but picked the model who actually has breasts to be the topless one.

It's not so odd. I think the supposed 'ideal' is skinny/emaciated BUT with oversized breasts, isn't it?

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:29 am 
the original orange

frstdbtts wrote:
It's not so odd. I think the supposed 'ideal' is skinny/emaciated BUT with oversized breasts, isn't it?

The supposed ideal as presented here is emaciated, pale, with fake breasts, fake baldness and fake whiskers. The addition of more fake added features just makes the boob implants stick out more.

Offline Profile  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:46 am 
orange is a state of mind

I read about this in Marie Claire or something a few months ago- facial hair on models is in, apparently.

But it's really not flattering, especially not on those skinny models...surely that's kinda cruel?

I don't need you to respect me, I respect me,
I don't need you to love me, I love me
But I want you to know, you could know me
If you change your mind

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Moderator: post-mods Go to page 1, 2  Next